Am I Missing Something About The Story? (Possible Spoilers)

So, when you make your first character, Xion gives you an item to go back in time, and make different choices.

...I took this to simply be a plot excuse to replay missions & make different choices to see everything...Except I can't find anywhere to replay story missions I already beat, or to re-choose my choices.

So then I realized people are saying things like 'Don't you look familiar?' to my character. Which leads me to believe that the whole of Phantasy Star Online 2 is my character already going back in time. The player just does not realize that. Maybe the player character also does not remember? I don't know.

So I'm curious; am I missing something? Is there a way to replay story missions? Or is the whole Xion thing just a part of the story I have not seen yet? (For the record; I just unlocked Saena as a partner)

There was a story mission that completes with you becoming P, this is a "Bad End," and when you "complete" watching the scene, you'll probably shit bricks to see the little icon left of the name of the quest title having a "Half Complete" icon. When you choose the quest again, a new choice dialogue will appear aside the one you were forced to choose, it will have a red exclamation point on it (Indicating that you need to choose it to progress.)

This may have been removed in the NA version, I haven't gotten to that point yet.

The "Divergence Matrix" is called the "Matter Board," in the Japanese version. It was a quest tree system. You did certain things to unlock paths to new quests/etc.

@coldreactive said in Am I Missing Something About The Story? (Possible Spoilers):

There was a story mission that completes with you becoming P, this is a "Bad End," and when you "complete" watching the scene, you'll probably shit bricks to see the little icon left of the name of the quest title having a "Half Complete" icon. When you choose the quest again, a new choice dialogue will appear aside the one you were forced to choose, it will have a red exclamation point on it (Indicating that you need to choose it to progress.)

This may have been removed in the NA version, I haven't gotten to that point yet.

The "Divergence Matrix" is called the "Matter Board," in the Japanese version. It was a quest tree system. You did certain things to unlock paths to new quests/etc.

Ohh, and the Matter Board was removed in 2016, I think I read. So it's basically nothing to worry about.

The current version of the story is a very pared down version of what it once was. Originally, you would have to run missions multiple times after making different options. The version we have now was originally made to catch up players with the release of Ep5, and then it just ended up replacing the old version.

And if you must know, the giant slow-spinning plates that appear in the JP version are actually Matter Board cut-scenes that you can play. We don't have those in NA however.

@coldreactive Those are gone in the JPN version now, too.

@AndrlCh said in Am I Missing Something About The Story? (Possible Spoilers):

@coldreactive Those are gone in the JPN version now, too.

Really? They were still up last I played, even though the matter board system was gone.

@coldreactive The current version of the story and all mechanics that we have on NA is exactly how the story has been since Ep.6 debuted lst year.