FIX UPDATE: Just use PSO2 Tweaker... Avoid the headache.

Dai here again.

Welp, I lasted a good week without issues by avoiding shutting down my PC. Last night my PC decided it wanted to reboot to apply driver updates and today after work, lo' and behold, the PSO2 icon vanished and the app won't start again.

I refused, absolutely refused, to go through the tooth pulling painful process of wiping out that install and starting over.

Solution: PSO2 Tweaker. It has been around for some time for the JP version of the game, and was converted for the NA launch. It fully resolves 98% of the issues with the asinine Win10 app, and circumvents using it as a launcher entirely. Can also potentially help those with download issues.

I could not start the game. Installed Tweaker, pointed it to the PSO2_bin location and I'm back in the game.

https://na.arks-layer.com/

It is really damn embarrassing that a 3rd party app is more intuitive and works better than the official Win10 shell launcher. Real darn shame.

alt text

Just shows they barely care about the win10 version, we had no betas to test and fix those issues, we are not informed about what it is that is causing those issues, if it's something hard to fix and could take a month to fix, if it's something super easy but they are busy with something else that is why it's taking this long, we are in the dark again and that upsets me. I'm trying to give them a chance but damn, they are making it very hard to do.

@Zeroika3384 said in FIX UPDATE: Just use PSO2 Tweaker... Avoid the headache.:

Just shows they barely care about the win10 version, we had no betas to test and fix those issues, we are not informed about what it is that is causing those issues, if it's something hard to fix and could take a month to fix, if it's something super easy but they are busy with something else that is why it's taking this long, we are in the dark again and that upsets me. I'm trying to give them a chance but damn, they are making it very hard to do.

I hear you man. I just wanted to play after work, and was dreading having to scrub the HD of the phantom install the Win10 store does. This app not only resolves permission issues, but just removes the Win10app from the equation entirely. Has all the same options and then some of the default launch but is far better.

Hey Daigoji, how were you able to direct the PSO2 Tweaker to the already existing game? I cant seem to find the PSO2 Bin file.

@Jana7ix said in FIX UPDATE: Just use PSO2 Tweaker... Avoid the headache.:

Hey Daigoji, how were you able to direct the PSO2 Tweaker to the already existing game? I cant seem to find the PSO2 Bin file.

The issue with the Windows Store is how it directly messes with your file permissions on the operating system level as a type of DRM. It is extremely convoluted and literally does not allow you to manage your own directories on your own PC.

"C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" is your default directory for all of your Windows Store apps. It's a hidden folder, so you need to enable the Hidden Items checkmark in order to see it. Everything in the folder has obfuscated names, so you won't be able to find the game under the normal name. You'll have to look for a folder that contains the "oxyna" word. It should be in the \WindowsApps\ Directory. There's also a \WindowsApps\MutableBackup\ directory where it will automatically save a backup of the entire game directory, clogging up unnecessary diskspace.

You may also find that you will not have access to do anything in the folders, in which case you need to change ownership of the directory to your own administrator account as opposed to the ThrustedInstaller account.

@Jana7ix

I did a file explorer search of the drive it was on. For me it placed it into a /Program files/ folder on one of my gaming SDDs.

@Ghostflux said in FIX UPDATE: Just use PSO2 Tweaker... Avoid the headache.:

The issue with the Windows Store is how it directly messes with your file permissions on the operating system level as a type of DRM. It is extremely convoluted and literally does not allow you to manage your own directories on your own PC.

"C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" is your default directory for all of your Windows Store apps. It's a hidden folder, so you need to enable the Hidden Items checkmark in order to see it. Everything in the folder has obfuscated names, so you won't be able to find the game under the normal name. You'll have to look for a folder that contains the "oxyna" word. It should be in the \WindowsApps\ Directory. There's also a \WindowsApps\MutableBackup\ directory where it will automatically save a backup of the entire game directory, clogging up unnecessary diskspace.

You may also find that you will not have access to do anything in the folders, in which case you need to change ownership of the directory to your own administrator account as opposed to the ThrustedInstaller account.

Tweaker resolves the permissions issue. If people do not trust the batch powershell modification of permissions, you can do it manually by giving yourself admin access to the folder using file explorer.

@Ghostflux said in FIX UPDATE: Just use PSO2 Tweaker... Avoid the headache.:

Hey Ghost, did you manage to get in?

While I had zero installation/game issues, the lobby lag was enough to make me miserable. I bit the bullet and started using the tweaker over the weekend and even the concert area has 0 stuttering now. Returning to ship after an urgent quest? Feel free to wander lag free!!

Totally worth, and yes I also have the game installed on a separate SSD so you can find the pso2_bin directory in "program files" on whatever drive the user chose to install the game on initially.

--I think it's a good practice to only use your 'C: drive for the windows install and separate everything else on other drives. Makes everything a lot cleaner in the long run.--

@Xurai said in FIX UPDATE: Just use PSO2 Tweaker... Avoid the headache.:

While I had zero installation/game issues, the lobby lag was enough to make me miserable. I bit the bullet and started using the tweaker over the weekend and even the concert area has 0 stuttering now. Returning to ship after an urgent quest? Feel free to wander lag free!!

Totally worth, and yes I also have the game installed on a separate SSD so you can find the pso2_bin directory in "program files" on whatever drive the user chose to install the game on initially.

--I think it's a good practice to only use your 'C: drive for the windows install and separate everything else on other drives. Makes everything a lot cleaner in the long run.--

All of this!

alt text

I can confirm, as PSO2 gets deleted every time I restart my computer. I will be changing over to the tweeker as well. I am tired of downloading the game every time I want to play it, over and over again.

After i went through the uninstall 2 electric boogaloo, i re-installed fully through tweaker. Tweaker installs the game into a different folder and you have to run a powershell file on developer mode so you can register that install to MS store. I have turned off my PC for the night everyday since i have been able to play every day with 0 issues so far.

Game suddenly isn't launching even with Tweaker, dunno what's changed all of a sudden but the game won't even try launching now.

Maybe I missed something, but after sitting through 7 hours of Tweaker downloading the entire game, clicking the "play pso2" button just to have it open the launcher and then proceed to download the /entire/ game again is kind of soul crushing...

Tempting to just give up at pso2 at this point. It wouldn't be so much of an issue if it didn't take 7 or so hours to reinstall. I know my internet is bad (25 mbps), but it's not /that/ bad, especially when it's downloaded bigger files in a fraction of the time it does for pso2.
Guess it was a fun few days while it lasted.

There is a guide for installing through tweaker https://arks-layer.com/tweaker-install.html here I have not been able to locate the guide on how to configure this installation to MS store