Dark Falz Luther

Was he a Dark Falz the whole time? Or did he just become one during Episode 2 and was able to retain his sense of self?

Unlike with the Elder and Apprentices we see in the story, Luther was not possessed by the spirit of a Dark Falz, rather he himself manifested it due his corrupting desires for knowledge, essentially meaning that the personality of the Dark Falz is an amplified version of Luther's normal personality. It is not clear exactly when he became one, but given that we know that his current body is that of the original Casra, it is possible that he has been one for some time.

Photons can become corrupted by enough negative emotions, this is how Profound Darkness was first created, a copy of Xion corrupted by the negative emotions of its creators.

This is all spoiler territory, in case anyone didn't know that already.

Long story short, he's one of the only remaining true "Photoners", if not the only one left. His goal was to merge with Xion(whom he saw as his only real equal) to become omniscient, but you stop him from doing that in a way that denies him of it forever and it causes enough negative emotions to corrupt his photons. Being a Photoner he's already exceptionally powerful, and as a result became a Dark Falz.

He hadn't really been one for a while. He actually lead the Oracle's research facilities(and controlled much of the Oracle in general) pretty much up until his corruption. The game goes into his backstory quite a bit throughout all the episodes and we revisit and learn more of it in later story content.

@Tesonael I've gotten through Episode 3, is there more on his story after that?

Most of his background and story takes places through Episodes 1-3 and the various main/side story content. We do get a bit more about him in Ep 5, but he isn't the focus. It's been a while, but as I recall Ep 4-5(and probably some stuff in 6) has info regarding ARKS, the Photoners and other bits of history that indirectly relate to his story.

I think every Dark Falz in PSO2 was originally a Photoner who fell to corruption. [Luther] did not need a new vessel upon becoming a Dark Falz because he was already using the body of the first Casra. Had he not been consumed by [Gemini], his essence would have sought a new vessel after he was executed by the Yonohate

Just an off-topic question, in EP3 where you meet Luther again, I chose to purposely not trusting Luther's instructions, is there a way to replay the level so I can see what will happen if you actually follow his instructions?

@Cakewalk In the Story Quest menu, once you select an Episode, there is a little drop down at the top of the list that allows you to go back and play Events and Quests that you have already completed.

If he wasn't already a dark falz by the time of his transformation, where did the bird falspawn come from?

All Falspawn, the Dark Falz included, are the emanations of the sealed Profound Darkness.

@RedDingo7777 They are but the Dark Falz in PSo2 have their own personalities based on their hosts. It's why you see Elder not wanting to cooperate with Gemini/Double, becuase his host was an obstinate thickheaded guy who just liked fighting strong people, so Elder was more interested in a challenge.

The Profound Darkness tends to possess suitable people, and use them as hosts for the Dark Falz, who seem to act as its heralds, but the process isn't perfect or very efficient given the amount a strong host can change the personality.

Afin was even able to Un-Falz his sister with your help due to her not being a complete Dark Falz, since Apprentice was split before then.

Luther's greatest oversight: The sheer boredom Omniscence would bring.

Nerds, evil or not value knowledge as a treasure worth pursuing. But Luther wanted to absorb the Akashic Record's librarian, thus gaining access to ALL knowledge past present and future, which would basically be skipping the whole point of life as a nerd, the pursuit of knowledge, and going straight to the most extreme end of the road scenario possible.

I imagine he could have become like another profound darkness if he had succeeded, the boredom leading to severe depression and hate.

In Episode 5, the bird falspawn were referred to as Luther's. I'm still not convinced...

@Mattwo7 How come? Luther IS clock chicken after all.