What is war cry

In the skill tree, I see builds that put points into War Cry but I don't know what it suppose to do? Or even how effective it is with the the war brave ability. I'm a Guard Stance hunter if that helps with an explaination.

It taunts nearby enemies and is supposed to make you generate more aggro.

^

War Cry by itself simply increases your aggro (which considering aggro is based on DPS for the most part, is nearly useless). The reason you take it is for War Brave because it gives you some extra damage and recovers PP based on how many enemies are affected (3% damage/per, up to 15% total and 7PP/per up to 35). The other reason to take it comes much later when level cap is raised to 85 and Hunter gets War Attract which applies Jellen to enemies affected by War Cry (AKA enemies deal 10% less damage).

(which considering aggro is based on DPS for the most part, is nearly useless).

It's not entirely useless as Hunters can generate more damage when they have aggro and easier time countering/setting up certain attacks, which makes boosting your aggro generation at the beginning worth it. It's just that at 3SP and 14 seconds duration it's not 100% effective, on top of other Hunters using war cry too and Gunners using Showtime. It also does one more important thing, that's resetting aggro table for enemies pinged with it, so you don't need to worry about arriving late to a boss.

Jellen to enemies affected by War Cry (AKA enemies deal 10% less damage).

Actually it's more like 5% due to certain way enemy attack is calculated. War Attract also makes losing aggro much harder to the point other players can't gain aggro by DPSing, and instead have to first use some aggro reset skills like another War Cry or Victory Shout. It's also useful in conjunction with one Phrase augment that's not available on NA right now, which makes you deal 5% more damage to enemies affected by jellen and is best in slot for Hunter pretty much.

Also very nice for defense oriented quests (Mining Base Currently, more to come.) to direct attention away from defense objectives as an aggro snap.

@Hooonter I mean, I didn't say it was entirely useless. As you said, it has it's uses but for the most part the aggro is not very relevant.

As for the Jellen part, I was referencing the shown percentage, not practical one. And yeah, Phrase decay is priceless for Hunters.

95/95 Hu/Fi on JP until I decided to try Et and fell in love . But yeah, personally never bothered with the aggro part of war cry as I mostly ran stuff solo.

thank you for the response and answers! Yeah I knew aggro wasn't really a thing and didn't know if the War Brave boosts were worth it. Didn't know about the lvl 85 skill either.

@AwkwardSatori Well I didn't mean to be rude either way. Just wanted to add some info and explain further.

@Hooonter All good. Didn't think you were rude and you did explain further for others.