Questions about Terms of Service

I read through the terms of service and read a few things I was curious about. Not sure if it was just translated and posted or if these items are as intended:

**Eligibility:

"The Services are intended solely for persons who are 13 or older. Any access to or use of the Services by anyone under 13 is expressly prohibited. By accessing or using the Services you represent and warrant that you are 13 or older."**

With the rating being M for Mature, should this be stated as is, or was this determined by a separate entity?

**Jurisdiction:

"These Terms and any action related thereto will be governed by the laws of Japan without regard to its conflict of laws provisions. The exclusive jurisdiction and venue of any action to prevent the actual or threatened infringement, misappropriation or violation of a party's copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, patents or other intellectual property rights will be the Tokyo district courts and each of the parties hereto waives any objection to jurisdiction and venue in such courts."**

Same for this one. Would the jurisdiction be due to SEGA's ownership, or should this reflect the NA release?

Sorry to be a bother, just curious about those statements!

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Questions about Terms of Service:

I read through the terms of service and read a few things I was curious about. Not sure if it was just translated and posted or if these items are as intended:

**Eligibility:

"The Services are intended solely for persons who are 13 or older. Any access to or use of the Services by anyone under 13 is expressly prohibited. By accessing or using the Services you represent and warrant that you are 13 or older."**

With the rating being M for Mature, should this be stated as is, or was this determined by a separate entity?

This would be for the COPPA stance in the United States. It's kind of like saying "You must be 13 years or older to register to so and so website, so get your parents permission!"

**Jurisdiction:

"These Terms and any action related thereto will be governed by the laws of Japan without regard to its conflict of laws provisions. The exclusive jurisdiction and venue of any action to prevent the actual or threatened infringement, misappropriation or violation of a party's copyrights, trademarks, trade secrets, patents or other intellectual property rights will be the Tokyo district courts and each of the parties hereto waives any objection to jurisdiction and venue in such courts."**

Same for this one. Would the jurisdiction be due to SEGA's ownership, or should this reflect the NA release?

Sorry to be a bother, just curious about those statements!

I think it mentions both United States and Japanese law must be applied to all content pertaining to property rights. Maybe @GM-Rappie can give a more clear explanation for this.

@John-Paul-RAGE , to answer about the second part (regarding jurisdiction), games which have their Online Servers or a large portion of its 'service' (e.g Updates) managed by SEGA of Japan have their Terms of Service and Privacy Policy be based off of theirs (PSO2's Privacy Policy and Terms of Service is that of "SEGA Games" (SOJ) and not "SEGA of America" or "SEGA Europe"). There aren't many SEGA games that do this as they are usually mobile titles (look up English games published by "SEGA Corporation"). This may be due to SOJ being more involved in the game's day to day management (as their publisher account is used for updates and they might be the ones running the Azure Game Servers).

@GM-Deynger is there any update on the terms of service? Specifically the effective date remaining blank and I am curious if the legal jurisdiction will remain Japan.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Questions about Terms of Service:

@GM-Deynger is there any update on the terms of service? Specifically the effective date remaining blank and I am curious if the legal jurisdiction will remain Japan.

SEGA of America doesn't run PSO2NA. So the Jurisdiction will stay Japan for legal.