Game taking up 150gb of hard drive space, or more

Is there going to be a solution to this? I literally have no games installed except for PSO2 on my 250gb SSD right now and I only have 20gb of free space. Using Folder Size Explorer I can see that there is a hidden "VTRoot" folder which contains a second identical copy of the game on top of what is actually in my modifiablewindowsapps folder.

Is there a fix for this yet?

Sadly the fix is to use the PSO2 Tweaker and install outside of the windows store following their instructions.

The windows store installation keeps full game old versions even after uninstall & reinstall. It is some weird functionality of the Windows Store. It keeps old versions in a folder called "WindowsApps/MutableBackup/". Every previous install,reinstall, or "check files" modification is in there.

My game was breaking and I had to keep reinstalling. I had 300GB of installs in that folder. Ever since I nuked everything and used the PSO2 tweaker install method, it is just 1 game.

@imaunicrncharly said in Game taking up 150gb of hard drive space, or more:

Is there going to be a solution to this? I literally have no games installed except for PSO2 on my 250gb SSD right now and I only have 20gb of free space. Using Folder Size Explorer I can see that there is a hidden "VTRoot" folder which contains a second identical copy of the game on top of what is actually in my modifiablewindowsapps folder.

Is there a fix for this yet?

Quick question. Do you have Comodo as your AV? If so, that is where that VTRoot folder came from. Anything it decided to contain is locked up in there. For some reason, it puts games in there making them unable to be accessed. You can apparently turn off auto-containment to prevent that from happening.

Ahh yes thats absolutely correct Ragnawind. It'd be funny if i'd been running the game virtualised this whole time LOL. The hard drive space is still being taken up though, I guess by that hidden mutable backup folder

Ahh yes thats absolutely correct Ragnawind. It'd be funny if i'd been running the game virtualised this whole time LOL. The hard drive space is still being taken up though, I guess by that hidden mutable backup folder

Anything in the VTroot folder should be deleted. The game can only run from the WindowsApps folder. If anything is in MutableBackup, you can safely remove that.

So what I did was go into Comodo and reset the containment in the internal tasks menu. Free'd up 70GB. How the hell PSO2 got put into containment is beyond me but yeah, there you go. CHECK YOUR ANTIVIRUS PEOPLE IT'S GETTING FALSE POSITIVED. Used Comodo for over a decade and I know the telltales of a containment app, green/gold border around the exe when you run it. Even when I ran it as a window it didn't have a border. (I run it as a window when I trace symbol arts). Somehow, somewhere, Comodo flagged it.

And Massive Kudos to Ragnawind for picking up what the issue was, I never would have guessed. Been running it without the launcher for a week now and I think it was only while the launcher was running that it got contained. Possibly when I moved it from one hard drive to another via windows apps move. Would explain why it took 2 and a half hours to move 70 gig. Reported the false positive on Comodo boards.

And Massive Kudos to Ragnawind for picking up what the issue was, I never would have guessed. Been running it without the launcher for a week now and I think it was only while the launcher was running that it got contained. Possibly when I moved it from one hard drive to another via windows apps move. Would explain why it took 2 and a half hours to move 70 gig. Reported the false positive on Comodo boards.

The funny thing is, all I did was search onlinne for a VTroot folder and found a topic about it on Steam of all places. Someone was talking about how Comodo uses the VTroot folder for its containment system and a game they installed from disc ended up in that folder, instead of where they chose to install it. That lead to the assumption of it being a Comodo issue.

Yeah like I thought it was just part of the funny/wierd install that MS already does with the game lol, i miss when things just installed to a directory. This hasn't happened to me ever, but I suppose this is the first game i've ever installed off the MS store

So two weeks is coming up and there’s nary a peep from MicroSoft that they are doing anything productive.

Other than a tweet saying they are aware and they are sorry. I’d like to play, but I just can’t risk this thing practically bricking my hard drive again.