Re do the NA localized translations

That Lillipa->Lilliput one showed up again in the new content, though I can't remember what. Fourie (or one of the other NPCs on the top ring) is also missing a chunk of her sentence if you talk to her after the big story event on the ship. Looks like someone just deleted it by accident. There's other translation, formatting, and grammar errors in the story cutscenes as well.

They did, purposefully, delete a lot of Fourie's stuff when the JP version streamlined the story by removing the old progression method relying on a thing called Matterboards, or possibly Divergence Matrix as they refer to it during cutscenes in NA. Fourie and other NPCs all had Client Orders, which some of the dialog even expanded on their character. It also had you go out on exploration quests in order to find the cutscene, giving them more context. In my opinion, the story itself was better in the old version. However, the progression was on a grid system with a lot of objectives and branching paths, most of which can be only done one at a time, and quite a few even relied on finding rare enemies and rare weapon drops. Though, it also had some good rewards that are no longer available in JP, and aren't all available in NA, a few being Meseta Fever I Units, and 8 more Creator's Emblems. I think SEGA should make these rewards available via an alternate method of a similar level of effort. The few Creator's Emblems that we do have are also still available in JP, and the exchange of 25 SG Scratch items for 1 Creator's Emblem doesn't make up for the missing 8 free ones. They also have an additional 3 from a thing called Omnibus, which was a previous rework of Ep 1-3 before the Matterboard removal, I don't know, but this might have been removed as well. Then an additional 1 per character from completing Story Quest 10-2 in PSO2es (mobile game). So methods to get these should be added as well.

Anyway, there's also the inconsistency issue with the translation. PSO1 had those Mags with the names Sato instead of Chat, and Nidra instead of Needler. SEGA should fix this as well.

However, PSO2 uses both Sato and Chat for these accessories. (Incorrect names highlighted in yellow, correct names in green): PSO2_Errors2.png

As shown in this image, they are the same Mags as in PSO1: PSO2_Errors3.png

PSO1 Mag info, top right, from PSO-World.

PSO2 Mag info, bottom right, from Arks-Visiphone.

@Home-Rowed No, I mean part of her sentence is literally just missing from the text box. Like if that sentence read "No, I mean part of from the text box". It's from the recent EP4 stuff too. Right after the invasion if you go talk to her before doing the next quests.

Well I noticed that the Teddie suit said "Bear Suit" when his name in all Localized versions of Persona 4 and its spin-offs and updates is Teddie.

Braver PAs are really bad translated and also ugly, I want the japanese names....

@FallenAngel87 Don't forget Gunblade PAs. On the bright side, they seem to have changed course from that as shown by the RWB3 weapon names.

There's a solid amount of discrepancies between terms, which tells me that the various translators they had working on the project weren't communicating with one another as often as they should. They more than likely provided solid terms to work with like Dark Falz and the like, but not with other things like skills and missions. A second pass to clarify those things would greatly benefit players.

I haven't combed through the script personally, but I see a lot of people implying that it's poorly translated. Lemme just say that just because the fan translation varies from the localization doesn't make it inaccurate or poor quality. There's a lot that goes into localization and it's dependent on many different factors. Each person puts their own spin on a script, for instance. I would say just don't be so judgmental on that aspect unless you're able to compare both translations to the original script and understand why these changes were made, or unless you know someone who can.

@ApollosAmour said in Re do the NA localized translations:

There's a solid amount of discrepancies between terms, which tells me that the various translators they had working on the project weren't communicating with one another as often as they should. They more than likely provided solid terms to work with like Dark Falz and the like, but not with other things like skills and missions. A second pass to clarify those things would greatly benefit players.

I haven't combed through the script personally, but I see a lot of people implying that it's poorly translated. Lemme just say that just because the fan translation varies from the localization doesn't make it inaccurate or poor quality. There's a lot that goes into localization and it's dependent on many different factors. Each person puts their own spin on a script, for instance. I would say just don't be so judgmental on that aspect unless you're able to compare both translations to the original script and understand why these changes were made, or unless you know someone who can.

I would like to add onto this and say that even the Fan-Translation had taken their own liberties in some areas. Some were for the best mind you and I do continue to respect their efforts, but discrepancies between the Fan Translation and the Official Translation should not be taken to mean one is more accurate than the other.

@Leonkh99 said in Re do the NA localized translations:

I would like to add onto this and say that even the Fan-Translation had taken their own liberties in some areas. Some were for the best mind you and I do continue to respect their efforts, but discrepancies between the Fan Translation and the Official Translation should not be taken to mean one is more accurate than the other.

People forget that things like the Katana and Gunblade PA names were done like that by the Tweaker guys on purpose.

@Leonkh99 For sure. When localizing, a lot of liberties have to be taken (especially with games), so it's not a cut and dry process like I think people tend to believe. Not saying this is the case either, but fan translations do tend to be more casual unless professionals are involved so leaning on them over the official localization can be problematic.

It was just bugging me because I hear gospel with things like this a lot without any idea of how the process works lol

fan translations do tend to be more casual unless professionals are involved

There's two main groups when it comes to subtitling Super Sentai and Kamen Rider. One of them is Over-Time, they're a lot faster but take a ton of "creative liberties" and also translate basically EVERYTHING even when it's a dumb idea to do so like with the core medals in Kamen Rider OOO because the forms the namesake character takes are all abbreviations that they didn't translate like how Taka+Tora+Batta=TaToBa. If they wanted to translate Hawk, Tiger and Grasshopper then they should have translated the form name as HaTiGra tooo... >.>

Then there's TV-Nihon, they're slower but tend to leave a few words untranslated here and there and don't even always use "TL notes".

Also pretty much every fansub will translate ojisan as "uncle" even when even in informal usage, it doesn't properly translate all that well (this is exactly why dub Jotaro endearingly calls Joseph "old man" and while that isn't quite right, it's probably closer) (I'm probably just annoyed because Kyuranger fans think Orion is literally Raptor's uncle even though their familial relation is probably not quite the same as that as they're closer to being siblings).

@ApollosAmour You're right about translating stuff like conversation and terminology without an official English term (proofread and I'll be happy), but as Ephemiel pointed out... PAs are in katakana in the JP version. The Katana and Gunblade are the only ones that match up to Japanese and German instead of English. It's different from something like Slide End being localized as Decisive Sweep.