Had no issues besides lobby lag, but used the reddit fix for that, now game won't start after update (No Error Messages)

Solution: Take Ownership over pso2_bin and all of its files.

Before you ask, I DID undo the reddit fix where I copied pso2.exe into being pso2launcher.exe; by restoring the old pso2launcher.exe.

After the update however; I can't start the game now, like everyone else had. (I had zero issues before besides lobby lag, which I manually fixed by directly launching the game with the reddit fix.) I press start game on the launcher, nothing happens. No nProtect / GameGuard, no error messages, nothing. There's no PSO2 processes running invisibly either.

Check File did nothing to resolve the issue. It completed within 2 minutes, 35 seconds as I have an SSD as my only drive, thus extremely fast:

alt text

alt text

Same issue. Not gonna lie, I haven't experienced anything like this mess in 15 years of MMOs. If this keeps up, people are going to leave and the game is dead within 6 months.

@Yui2387 said in Had no issues besides lobby lag, but used the reddit fix for that, now game won't start after update (No Error Messages):

Same issue. Not gonna lie, I haven't experienced anything like this mess in 15 years of MMOs. If this keeps up, people are going to leave and the game is dead within 6 months.

I'm running a complete clean re-install after deleting pso2_bin entirely and running CCleaner on the registry after uninstalling it from the Microsoft Store. (Since pso2_bin isn't removed due to most of the files being downloaded from the game's launcher, rather than the MS Store.)

If it doesn't work after that, then it's a SEGA/Microsoft problem.

yeah... your best bet at this point is probably just uninstall the game, and make sure any leftovers are deleted. check the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps folder. get rid of 100B7A24.oxyna_1.0.7.0_x64__wyfsmff9ynw7j. check the Deleted and Mutable folders too. also check C:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps. i wouldn't worry about registry. ccleaner probably won't help.

you could also delete your SEGA folder through My Documents. it has some potential garbage that will just re-build when needed. you will lose your settings, though. up to you. however, i do notice, on a healthy game install, deleting this folder forces the launcher to make a file check.

after that, be sure you restore any permissions you changed back to default, if Windows hasn't already done this for you.

for good measure... before installing the game, uninstall Gaming Services. this is for Xbox and there seems to be an error going around. uninstall that, restart PC and check the WindowsApps folder and delete the folder(s) for it if you see any. they would directly contain, "Microsoft.GamingServices...". check both Deleted folders and MuteableBackup too. leftovers should be found, and will get re-used if left. (assuming the uninstalled version is the same of the newly installed version) they stay because the uninstall is incomplete due to files being in-use, i tried to delete directly after an uninstall. re-install Gaming Services and reboot PC to ensure services are completely running and then re-install game.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/gaming-services/9mwpm2cqnlhn?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

~

~

in my case, i also had no issues other then the lobby lag. tried the fix and blammo. lols.

yeah, so what seems to be happening... in order to use the fix you need to change permissions. which causes a huge ruckus in Windows, it doesn't like it. it will eventually catch on and fix the permissions. for me, it was on every 3rd launch attempt. i tried several times and re-downloading the game too. even the slightest change to Security Permissions induced the issue.

my game was getting moved to the MutableBackup folder for repairs, which took eons to do. i am not sure why the base client that downloaded through the launcher is what gets moved for repairs. i am also not sure why any patch/update data is excluded from that move. even after catching this and manually moving the data back to where it should be, the launcher had to re-download 2~3GB worth. and trying to launch the game as-is from MutableBackup made the launcher in Japanese. LOL

~

~

i know that is a wall of text, but good luck!

I did a clean install and everything, even uninstalled avast antivirus (since the new pso2.exe was considered a false positive, which I then made avast restore the file/add an exception. But I didn't want to deal with it again.)

Still didn't work (gameguard updated perfectly fine however.) But I decided to go into the ModifiableWindowsApps folder and take ownership of the pso2_bin folder again. I didn't apply the reddit fix however this time.

After taking ownership, the game ran fine, loaded perfectly, and no lag whatsoever (even without the reddit fix.) In addition, the options menu no longer hangs it seems.

lol. this game has had one seriously hectic launch. people who are having issues try something and gold. people without issues try something and all turns brown.

well, hopefully that will last for you... i would still say there was something wrong with the permissions. i don't know what was restoring them on my end, either MSStore or the OS. some people are fixing things by changing permissions, others it wrecks everything. talk about confounding!

hard to say where the fault goes to on this. from my experiences with any of this, it certainly seems to be more on Sega than Microsoft. they are doing something pretty strange with how the data is getting handled. probably causing a confusion somewhere.

hard to say where the fault goes to on this. from my experiences with any of this, it certainly seems to be more on Sega than Microsoft. they are doing something pretty strange with how the data is getting handled. probably causing a confusion somewhere.

It's Microsoft's fault, they could've chosen a platform that doesn't have these permissions bs (steam) but they wanted this exclusivity nonsense. I've tried a bunch of betas and new games over 18 years and i've never seen anything this messed up, it's mind blowing and hilarious coming from 2 big companies.

@coldreactive said in Had no issues besides lobby lag, but used the reddit fix for that, now game won't start after update (No Error Messages):

I did a clean install and everything, even uninstalled avast antivirus (since the new pso2.exe was considered a false positive, which I then made avast restore the file/add an exception. But I didn't want to deal with it again.)

Still didn't work (gameguard updated perfectly fine however.) But I decided to go into the ModifiableWindowsApps folder and take ownership of the pso2_bin folder again. I didn't apply the reddit fix however this time.

After taking ownership, the game ran fine, loaded perfectly, and no lag whatsoever (even without the reddit fix.) In addition, the options menu no longer hangs it seems.

It sounds like it was caused because the app was trying to use a file that your user account didn't have permission to access. Glad you were able to fix that.

@GHROTIC said in Had no issues besides lobby lag, but used the reddit fix for that, now game won't start after update (No Error Messages):

It sounds like it was caused because the app was trying to use a file that your user account didn't have permission to access. Glad you were able to fix that.

And the patch gave it those permissions. Meaning, it looks like every time the game patches, I'll have to redo my take ownership

@Zeroika3384 said in Had no issues besides lobby lag, but used the reddit fix for that, now game won't start after update (No Error Messages):

It's Microsoft's fault, they could've chosen a platform that doesn't have these permissions bs (steam) but they wanted this exclusivity nonsense. I've tried a bunch of betas and new games over 18 years and i've never seen anything this messed up, it's mind blowing and hilarious coming from 2 big companies.

honestly? i would lay most of the blame on the users. fact is, plenty of people had ZERO issues with the game. aside from lobby lag, that is. givin that... i am more inclined to believe people had previously messed with something on their computer. or maybe have their account running in elevated mode with UAC disabled at the registry.

but at the same time... too many different users have different sets of updates on different versions of the OS running on their PC. (or whatever, you get it) but fact remains... plenty of people experience no issues. with that being said, it makes it all that much more difficult to pin down exactly who the fault belongs to.

could be a combination of everything. users, os AND game dev.

@BLaCKnBLu3B3RRY said in Had no issues besides lobby lag, but used the reddit fix for that, now game won't start after update (No Error Messages):

or maybe have their account running in elevated mode with UAC disabled at the registry.

That's not my problem. The game automatically runs in admin mode as it is. I have UAC enabled, obviously. Windows has problems with allowing certain folders from getting in our hands. Some folders cannot be opened at all unless you use another OS to do it. I've had certain system folders do this on every windows version starting from Windows XP / Media Center Edition. I've had it happen on 5 different machines.

Even after taking ownership of the folder or changing its permissions to allow me access/etc. the OS would still refuse to open the folder. Double clicking it or hitting enter on it would do nothing at all. As a last ditch effort, I opened Windows in Safe Mode to try and open the folder, and it STILL wouldn't open.

Even after taking ownership of the folder or changing its permissions to allow me access/etc. the OS would still refuse to open the folder. Double clicking it or hitting enter on it would do nothing at all. As a last ditch effort, I opened Windows in Safe Mode to try and open the folder, and it STILL wouldn't open.

I understand why they wouldn't allow you to access some folders to keep the important system files integrity but what i don't understand is why install a game on those folders, why install a game in folders we can't see or have access/control over, if something goes wrong ( and it did ) it's a nightmare to fix.

@BLaCKnBLu3B3RRY said in Had no issues besides lobby lag, but used the reddit fix for that, now game won't start after update (No Error Messages):

@Zeroika3384 said in Had no issues besides lobby lag, but used the reddit fix for that, now game won't start after update (No Error Messages):

honestly? i would lay most of the blame on the users. fact is, plenty of people had ZERO issues with the game. aside from lobby lag, that is. givin that... i am more inclined to believe people had previously messed with something on their computer. or maybe have their account running in elevated mode with UAC disabled at the registry.

but at the same time... too many different users have different sets of updates on different versions of the OS running on their PC. (or whatever, you get it) but fact remains... plenty of people experience no issues. with that being said, it makes it all that much more difficult to pin down exactly who the fault belongs to.

could be a combination of everything. users, os AND game dev.

Mine was a clean install of Windows 10 Home 1909 I did a couple months ago for working at home. No core settings on the PC were changed to avoid issues with glitchy work web api's; only Chrome and ESO were installed aside from drivers. In my case the install would either delete the files or try to move them into the hidden backup folders until I took ownership. I've also seen others who had issues with clean installs. It's almost like a random lottery glitch with the Windows Store.

LOL! well, then to the contrary... this might be a work-around for some people then. i mean to disable UAC. not something normally recommended, but if interested... all-in-all, i would wait for SEGA and/or MS to resort the issues. but if some are desperate enough...

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server]
; No-one will be a member of the built-in group, although it will still be visible in the Object Picker / 1 - all users logging on to a session on the server will be made a member of the TERMINAL SERVER USER group

"TSUserEnabled"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]

; 0 = Elevate without prompting / 1 - Prompt for credentials on the secure desktop / 2 - Prompt for consent on the secure desktop / 3 - Prompt for credentials / 4 - Prompt for consent / 5 (Default) - Prompt for consent for non-Windows binaries
"ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin"=dword:00000000

; 0 - Automatically deny elevation requests / 1 - Prompt for credentials on the secure desktop / 3 (Default) - Prompt for credentials
"ConsentPromptBehaviorUser"=dword:00000003

; Detect application installations and prompt for elevation / 1 - Enabled (default for home) / 0 - Disabled (default for enterprise)
"EnableInstallerDetection"=dword:00000000

; Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode / 0 - Disabled (UAC) / 1 - Enabled (UAC)
"EnableLUA"=dword:00000000

; Only elevate UIAccess applications that are installed in secure locations / 0 - Disabled / 1 (Default) - Enabled
"EnableSecureUIAPaths"=dword:00000000

; Allow UIAccess applications to prompt for elevation without using the secure desktop / 0 (Default) = Disabled / 1 - Enabled
"EnableUIADesktopToggle"=dword:00000001

; Admin Approval Mode for the built-in Administrator account / 0 (Default) - Disabled / 1 - Enabled
"FilterAdministratorToken"=dword:00000000

; Allow UIAccess applications to prompt for elevation without using the secure desktop / 0 (Default) - Disabled / 1 - Enabled
"PromptOnSecureDesktop"=dword:00000001

~

~

~

it might even be possible that adjusting a different setting, without disabling UAC, could have an effect to remedy the issue.

if someone tries anything, and wants to easily restore UAC to default, just goto Control Panel and adjust it there. move the slider, save and re-adjust to your liking. aside from the TSUser setting at the very top, this will adjust every other entry accordingly. restart PC.

i would test something myself, but am not exhibiting the same issues as others. or rather i somewhat sorta-kinda, but not really, am. just in a reversed scenario of sorts. strange that!