Star Gem Expiration (does AC expire too???)

@GrandTickler87 Tell me, in what situation would you end up with your star gem expiring?

Do you plan to take a WHOLE year off from the game to return to it?

It's not that much of an issue to log in 1 day out of 365 days for like 15 minutes or even 10 mins, do one daily, get one stargem and reset the timer.

Give me a situation where you will reasonably run out.

@SleeprunnerInc said in Star Gem Expiration (does AC expire too???):

@metafalica1 It's a consumable ''item'' much like 400% boosters.

Should the 400% boosters not expire when used since you PAID for it?`

Fuck no.

All items are temporary ingame since if the service stops, you lose everything anyways.

Don't buy premium currency if you cannot accept that they could just shut the game down whenever they wanted.

That's a false analogy. The Star Gems disappearing would be like the booster in your inventory disappearing because you didn't use it.

@GrandTickler87 Tell me, in what situation would you end up with your star gem expiring?

It's not that much of an issue to log in 1 day out of 365 days for like 15 minutes or even 10 mins, do one daily, get one stargem and reset the timer.

Yes. I've done this with multiple games before. I've done it with PSU, FF14, and Atlantica Online.

@metafalica1 It's a similar thing.

Another person said that it should not expire since you bought it.

Same with utilizing a 400% booster.

A 400% booster is a TIMED consumable that you spent money to buy.

You buy stargems which is an ingame CONSUMABLE.

Practically the same as a 400% booster except that stargems are immediatly activated and have a one year timer to run out which reset each time you earn even one gem which takes less than 10 mins to do.

How about Warframe where your ARgon crystals expire by 50% every 24 hours and no, it does not reset if you gain another argon to my knowledge.

So you willingly take a whole year off from the game knowing that some items expire?

FF14 has items that expire too if not used such as event items, wedding invites, your crops etc.

you expect me to go trough life every single day, while im not even playing the game, and be reminded of "oh my stargems may expire soon! i better login this game i may not even have installed on my pc anymore due to taking a break". NEVER have i returned to a mmo i quit within a single year. also you speak as if 1 year is a long period. now if it were 10 years then i'd understand. its honestly mind boggling why anyone outside of sega would defend this.

@GrandTickler87 said in Star Gem Expiration (does AC expire too???):

you expect me to go trough life every single day, while im not even playing the game, and be reminded of "oh my stargems may expire soon! i better login this game i may not even have installed on my pc anymore due to taking a break". NEVER have i returned to a mmo i quit within a single year. also you speak as if 1 year is a long period. now if it were 10 years then i'd understand.

1 year is fucking 365 days dude.

That's 8760 HOURS.

That's 525 600 MINUTES.

You are telling me that you are going to knowingly take a break for a full year, knowing that your star gems WILL expire and that you only need to get 1 gem to refresh it which takes less than 10 mins to do?

If you say you won't even return if you quit within a year then you should not even be talking.

At this point it feels like you are flat out trolling.

1 year is a pretty long time dude.

lol whatever man, guess ill never return to this game ever again once i take a break from it. all you do is defending corporal greed and unnecessary limitations

@GrandTickler87 Then you should shut up since this issue does not concern you.

You admitted that if you quit from a game within a year that you do not return to it.

Item's expiring happens in nearly every single MMO that has existed you nitwit.

Get rid of that tinfoil hat and go outside.

@GrandTickler87 Then you should shut up since this issue does not concern you.

You admitted that if you quit from a game within a year that you do not return to it.

Item's expiring happens in nearly every single MMO that has existed you nitwit.

Get rid of that tinfoil hat and go outside.

it does concern me, as the reason of staying away is for this very same issue. items/currency a completely different thing, also no need for namecalling after you call someone else a troll it makes yourself look like the badguy. but i see what you're doing here. applying a little reverse psychology

@GrandTickler87 You have a whole damn year to log in ONCE to get a single stargem which you can get within a reasonable 10 minutes.

IF you are going to return to the game, you most likely will have it installed at some point.

If you didn't log in within a year, that is completely on you and it is fair to assume that you weren't going to spend those gems anyways as you would have logged in to prevent them from being destroyed OR spent them already.

This whole argument is mind bogglingly stupid as it is a very reasonable expectation for a player to log in ONCE to make sure their item does not vanish.

An incentive if you will to keep playing even if for only an hour or less.

Same things happen in FFXIV, WoW, Destiny, Maplestory, Perfect World, Shaia online and thousands more.

Paid items do expire every now and then if you don't collect them on time, don't use them, or they got removed from teh game for reason.

Though I don't particularly like the idea of expiring currencies, SEGA (and every other company that offers virtual currencies in Japan) do this to avoid taxation laws that apply to both companies and civilians. In-game currencies that have real-money value purchased as a legitimate service (such as AC and SG) are taxable under Japanese law as assets. In order to avoid being taxed on them, and to avoid filing lengthy and expensive tax forms, they are set to automatically expire one year after purchase. Since they are set to expire, they have no real value under the law, and both corporations and civilians are not taxed on them.

Its an unavoidable situation for at least the JP version. Though there is this difference between the NA and JP clients. AC expires as well in JP, but for the NA version, only SG is described as expiring after a year.

It should also be reminded that if a purchase, even as little as 1$, is made for SG/AC, the timer resets while still allowing it to be considered non-taxable in Japan. Still dont know why that discrepancy exists between NA/JA regarding AC, it could be some sort of conflict with US or International laws that AC needed to be changed in the NA version. As far as I know, Microsoft runs the servers/store/etc. but all of the customer support etc is still being done by SEGA. Even with an international release, SEGA is still subject to Japanese laws, and its likely that Microsoft acquiring licensing rights allowed at least AC to be changed.

Or its an oversight and AC will expire in NA as well. At this point its too hard to tell.

@AS7-D-00 I think the reason is because AC is not a currency you can gather ingame, which is why it was changed to not expire (Or should not expire, however there are reports of it vanishing due to bugs etc.)

But Stargems as they are something you can gather ingame, it doesn't matter if it expires as it will work the same way as Argon does in Warframe or any game that has anything that can expire.

I am just describing why this is the case for PSO2 and Japanese companies that offer virtual currencies by extension. In the case of PSO2, it is not necessarily done to keep people playing (though that probably plays a part of it), but as a tax avoidance due to Japanese laws. Said avoidance surely benefits the companies, but it also ends up benefiting civilians as well, since they won't be taxed on an expiration-based currency either.

I think the primary reason for AC in the NA version not expiring is likely due to NA/International law conflicts. Microsoft has licensing, but it has no influence over Japanese law. Its probably some sort of law jargon dealing with AC being the premium currency only obtainable with money (and being used in what the game considers its "cash shop"), and needs to not expire in order to comply with certain laws or regulations with an international/NA release. So like you said, since Argon isn't "THE" premium currency in Warframe.

Though it should also be noted that specifically Earned SG does not expire, not even in JP, only purchased. Earned SG does not have any value under the Japanese laws either.

@SleeprunnerInc The length of time in which it is available before it expires doesn't matter. If it is not okay for them to make a 400% booster disappear from your inventory without you using it, they should not be able to do it for Star Gems either. Star Gems, Astracites, and AC are all different forms of in game consumables. The only difference is literally which ones shows up in your inventory and which ones do not. It doesn't make it any less scummy.