Can we get confirmation on whether damage parsers would be OK or not?

People have parsed for years on JP, and you mostly only heard of bans from people that were either caught parsing out in the open, or being openly toxic about parsing others.

Parsing itself isn't inherently toxic, it's the people that use them. If you're going to quit the game because of parsing, I'd pack your bags soon because it'll be here eventually since a lot of games like PSO2 have some kind of damage parser made to help players see how they progress and how effective they are on their class.

@Macmaxi Well considering that I have done high end content for years and even using classes people consider 'low tier',i still never had to deal with someone trying to belittle me or anyone in the groups. You had your bad lucks,and sadly this is going to be a thing anywhere with anything. But FFXIV in general is a far friendlier place than WoW and most MMORPGs tbh.

@Morgothryuzaki said in Can we get confirmation on whether damage parsers would be OK or not?:

@Neoyoshi Maybe because WoW as a whole IS TOXIC? I have bene playing FFXIV since 2014 and I have NEVER seen bullying with item level. NEVER.

It's all fun until everyone brings in non job classes like gladiator and conjurer with lvl 1-30 gears in Aurum Vale duty finder.

@Morgothryuzaki said in Can we get confirmation on whether damage parsers would be OK or not?:

@Lvost1990X The ONLY toxicity you're going to see in XIV,comes form Balmung. And I believe gilgamesh.

Jenova too.

@Novaline said in Can we get confirmation on whether damage parsers would be OK or not?:

@Linkage-Ayexe said in Can we get confirmation on whether damage parsers would be OK or not?:

@Zipzo said in Can we get confirmation on whether damage parsers would be OK or not?:

This game has always lacked suitable methods to determine performance and contribution to your multi-parties other than vague guestimations based on content you are able to successfully complete solo or whatever other amibiguous benchmarks you can come up with.

A parser used to be widely used on JP version but eventually was not allowed.

What about for NA? I assume it would be the same but maybe not, who knows. Clarification on this?

I can't imagine needing a parser for this game. From memory no content actually required incredibly tight damage output to succeed. As long as people are geared appropriately it's pretty much a guaranteed win unless they're bad at dodging or whatever.

You're saying this, but when Ep4-6 come through, you'll be redacting that comment.

Yet MS2 content was never difficult yet people would kick you for not having a +15 weapon or doing the dps they found acceptable because it meant they weren't clearing the dungeon they have 30 minutes to clear in under 1 minute. An that the kind of mind set a damage parser encourages. So just because content suddenly gets harder doesn't mean we should encourage the use of something that encourages a toxic mind set in people.

@Novaline Even without a parser i can see that people who complain about their MPA being too bad to finish the UQ's can't be that great themselves.

For actual analysis, the damage dump plugin hasn't been updated in years so ACT hasn't been too helpful (even though it's mostly just a translation of skill ids), but as far as i saw people were fine with just Overparse because everything that matters is a big number behind their name. When i see people already complain about party performance shortly after the game's release then i can only see this getting a lot worse. I'm not against parsing i just have my experiences in what this turns into and i prefer to have no parser at all, if it meant people can just play the game without worrying about their numbers all the time.

@Macmaxi said in Can we get confirmation on whether damage parsers would be OK or not?:

@Novaline Even without a parser i can see that people who complain about their MPA being too bad to finish the UQ's can't be that great themselves.

For actual analysis, the damage dump plugin hasn't been updated in years so ACT hasn't been too helpful (even though it's mostly just a translation of skill ids), but as far as i saw people were fine with just Overparse because everything that matters is a big number behind their name. When i see people already complain about party performance shortly after the game's release then i can only see this getting a lot worse. I'm not against parsing i just have my experiences in what this turns into and i prefer to have no parser at all, if it meant people can just play the game without worrying about their numbers all the time.

That will never happen, and I'd know several players that make guides that rely on parse in order to help analyze rotations for their class in order help guide and instruct new players. I'm sorry you had bad experiences with parse, but it's a helpful tool that most competitive players use to see how good they are going on their class, since it breaks down multiple things, like min/max hit, Just Attack %, average DPS, how much damage taken, etc.