Out of combat health recovery?

I got the game yesterday and have never played the Japanese version so total newbie.

This may be super obvious to everyone else but I couldn't figure it out even after trying a bunch of internet searches.

How do you recover HP after a fight?

I made a new character, a Hunter - I go to a quest and fight a few creatures. My HP drop from do to say... half...

Then I'm just standing there and the fight is over and it never moves. After one fight I think my original 140 or so, was at 20. I sat for a half hour in one spot, waiting to see it start recovering, and searching online to see if there was some 'rest mode' I was missing or anything, and it never recovered.

How do we sustain between fights?

Is there some obvious feature I am missing?

There's no passive HP regeneration (unless you are playing Summoner). All HP must be restored through items, such as Monomates and Dimates, or techniques such as Resta, or other various methods such as HP steal on some weapons.

You start with monomates which are on the sub palette by default, on number 1. You can buy more from the little shop on the gateway ship.

Thanks, so just different philosophy and need to stock up on a lot of those before heading out.

@Kichwas said in Out of combat health recovery?:

Thanks, so just different philosophy and need to stock up on a lot of those before heading out.

Actually, one of the best things to do is treat the -mate items that drop from enemies as "Health Pickups." They're one of the most common drops in the game after all.

There are the -mate items, the Star Atomizer, and the Resta tech. There is also the Cosmo Atomizer which revives everyone itnit's area, heals them for full, and clears status ailments, but it's also a cash shop item and not worth buying.