Re do the NA localized translations

I noticed this with a Quna concert, I don't have a screenshot at all but during it I noticed that what was written wasn't exactly what she was saying, just really throws stuff off.

I didn't know all the other translation problems that were present, I usually just skip story sequences.

Bal Rodos? Kraris Kraiss?

Seriously?!

Pay the arks-layer team a fair amount and get them to do it. Sega got scammed.

@Richardaro said in Re do the NA localized translations:

Here's an idea: stop hiring cheap 3rd party services to get things done. Instead hire well known professionals (people) to do this kind of work, and do a thorough job. Geez, why do I have to keep telling you corporate imbeciles to use your common sense? Or perhaps you ignore common sense to save money, or don't have any, or simply don't care. Sorry, but the rest of us do care; and your poor service makes you look bad as a business. You want to save money? Get it right the first time.

They should have hired the people who made the fanpatch in the first place.

In any case, wouldn't said patch be an actual solution/option for players while SEGA sleeps on fixing the issue? Maybe make the Tweaker have an "apply fanpatch" option to just plaster over PSO2NA the JP translation.

https://ibb.co/stvf5sZ

"Persona Prince" (in quotes) Persona Paradox in image...

Running it through googleTranslate might produce more consistent results.

Edit: Wait I thought I was in general

Also, they've been slowly patching up the GARBAGE IN THE FORUMLA! "Gods Be Operative" is dead, long Live this PIECE OF ARKS TRASH!.

PSO2 NA is literally the "let me copy your homework and change it a little bit, it won't be noticeable" meme. It's been pointed out by several people that they have used the Tweaker's terminology in several instances, but not like the Tweaker team can do anything about it.

@Loona said in Re do the NA localized translations:

PSO2 NA is literally the "let me copy your homework and change it a little bit, it won't be noticeable" meme. It's been pointed out by several people that they have used the Tweaker's terminology in several instances, but not like the Tweaker team can do anything about it.

I actually kind of wonder if it would be possible to use the current translation patches for JP on NA somehow.

@Glitch , some of these can't be helped... names like Klaris Krays, Chroto, Gettemhult, Melfonseana, Pati, Tia and Risa are all Sega of Japan's "Official" name spelling that many official localizations use.

@Archetype-Luna I mean Sega hired fangame makers before so the whole "legal red tape" logic I'm sure some people would bring up doesn't exist.

They have no good reason to not hire Arks-Layer to fix it.

@Mattwo7 said in Re do the NA localized translations:

@Archetype-Luna I mean Sega hired fangame makers before so the whole "legal red tape" logic I'm sure some people would bring up doesn't exist.

They have no good reason to not hire Arks-Layer to fix it.

I was not really looking at hiring Arks-Layer on an official level. I was more wondering if it would be possible for Arks-Layer to set up Tweaker to be able to apply the English patches on the global version.

@Mattwo7 and @Archetype-Luna , im indifferent as to who is involved with. Both translations have their own quirks and there are things which the Official Translation has which I do genuinely prefer over the Patch team and vice versa.

Honestly... threads like these fail to take into account what goes on in localization. At this point its better that they fix what they have now then it is to go through the trouble of adopting a completely different script or redoing it all... especially given that there's a dub involved and doing so would require outright re-recording lines.

So.... more "please fix these typos and inconsistencies" and less "Falspawn? Gemini? Luther the Fallen? Bahh! Ruined forever" type posts...

@Leonkh99 said in Re do the NA localized translations:

At this point its better that they fix what they have now then it is to go through the trouble of adopting a completely different script or redoing it all... especially given that there's a dub involved and doing so would require outright re-recording lines.

Most of the actual problems are in text. The only problem in voice that I am personally aware of is when Risa says "phantoms" instead of "phantasms" (which is also a problem in text) which is inconsistent with the translation and she even later says "phatasams" (also in text).

Everything else in the English dub that's contentious are localization changes that are intentional.

@Leonkh99 I just brought up the English patches as a potential third party option. There is also the issue of the flavor text, which actually is a huge issue when you consider the crafting furnishings.

I agree that this translation needs another full proof read to correct the numerous typos, grammatical errors, cut off text, line break errors, punctuation not paired with the word, mismatched text and voiced dialog, missing item names, missing full weapon descriptions, CO descriptions, and other such issues. I'm glad that they didn't delay the game over these issues since the beta, as they are minor, but they also haven't seemed to make tremendous progress in this area, despite all the reports here. I am sure they are working hard, but judging from this translation, that department may be understaffed.

Here are a few of the many examples with the issues highlighted in yellow (switching the language to Japanese shows the full Weapon and CO descriptions):

PSO2_Errors.png

PSO2_Missing_COs.png

PSO2_Missing_Fragment_Set_Name.png