Game Simply Won't Open after Windows 10 Update

Hey everyone, dumb question.

But suddenly after I updated Windows 10 PSO2 just simply won't work. I usually access it from my Windows menu and it just shows a white bar underneath it like it's updating like a normal app would. Attempted to reinstall last night but it seems like not even the uninstaller works. I reset my computer about 3 times before it actually uninstalled (I only knew it had uninstalled when I tried to do it again and it said it couldn't because the files didn't exist). I don't wanna have to go through this AGAIN because it took 5 hours to download and install last night and it doesn't seem like the files are automatically deleting when you do uninstall it.

I saw another fix in here saying to repair it but it doesn't seem like that works either. What's going on????

The game may have had an install progress bar on the start menu because a required component was being updated on MS Store. Sometime last week it showed up like that on my PC in the Start Menu, but I opened the MS Store and it was updating Xbox Console Companion and XBOX Game Bar. After those finished, the progress bar disappeared.

@Ragnawind

I'm already attempting to uninstall it again. Tried repairing. Xbox Game Bar seemed fine when I opened that. This is extremely disappointing. I've been waiting for a localized version of this game for 8 years. I'm not very computer savvy outside of hardware so I'm really nervous to mess with files and all that stuff (especially where I work from home now)

I had this exact problem, and what I had to do was uninstall it from the apps and features, then manually delete the C:\program files\modifyablewindowsapps\pso2_bin folder. However, I find this to be extremely dangerous, as this also happened to a friend of mine and he's reinstalling his entire computer because it flat out would not work. Windows store wont even redownload it, it just says "error". Its a massive cluster-f.

It's heartbreaking that I have a friend over from out of town on a lan party for the entire weekend during this event to really hit it hard and so far we've spent 12 hours trouble shooting, and about 2-3 hours playing in the short time it worked last night.

@falcron problem with manually deleting system protected files is that it doesn't delete the registries related to those files and can cause other dependencies to become corrupted.

When I got that problem I used a program to help me locate the registries related to pso2 and gameservices, uninstalled them properly, then reinstalled both and it worked fine afterwards.

I've redownloaded this game again in hope of some attempted fix and yet again i get a few hours of playtime after a day or so of downloading then when i come back to play the next day the stupid fucking program won't open either won't repair, won't reset, won't uninstall. So after a worthless 2 week wait again i have to reformat my SSD again because i thought there may have been some attempt of a fix here's for hope in one hand and shit in the other. Now thats another week lost off of premium subscription that i lose out on because of shit but of course the company could give a fuck less since they already have my money and have no intention of refunding or doing anything for anyone being constantly grieved by these problems. I've dealt with plenty of launches before but none that were 8+ years delayed and requires people to reformat because it tanks their memory storage so badly. Very unhappy and at this point not sure if ill ever return or give a cent of my money ever again. The one game I've waited for for years and once it finally hits it sinks. Just pure pathetic on your end microsoft and sega.

Just use the third party app everyone discusses.

I had issues with uninstalling and did 4 reinstalls. Got tired of doing it and moved on. Until/IF they fix the launcher I might consider using it.

Hey back about 6 hours later because it's finally installed/downloaded again. This time my anti virus flagged the actual launcher exe file and it won't restore. Stuck on the dreaded "update bar" on the windows side bar again. This time I went through xbox game pass to download it instead of the microsoft store. As I said, I'm really not good with software and I dont want to be in a constant loop of waiting 5-6 hours to see if it'll finally work this time.

@boris37 i tried that tweaker client it didnt work for me.

Been having the same problem. I install the game, play awhile, try to load it again the next day and nothing. It gives me the white bar under the name of the game in the start menu like the other person got. If you wait long enough, it just deletes the whole folder that the game is in. When I'm able to get to the files before loading a 2nd time, I get messages that I don't have permission to access some of the files. If I am able to open the properties of a file, it won't let me change any permissions either.

When I run it the second time and get that white bar under the name, I try going to task manager to end the process, but the game cannot be found. The only thing I can do is reboot the PC, and when I do this, the game deletes itself and that whole folder. A friend of mine plays it wants me to play. He's had no problem with it, but I see here that I am far from alone in this. It's very frustrating.

I heard there was going to be a patch on the 11th, but from what I'm reading, it doesn't sound like there is a patch, or it doesn't work if there is. Right now, I'm waiting the long wait for the update to download and will see what happens this time. This is my first time trying in awhile to install it.

i think i have a fix. at least it worked for me. if you havent tried it yet, run the game as an admin. if you dont know how open start menu, right click PSO2, mover more, click run as admin. hope this helps everyone!

Try the methods I've listed here: https://forum.pso2.com/topic/5053/fixed-game-won-t-start

This isn't for any cases that contain error codes. Just when the game won't launch at all.

@DNAngel349 , I tried going to properties to run as admin in the past, but only after I had already run the game once, exited and tried unsuccessfully to run it a second time. It gave me "you do not have permission to do this" type errors.

However, this time, right after installing it last night, I went to all of the executable files and set them to run as admin for all users before even running the game once. So far, I've been able to run and exit the game 3 times, so hopefully it's going to keep working.

Thanks

@drilus said in Game Simply Won't Open after Windows 10 Update:

Try the methods I've listed here: https://forum.pso2.com/topic/5053/fixed-game-won-t-start

This isn't for any cases that contain error codes. Just when the game won't launch at all.

If the game won't start again after what I wrote about doing above, I'll try out your method at that link. Thanks for taking the time to create those instructions. Hopefully, the way I got it to work so far won't hurt anything.

@DNAngel349 said in Game Simply Won't Open after Windows 10 Update:

i think i have a fix. at least it worked for me. if you havent tried it yet, run the game as an admin. if you dont know how open start menu, right click PSO2, mover more, click run as admin. hope this helps everyone!

I've tried that 😞