Add More People of Color to the Game

Because I saw that SEGA tweeted its support for the black community, I felt compelled to make this post. I, like quite a few others here, played the original PSO. And I was incredibly impressed by the world it presented. A wide variety of people from different walks of life all worked together in pursuit of making a profit on Ragol amidst the turmoil. Each version included strong figures such as Sue, Natasha, and Sil'fer. The level of inclusion was astounding compared any other game I can think of at the time, and still is impressive to this day.

When I began playing PSO2, I was hoping to relive that experience. But by the time Elder appeared, I knew I was in for the exact opposite. This level of regression actually made me embarrassed to talk about PSO2 to many of my close friends. And there are no strong people of color in the setting to counter balance that embarrassment.

I'm quite aware of the technical challenges to update the corrupted human Falz models to something more kosher and that episode six is the final chapter, so I don't expect to see change in this game outside of NA exclusive event NPCs. But I would like the developers to keep this in mind for future games if the company is serious about this objective.

On a much lighter note, I want to end by praising PSO2 for its character creator. It's a huge improvement over the previous titles, as I can now make dark skinned characters of any race. PSO2 is one of the few online games that allows this. And I've already seen an incredibly diverse player base that almost makes up for the canonical denizens of the Oracle Fleet.

Agreed. I also want to see more NPCs who are people of color in future games--especially story-relevant ones, and not just there to be sidelined or killed. Having more diversity means a lot to people who never get to see themselves in media. Something that's actionable in the present would be to make more characters with darker skin tones to show off in PSO2's advertisements and cosmetic displays for new AC scratches. As it stands these display characters are majority white/pale-skinned, with only one dark-skinned character every once in a while. And dark-skinned characters are only used to show off makeup in the scratch. On JP it's even bleaker.

I also really hope that the character creator in future installments will keep the progress it's made and continue to add more options to improve flexibility in character building. It is one of two games that I can name that does not restrict skin tone based on race, nor does it restrict skin tones to only the lightest of shades.

Yes and not just one other color. bring on the purple and green and blue folks! let's not be racist against the rainbow.

Sega can't even hire effective GMs that put a stop to harassment they're literally witnessing right in front of them. Do you actually think they're willing to do something about ANY sort of systematic oppression?

@SJC said in Add More People of Color to the Game:

Sega can't even hire effective GMs that put a stop to harassment they're literally witnessing right in front of them. Do you actually think they're willing to do something about ANY sort of systematic oppression?

My current ask is far below any level of recommendations for moderation. This is as simple to solve as hitting the dice in the corner of the skin color picker when designing characters. But I definitely think it's worthwhile to add suggestions around that. I've been avoiding the block 1 crowd, so I wouldn't know how bad it is.

The problem with free to play games, no barrier to entry means its a lot easier for scum who should be in jail and not online to get in.

@Enzan8723 Agreed, that's pretty much all that needs to happen for the present as far as that's concerned. It would be easy to showcase characters of more varying skin tones for ads and fashion.

@Enzan8723 said in Add More People of Color to the Game:

episode six is the final chapter

That is so many levels of incorrect. Episode 6 is part 2/3 of Episode Photoner which will conclude with Episode 7. They're just taking a break from the Episode updates to focus on something different.

Other than that I agree with you, not even the CASTs with human-shaped heads and other "bare" parts like Risa, Xiera and especially Ludmilla and Lucotte have colored.... Whatever passes for skin(?) on them. You'd think with such a robust character creator it'd be child's play...

@SJC said in Add More People of Color to the Game:

Can we not get into that again? The GMs already deleted the thread relevant to this point because of out of hand it got. We don't live in a perfect world where bad people are literally always punished... They probably have their hands full with this kind of stuff to begin with and there's also the goldspammers they have to deal with. As mentioned before, it's a F2P game, even pay to play games constantly have to deal with goldspammers and hackers.

@Mattwo7 said in Add More People of Color to the Game:

@Enzan8723 said in Add More People of Color to the Game:

episode six is the final chapter

That is so many levels of incorrect. Episode 6 is part 2/3 of Episode Photoner which will conclude with Episode 7. They're just taking a break from the Episode updates to focus on something different.

If that's the case, then we can demand some improvement in this game and not just wait for the next one. Sounds great to me. Thanks.

Well boys we did it. Racism is no more.

@Holden907815 said in Add More People of Color to the Game:

Well boys we did it. Racism is no more.

Magatsu-Manifest.png

Hindu God Facepalm, for when a quintuple facepalm just isn't enough.

@Mattwo7 Episode 6 is the end of the Photoner story.

@Fiona-Respha That's not what I heard, though I can't recall where I heard it. You got a source yourself?

@Mattwo7 said in Add More People of Color to the Game:

@Fiona-Respha That's not what I heard, though I can't recall where I heard it. You got a source yourself?

They probably got the info from here, which is a translation of the latest JP roadmap content: http://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-roadmap/

@Ragnawind said in Add More People of Color to the Game:

They probably got the info from here, which is a translation of the latest JP roadmap content: http://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-roadmap/

Nowhere on that link does it even mention the term "Episode Photoner"...