Best PAs for ranger, Rifle and Launcher

What are some of the best PAs to have equipped for boss fights and big damage?

You don't use launchers for bosses unless you're able to hit two bosses at once with Cosmo Breaker.

For rifle you use Satellite Aim or Positron Blast depending on the fight. You can use Impact Slider during movement phases to keep dps going while giving yourself iframes.

i hate satellite aim so much 😞

Photonic laser on launcher is good for anga when the boss swaps to rifle resist or you can hit a bunch of mobs like on falz elder hands. As stated above though the rifle is the weapon for bossing. Launcher is for regular mobs and most other situations. Satellite aim is a gunner pa, satellite cannon is what they are talking about.

People don't give Steady Shot enough credit. Yes it takes a while to fully execute, but so does Positron Blast, the latter of which can miss some faster moving bosses. Steady Shot on the other hand can easily nail bosses who dodge and jump around a lot, and it allows you to move while using it so you can dodge yourself. As long as Standing Snipe was active at the start of the PA, the damage bonus applies.

My advise, use Positron Blast when you know you can use it and line up the shot so it hits multiple times. If you're unable to do that due to the boss size, position, or speed, use Steady Shot.

I found this while looking for something else. It was high enough on the google search list and underwhelmingly answered, that I wanted to offer a more robust answer. I put some numbers in of me hitting the practice dummy/rock-bear face. Each Example Damage is 1 use of the PA, no chain. Almost all hits were crits, which is mostly irrelevant for the examples, but just know I didn't record video of the damage, just pen and paper what I saw and final 20sec Dummy numbers. All my PAs are lvl 17. This is my opinion as an accomplished NA-only Ranger (Trailblazer units, rifle, Atlas EX rifle and launcher, etc. Ranger is my main and I have all other classes at 80 or 90). I sub hunter. I play as Vengillian on Ship 3.

Ranger Bread and Butter PAs (In descending order).

1. Steady Shot. This is the Ranger Bread and Butter. It connects with 10-12 (not sure on exact number of hits) near-instant hits over the course of the PA, and allows full movement, often necessary in boss fights and has amazing PP economy. It is very easy to chain and few if any mobs/bosses can move fast enough for any of the shots to miss. Its total damage is equivalent to, or slightly higher than one tick damage from Positron Blast. If you could only have one photon art to solo the entire game with, no other PA on this list could reasonably do it, save for Steady Shot, which could do it with ease. When in doubt, steady shot. Example damage 26,000 per hit, total 312,000.

2. Positron Blast. Arguably the best PA for Bosses or those DPS check/push phases where you need to just nuke hard. Its best followed by a chain, which should be Steady Shot or Normal/Blight Round. You cannot move while charging the PA, and any damage that knocks back or staggers you will fully interrupt the charge. It charges to 2 stages, and you always want the second, full charge. Despite all that, when you let it fly, it's medium'sih speed will travel through ALL hit boxes in a straight line, ticking damage each time. While a single tick of damage is less than Steady Shot, it will often hit 2, 3, 4, etc times traveling through your target. Example damage 240,000 first tick, 240,000 second tick, 90,000 3rd tick, 584,071 total damage.

3. Impact Slider. Not so much for its damage, this is your evade PA. When a situation arises where you think "i need to be completely immune to damage for a second or two, and the split second dive roll isnt enough," then you need Impact Slider. The start up is slow, but you are immune to all damage during the slide, which is my primary method to avoid some boss mechanics. In addition, you shoot while sliding and do decent damage, though I only use it for its invulnerability frames (called i-frames). Example damage, 3 hits, 92,000 92,000 83,000. Total Damage 356,001

4. Piercing Round. This is like Positron Blast lite. Its a instant shot, travels about the same speed, and penetrates enemies/hit boxes. Steady shot is better overall damage, but if you need to shoot through the bosses big, bulky body to hit the weakpoint, or you can line up multiple hit boxes to get several hits on a quick shot while on the move, this is your PA. Also note that the animation is fast, so you can rapid fire this, though its 20PP per, so you can dump PP fast with this. 112,000 first tick, 40,000 second tick, 152,000 total damage.

5. Slideburst. I use this less and less, but when you create the customized version, you can hold it down and glide over the ground, firing your gun for about the same damage as normal attack continuously. Its damage is on the weaker end, but nothing else offers that kinda mobility (the speed of the glide is about par with your run speed after a second or two of no actions, which is faster than your move speed while attacking).

6. Satellite Cannon. This is a primer PA. It hits harder than most, including Positron Blast. When I say primer, I mean "the boss isnt here yet, but will be, you charge this PA up to release when you have a target". However, like Positron Blast, you cannot move while charging and any stagger or knockback will interrupt your charge. Because the 'beam from orbit' can be harder to get the hit box you want and the damage is spread out over a longer animation from start to finish, you could ignore this and just use Positron Blast in its place. I personally favor this as opening damage (it hits the hardest and can be charged when you have no targets) and then I immediately move to getting Blight Round up and into normal DPS rotation. Example Damage 5 hits, 170,000, Total Damage 843,000.

Honorable Mentions:

• Diffusion Round: Shotgun blast, poor range, but does good aoe damage. Fast animation, can use while moving. Example Damage181,000.
  • Stealth Shot: A silly PA, but fun. The beginning of the animation apparently has i-frames, but its too short to use reliably. Overall, I look down on Rangers chaining this over Steady Shot or charging up a Positron Blast, though its nice to see variation in the field. Example Damage 132,000 or 152,000 (i used it twice to see if crawling did anything). -Grenades and Traps: Though not a PA, you should be using Grenades and Traps as your primary source of PP recovery. Normal shot will be off the table most of the time because you have blight round loaded, and the dive roll shot is less PP and a longer animation than just lobbing a grenade at its face. I personally only use Gravity and Stun grenades, and that refills almost half of my 205 PP.

Launchers: I have less time in with launchers, but will say this:

• Rocket Rodeo, Craft the custom PA version, and you can ride your rocket like a bike. Best for traveling around maps and or turning PSO2 into a go-cart game of "Can you run them all over?" Does decent damage at end, though I just roll out of the rodeo cause its faster.
  • Divine Launcher charged is big aoe, big damage
  • Cosmos Breaker: Requires over-the-shoulder because the projectile is so slow, you NEED to just aim at the ground to get its damage off fast. You are also animation locked while the damage triggers, but you can roll out of that to continue DPSing. Good AoE.
  • Photonic Laser: The launcher version of Positron Blast or Satellite Cannon. If you couldnt use Rifle for a boss fight, this is the PA you'd use whenever you'd normally Positron Blast.
  • Flame Round: Its a flame thrower. I don't care if it does 1 damage. Its a flame thrower... =D

@Grimwald Fyi i think you meant cannon cuz aim is gunner tmg pa fyi , worry not we all get the names confuse every once in a while too not trying to be mean just found it funny cuz I did this to last night explaining this to a friend too

You also have to remember Impact Slider, Positron Blast, and Slideburst all break Standing Snipe. So you can't use them multiple times in a row to max effect.

Riffle PAs:

• As stated before Steady Shot will be your best friend in just about any situation, it works with both Stationary Fire and Mobile Fire plus it can hold you in the air to help avoid ground based attacks, I spam this PA just about everywhere due to how useful it is.

• Another PA that comes in handy is Grenade Round, since you can use it on targets in small groups, or immediately after you tossed a Gravity Bomb at mobs forcing them into a tight cluster. This PA combined with OTS view is a useful tool when blowing up two or more crates near each other.

• Impact Slider and Slideburst are decent maneuvering PAs, although you end up not using them as much later on.

I keep forgetting I have Positron Blast and Satellite Cannon since a lot of situations I'm in I don't get enough time to set them up.

Launcher PAs:

• Triple Shot is helpful when you are getting swarmed by large mobs to thin the herd down.

• Photonic Laser is perfect on bosses that don't move around that much since while this PA is active you can't turn as fast. (Its basically a mini version of an AIS attack)

• Rocket Rodeo (Crafted version) gives you a quick speed boost for when you need to cover a lot of ground quickly from one end of an area to another.

I forget off hand another launcher PA I use, since I don't use it often enough and also because I use a riffle as my primary weapon while the launcher is a secondary.

@Ventus
Impact Slider easily beats Steady Shot in a sandbag setting, but Steady Shot is much simpler to use. That being said, I don't recommend Steady Shot outside of scenarios where you need to break specific parts on fast moving targets. You should also know that Slideburst crafted is our actual iframe PA, and not Impact Slider.
Video comparison on some PAs.

@Hatsodoom said in Best PAs for ranger, Rifle and Launcher:

People don't give Steady Shot enough credit. Yes it takes a while to fully execute, but so does Positron Blast, the latter of which can miss some faster moving bosses. Steady Shot on the other hand can easily nail bosses who dodge and jump around a lot, and it allows you to move while using it so you can dodge yourself. As long as Standing Snipe was active at the start of the PA, the damage bonus applies.

My advise, use Positron Blast when you know you can use it and line up the shot so it hits multiple times. If you're unable to do that due to the boss size, position, or speed, use Steady Shot.

Ep6 content will slap any Ranger that uses Steady Shot, moving or not. Sure it's PP efficient, but if you find yourself being constantly interrupted, you're better off using Impact Slider for similar performance.

You also have to remember Impact Slider, Positron Blast, and Slideburst all break Standing Snipe. So you can't use them multiple times in a row to max effect.

Even without Standing Snipe buffs, Impact Slider and Positron Blast can still beat Steady Shot due to their sheer strength, especially if you can land 3+ ticks with Positron Blast.

EDIT: clarified some points

Listen you do you, I'll do me kay?

@Hatsodoom said in Best PAs for ranger, Rifle and Launcher:

Listen you do you, I'll do me kay?

You're more than welcomed to do whatever, but these are some reasons why Steady Shot isn't as highly credited nowadays. It does get a indirect buff from Etoile sub though, where Tech Arts Count Bonus (combo'ing PAs grants the next PA +15% damage, up to 3 times) + Standing Snipe bonuses makes Steady Shot better as a sustain option.

So I watched the video and it would appear that as pp usage goes up dmg goes up. Interesting trade off. When we are talking (using the video provided) 8% delta between the two (steady and impact sliders) pas outputs it is a tradeoff.

I'd agree to disagree as well. Firstly, Crafted Slideburst is ONLY immune during the little spin. Impact Slide is immune for 4 or 5 times the length (hence my recommendation, as I find is much easier to hit exactly the mechanic dodges without fail).

In a practice round, I did two 20second rounds

Round 1. Auto attack and Perfect Attack into Impacted Slideburst, my PP held out the entire time

Round 2. Auto attack and Perfect Attack into Steady Shots.

Steady shot GROSSY out damaged Slideburst for me (over 1million damage more). The video that Courage linked was very good, and ALSO showed Steady Shot out performing Slideburst. https://streamable.com/8tcmep However, I don't know the conditions of their test numbers, but it seems in line with the samples I provided of how I ranger.

Etoile does not penalize steady shot. In fact there are skills that reduce PP consumption for spamming a single PA and the 3/4 PA rotation (see Blac to Basics video) is something steady works very well in. However, as noted previously, if you have time to just stand still (and Etolie affords this) then there are superior PAs to damage with.

As always, folks are free to do them, but at least now this thread has some meat to chew on now! Cheers.

@Ventus said in Best PAs for ranger, Rifle and Launcher:

I'd agree to disagree as well. Firstly, Crafted Slideburst is ONLY immune during the little spin. Impact Slide is immune for 4 or 5 times the length (hence my recommendation, as I find is much easier to hit exactly the mechanic dodges without fail).

Impact Slider has more iframes, I'll give it that. But, you're neglecting the fact that Slideburst crafted is highly spammable due to the insanely low frames: 46f Slideburst (no cancel), invincible for the first 32f vs 120f Impact Slider (cancel), invincible approximately during frame 33-70, which makes it better as a reaction tool than a pre-emptive one that Impact Slider covers. It's also worth nothing that Slideburst crafted also maintains height and lets you reposition around enemies, making it more applicable in most situations.

@Ventus said in Best PAs for ranger, Rifle and Launcher:

However, I don't know the conditions of their test numbers, but it seems in line with the samples I provided of how I ranger.

These tests were done as Ranger/Hunter, assuming Blight Rounds + Stationary Fire + Alliance ATK buff + Weakpoint Damage Up from Random Drink effect + Shifta buff.

EDIT: Corrected i-frames for Impact Slider