Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.

Seriously. It can't get worse especially when translators scam and lie to the developers in translating game item descriptions and potential descriptions with partial effort of poor grammar, or just no effort at all.

• This, is Nemesis Shooter in NA. Nemesis Shooter has longer description than just "An item equippable as an Assault Rifle." It's 13* weapon for crying sakes. It has its own unique description to it. Why is this not even translated fully? Who was the translator? Like, did this person put ANY effort for what they paid for? I can't believe devs have paid this person full contract paycheck to do this job. alt text

• This, is NA's Wand. Yes. It says Wand: An item equippable as a Wand. It's very short, mundane and it's a one star weapon so it needs no description, right? But here's the thing if you look at JP version: alt text

• This, is JP's Wand. Yes. A wand. It is their one star weapon. It definitely doesn't look like a description is more than just one sentence right there as "an item equippable as a Wand." It has more informations. So lets look below. alt text

• This, is Google Translation of JP's Wand description. It says: "A cane officially adopted by ARKS. It has excellent responsiveness when exercising the technique, and even a beginner can strike stably." --- HECK, EVEN GOOGLE TRANSLATION CAN grammar properly, and also doesn't leave the item's description for ONE STAR weapon as Wand: "An item equippable as a Wand.". alt text

• This, is ARKS-Layer translation. I am not even going to say whether if this is from Google Translation or if it's from their own words, but it clearly shows description as: "True form of the next-gen weapon, high in power and stability", which makes it sound cool. Heck, any current MMORPGs have their own weapon descriptions and backgrounds to it too. alt text

Now I am not saying ARKS-Layer should be doing the job, but whoever is in charge of item translation in your development team - needs to GET FIRED. Right away. Because they are obviously scamming you, and they are obviously cheating their way to do copy-pasta on EVERY single weapons/units - (EVEN AC scratches) - with no efforts put into it to translate them one by one.

This is not okay. Please PLEASE PLEASE fire the person and find a better person who will item translate for you. Heck, even I will write it for you if I need to free of charge. This is just shameful for me. I complained about this few months ago, but Nemesis/Slave weapons being labeled as that makes me fear the worst for Austere/Ares and Episode 4-6 content items that deserve better descriptions.

Fire your current translator, take away their paycheck back. They are scamming you.

There are a lot more other than the translator at fault.

Even translators for video games have QA testers. Sega themselves should have had QA testers. There are a lot of shoulds involving some things in this game that should have never passed the editorial phase, but they have a deal with the distributor, so they can take all the shortcuts they want and get away with it.

It also doesn't help when everyone's first choice is to assume SEGA had nothing to do with a game they have 100% control over in regards to the defects.

Oh well, I am sure it was someone else's fault.

I have to admit, I am pretty disappointed with the item descriptions. They should definitely be somewhat if not the same as the JP version.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.:

so they can take all the shortcuts they want and get away with it

This. This is a big problem. Like I dont know why the translators/QA testers even thought this will not be looked over by fans. Because it would be. Quests translations are also not in sync with their names and can't stick with one name too. So this is not okay, and they really should look back and repatch them or something.

yeah the translation is some of the laziest I have ever seen. During Dark Falz Luther the mission commander says "Godspeed Operative" but the captions say "Gods Be Operative" like did Microsoft hire the drunkest people?

Maybe MAYBE they do have full translations of everything that will be revealed once we catch up with JP.

So it goes like this... *tinfoil activated

• They already have a large item description file with all the text already translated properly(maybe a file for all aspects of the game) for EP 1-6 but

• They accidentally saved over the text file for 1-3 with it.

• Putting the 1-6 translation file in could break it so..

• They machine translated the 1-3 quickly so they could release on time.

and that's as much stretching as I could muster

alt text

Here is another thing that needs to be mentioned. Do you see the translation (by fans in ARKS Layer) bottom left? even with JP original text, there are texts in there. NA translation clearly shows that it is BLANK. NADA. ZILCH! as ARKS League Office Mimi states it.

And do you see meseta texts with no capital M onto Meseta? That's really poor work too.

Not to mention, right shows it's H10 Missouri Twin but it's labeled as H1 Missouri T.

Come on. This is not the NA version we deserve. At least put an effort that you tried. This is really giving away, they didn't try at all.

alt text

It should not even be said Gods Be Operative. It's "Godspeed, operative" or "Godspeed, ARKS operative". Even English dub says "Godspeed, operative!".

@LapisWave yeah, the dub being spoken incorrectly is what leads me to believe that it wasn't a mistake or oversight, it was just simply turn this project into an asset and "fix it later". The problem is that things like this often don't get fixed. This has been a problem with publishers since the digital distribution platform became the norm.

Even a giant game like Mass Effect elected to just put out the game to make money and add the real ending later.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.:

@LapisWave yeah, the dub being spoken incorrectly is what leads me to believe that it wasn't a mistake or oversight, it was just simply turn this project into an asset and "fix it later". The problem is that things like this often don't get fixed. This has been a problem with publishers since the digital distribution platform became the norm.

Even a giant game like Mass Effect elected to just put out the game to make money and add the real ending later.

I really hope it is not the case. These mistakes can be corrected pretty fast and be reset on the next maintenance with small patches. We do need to hope that GMs would forward this and take this as consideration. It really breaks the immersion on enjoying the game, at least for me.

@LapisWave said in Game Devs Should Fire the Item Description Translator for Scamming and Cheating for their Paycheck.:

alt text

It should not even be said Gods Be Operative. It's "Godspeed, operative" or "Godspeed, ARKS operative". Even English dub says "Godspeed, operative!".

The spelling leaves a smile on my face at times, too.

Well, that is rather lazily done... I wonder if some would consider it criminally lazy...

I've heard is stated...

"There's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix."

https://forum.pso2.com/topic/1681/translate-weapon-lore

Was responded to by a GM in April, so they have definitely forwarded the information.

Theg changed the maintenance window based on feedback, but these haven't been done yet. There is a possibility some of them will be added with the Episode 4 release, though.

Really hope they fixed most of it.

I'm glad there are people calling the translations out, especially JP players that came over and saw what they did to some of the translations who know they aren't supposed to be that way, and I'm glad that the problems with the scarce and often incorrect translations are being passed on via the GMs.

I just hope that every part of the translation job that got rushed gets re-evaluated, cause I agree; this isn't the NA translation we deserved, and it's absolutely pitiful that translations done by fans for free greatly exceed what was put out for the official release.

I know the fans have had years to translate all of this and the translation team for the official release had considerably less time, but that isn't a good enough excuse for a team that was paid to do translations. Hopefully the devs take the oncoming years to fix their rush job instead of just leaving it as it is.

Huh, maybe this is why I haven't given anything a read. My brain must've seen the lousy translations, and lack of any sort of lore, and made me think of it as boring to save me time.

Where as Destiny 2 has too much lore hidden in game mechanics and whatnot, PSO2 NA is completely lacking. I do like reading weapon lore, so it's kind of disappointing seeing the comparison between JP, fan translation, and official NA. Hopefully EP4 solves this.

Honestly, even the fact that google translate came up with a better translation only makes me wonder what was going through the head of whoever even attempted these descriptions.

You almost have to intentionally try to make it be that awful.