Names for past Dark Falzes?

@Mattwo7 I just don't see how you get "Faras" from "Farusu", but whatever, it doesn't really matter anyway.

My initial point in the post below was that "Dark Force" was a mistranslation in some of the classic games (Force would be フォース, "Foosu") and that in the JP versions it always had the same name, ファルス.

I didn't think I needed to use ファルス specifically in that post, I didn't think anyone would nitpick about saying that Falz was always its name in the JP versions (since Falz has been the official localization for the past 20 years)...

@Ezodagrom said in Names for past Dark Falzes?:

It was always Dark Falz in the JP versions of the classic games, Dark Force was a mistranslation.

I guess I should have said this in that initial post instead, is this better?

"It was always ファルス in the JP versions of the PS games, be it the classic games or the modern ones, and ファルス is currently localized as Falz, but it was localized as Force in a few of the classic games."

._.

I just don't see how you get "Faras" from "Farusu"

@Mattwo7 said in Names for past Dark Falzes?:

"Farusu" is phonetically identical to "Faras" with a u at the end. It's not pronounced anything like "Falz".

I don't know why I once again have to repeat something I already explained in my previous post.

I didn't think anyone would nitpick about saying that Falz was always its name in the JP versions (since Falz has been the official localization for the past 20 years)...

Just because "Falz" is the official translation doesn't mean that's what it is called in Japanese and I'm baffled as to why you would act like it is. Sure it might be a nitpick, I won't deny that but I for one find it nothing short of confusing regardless.

"Farusu" is phonetically identical to "Faras" with a u at the end. It's not pronounced anything like "Falz".

I don't see how "Faras" and "Farusu" are phonetically identical. They're not. Unless you're applying english phonetics into ファルス, which you shouldn't do, vowels sound different in different languages after all.

Unless you're applying english phonetics into ファルス, which you shouldn't do, vowels sound different in different languages after all.

Unless it's a loanword or complete gibberish that has no real meaning in the first place. ファルス is definitely the later.

Unless it's a loanword or complete gibberish that has no real meaning in the first place. ファルス is definitely the later.

It doesn't matter if it's a loanword or gibberish, it's still gonna follow the japanese phonetics rules, not the english ones (in the case of loanwords, they're adapted to follow the japanese phonetics, like, kiss -> kissu).

Technically when it comes to Oracle any one has the potential to become a Dark Falz once corrupted far enough, as seen in what happened to our own character and Matoi.

As for surnames for each Falz, we really don't have much to go off of for names. The closest thing we could possibly say is when there's no other prior name like we know Elder likely came from Schleggar, they would take on the name of their host like what happened to Luther (Loser). So Dark Falz in PSO would be Dark Falz Rico. The third Dark Falz in End of the Millenium would be Dark Falz Seth. It'd be hard to give names to the first two Dark Falz of that game since they didn't really have living hosts (Zio was controlled telepathically so that doesn't count) and neither did Phantasy Star II's (It was captured within Pandora's Box, but it was also likely the same Dark Falz from Generations of Doom given the timeloop that occurs in one of the endings.) The original Dark Falz might have had one but we don't know what the name of the Paseo Mayor was.

Also let's remember that when Dark Falz had come through in Phantasy Star, that wasn't the first time. Ryucross was set up intentionally by whomever created Algol (I've been saying it's the ARKS, as in PSO2's a prequel to Algol, for some time now but we're waiting for the story to complete to see if I'm right) as a warning system to remind the inhabitants of Algol of their duty to defeat the Profound Darkness's forces as there was a known flaw in the seal that is the Algol star system. There had likely been hundreds if not thousands of incursions into Algol from Dark Falz entities given the time scale between the creation and when Alis's adventure began. I'll grant though that it's unlikely it happened while Waiss was unifying Palma.

@PrinceBrightstar The only officially named Dark Falz named after their host to my knowledge is Luther/Loser. Though I guess my name for the PSO one isn't much better in that regard.

@PrinceBrightstar Bravo i couldn't of said that theory any better and i share that theory ever since Generations of Doom came out. If PSO2 is truly the prequel we are in for a real treat

Tbh when I was translating things from the classic games, I had to do a double-take because my first read was "phallus". lmao That was before I even knew the term Falz though.

@ApollosAmour Looks like they actually brought that "translation" back for the Taiwan version of Idola. Not sure about the other regions that have it in English.

@Mattwo7 The one that just released? I haven't opened it yet.

@ApollosAmour The beta is already over.

@Mattwo7 Yeah, I saw once I finally did open it after posting that. 😭

Surely he's a spawn of The Profound Darkness. Yeah i know the classic PS series isnt really cannon in PSO2 but i'm oldskool 🙂