PSO2 WasMoved to D Drive, Now the Launcher Wants to be Reinstalled

I must say that this is rather inconvenient, and irritating. My C Drive remains full, and I am now required to relocate the files ONCE MORE! FIX YOUR LAUNCHER, SEGA! Even Nexon is more competent than this!

Oh, and I ran Repair, but now the entire App is dead. Wow, so amazing. Bravo.

Oh, and Reinstall doesn't work either. My only Advanced Options are to Uninstall or Reset. 11 GB Windows 10 version 1.0.7.0 App, with 0 bytes of data. Nothing about this makes sense.

Decided to install everything through the fanmade tweaker. So far, the original Microsoft files requested only 11 GB out of the tweaker's complete 60+ GB requirement. So yeah, that's complete incompetence from SEGA/Microsoft. No wonder your launcher uninstalls itself! Your data isn't even complete from the start.

The Windows Store only downloads 11GB with the launcher. Then, after the launcher updates, it creates the actual game folder in another location and downloads the rest from Sega, rather than Microsoft. This is by design. For some reason, some people have problems with it, while others don't.

The game doesn't take kindly to being installed on a different drive than your default storage device for whatever reason. In my case, I'd originally installed it on my C drive SSD(which is only 256GB total, and holds the OS and default stuff) because it gave me no choice. It nuked my game after a restart and downloaded multiple copies, and eventually I deleted them all and reinstalled it on D and it worked fine up until the update.

After the update, my windows store broke and I had to restart, which - surprise - broke the game again. The launcher stoill existed, but it misplaced the data files that were installed on D and instead insisted on reinstalling on C(which I allowed it to do this time, as I'm back to having 200 or so GB of free space) and appears to be working. These issues really aren't limited to installing on a different drive than your OS like some people claim, but doing so does bring potentially more issues(like the link between those files and the MS store being broken).

This has sort of been an ongoing issue with the MS store(though not to this extent) and unless Sega really is working closely with Microsoft to resolve this, I don't see it being fixed in the foreseeable future. Best to either use the tweaker or be ready to purge old files and reinstall on a whim. Really, this is par for the course given how many issues the average regularly scheduled Windows update brings.

I'm going to laugh if the almighty Microsoft can't even fix this. This is just sad for a business of that size. My tweaker data finished installing on the D Drive. The game still doesn't appear to be launching.

Error message: Phantasy Star Online 2 can’t open because it is offline. The storage device might be missing or disconnected.

I still can't manage to find or make space on C Drive. It's a mystery as to where all the extra GB are.

Currently deleted all data pertaining to PSO2, including tweaker data. Attempting to install with Microsoft Store on E Drive, but the 11 GB that were free somehow are becoming far too full. Both E and C Drives are in a full capacity crisis. I still cannot find the GB which are inhaling all the space.

Data on the C drive is most likely inside of a hidden folder:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\MutableBackup

If you installed it on another drive via the MS store, the file path is generally D:\WindowsApps or whatever your drive is. It's not usually hidden in this case, but you still won't have permission to access it.

TLDR the store thinks the game is corrupt or something and moves it to that folder before redownloading it, but never actually deletes it. WindowsApps is hidden, and it and all folders inside are owned by TrustedInstaller(which handles MS Store installs) and can't normally be accessed by users, even with admin. You can take ownership and delete the data(which may potentially cause MS store issues even if you give the proper permissions back) to get your space back.

@Tesonael said in PSO2 WasMoved to D Drive, Now the Launcher Wants to be Reinstalled:

Data on the C drive is most likely inside of a hidden folder:

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\MutableBackup

If you installed it on another drive via the MS store, the file path is generally D:\WindowsApps or whatever your drive is. It's not usually hidden in this case, but you still won't have permission to access it.

TLDR the store thinks the game is corrupt or something and moves it to that folder before redownloading it, but never actually deletes it. WindowsApps is hidden, and it and all folders inside are owned by TrustedInstaller(which handles MS Store installs) and can't normally be accessed by users, even with admin. You can take ownership and delete the data(which may potentially cause MS store issues even if you give the proper permissions back) to get your space back.

I'm not finding a WindowsApps file. All I see close to the name is Windows Defender. At least, it's not in the C Drive. Did a search, both E and D drive contain 0 bytes of data in the files. Seems to not want me to look in it.

It's there, but it's hidden. Go to your Program Files folder(not the x86 one), then click the View tab at the top. On the right-most section there should be a check box for "Hidden Items". Tick that and the WindowsApps folder should appear. Alternatively, get a disk space management program(TreeSize is a popular choice around here) and use that to pinpoint where all the excess data is.

Either way I'm 99% sure your missing data was tucked away safely under the rug somewhere, courtesy of Microsoft.

@Tesonael said in PSO2 WasMoved to D Drive, Now the Launcher Wants to be Reinstalled:

It's there, but it's hidden. Go to your Program Files folder(not the x86 one), then click the View tab at the top. On the right-most section there should be a check box for "Hidden Items". Tick that and the WindowsApps folder should appear. Alternatively, get a disk space management program(TreeSize is a popular choice around here) and use that to pinpoint where all the excess data is.

Either way I'm 99% sure your missing data was tucked away safely under the rug somewhere, courtesy of Microsoft.

Inconvenient, too complicated. And there is no Hidden section in the View tab.

3c347deb3ae51287cac5717c190a243e.png

Nothing like that?