Help: How Does Armor Units Work?

Might as well ask for this now rather than later: Armor in this game is really confusing and there seems to be no good guide describing how they actually work and even the internet manual seems to be pretty vague about how they work. So I've only been by intuition alone when equipping armor. I keep hearing how you should really only focus on having a full armor set equipped but I'm not convinced by how it works, and would rather focus on having a balance set of defenses, and that main problem is that the strongest sets only focus on one defense type rather than all of them so I have little incentive to test them out. I'll be copying and pasting the major questions I have about them from another thread, but here's the TL;DR version first if you didn't want to read through these quotes.

1. Why do particular pieces of armor list only one type of defense (Melee, Range, and Tech)? (Which sounds more like a dev question to be honest)
  2. Do they ONLY affect that type of defense despite the details page implying that they affect other types of defense as well?
  3. What is the major difference between having gear that is meant to cover all types of defense between an armor set that only covers one type? Please show proof.
  4. If an armor set has a bonus of giving a stat boost of all defense types by 100 but it's main defense is something like Range, does that mean Melee and Tech defense only go up by 100?

@Guilrel said in Do not join Super Hard (or Higher) UQ/Content without upgrading your gear first.:

One of the major issues when it comes to equipping the right armor pieces is that it suffers the Warframe problem of not properly explaining how it really works. There's really need to be a guide on how armor works, and it can't be all: "You need "Set" this and "Set" that." Not even the online manual properly explains how armor works in the game, because simply going on and on about Sets doesn't really explain anything to a new player. Let me explain on how armor pieces look like to the new player myself but was part of the beta:

When a new player finds a piece of armor they will see: "Armor Name" "Armor Piece" and then 'apparently' what kind of defense it raises like "Melee Defense." So the player will go on thinking "This piece of equipment will only increase Melee Defense and this one increases Range Defense, and the last one increases Tech Defense." And they will just continue to play the game with that mindset, never realizing whether it's true or not that the armor pieces affect the other Defenses besides the one that's listed before they figure out that they can look into the piece of equipment with more detail.

When they do look at these other details and find out the other type of defenses are with the one that's listed, then the player is then left with the question, that's probably misunderstood, "If my armor piece has these types of defenses then why is Melee Defense is the only that's highlighted?" So other questions will be pondered for a minute about why PSO's defense is the way it is before simply deciding to move on with the previous mindset that "If an armor piece says it does Melee Defense, then that's what it will do" and will focus on getting pieces of armor that has the highest defense stat of that particular type and won't think about anything else.

I think I understand why that's not much of a good thing to think like that, but you have to understand that most people won't understand what you mean by gathering armor sets and will probably be very hesitant to get rid of pieces of armor that "maybe only raised that particular defense" in favor of a set of armor that only does one type of defense like Range Defense only. Which will make them ask "Why would I get rid of my other types of defenses for a set that does only one type? That sounds suicidal..." This means you're going have to explain or show a guide of how armor actually works and why a complete set is beneficial besides "They give Set bonuses," which will probably make many, probably the ones who won't even go this far online, go "Yeah, not enough to sacrifice ___ defense for them." That way players will learn something new along with understanding a part of the game that doesn't help in explaining "some" things well.

@Guilrel said in Do not join Super Hard (or Higher) UQ/Content without upgrading your gear first.:

The armor set problem I presented is more of a lack of understanding of the reasoning of needing the set gear that's ready to be traded in for the badges you collected. I'll get straight to the point: The Brissa gear set available to be traded is set for Range Defense only, why would I give up gear set for Melee and Tech Defense (especially for Melee Defense upgraded to give 357 points to it) for a gear set like that? Since I'm going to ask in a dedicated armor guide thread anyway I might as well ask it here: can someone show me evidence that an armor set that's "seemingly" dedicated to one type of defense better is better than a more balance set of gear dedicated to all defenses?

Besides an answer to these questions, I would like it if there's screenshot proof to what I've been hearing about the difference between, which will definitely convince me of why having an armor set is good.

I would like to add, glad for this post in lieu of asking in my own, how to tell why a "Armor Set Effect" applies half way. If at least in my observations. It says if you have all three Unit types you get say a +90 or MEL, RNG, and DEF but with this equipped in my Character Info it says only +45 across these attributes. I know there is some verbiage about if item is placed in Position 3 or 4 the effect either takes effect or even applies at all. But then it seems like its saying you need to place a Back Unit into an Arms Slot.. which is Slot 2..?! But then it also seems to say that no matter which piece you "Confirm Set Effect" on.

🙀 😸

o/ =^.^=

1. The defense type shown is the highest of the three on the armor. For exemple, if a piece of armor has 230 M-DEF, 240 R-DEF & 220 T-DEF, the type of defense shown will be R-DEF. If all are equal, it defaults to showing M-DEF.

2. No, they affect all three.

3. Nothing really. At most as set will give a bit more of a certain type but it really doesn't amount to anything.

4. No. Say it's a 3 piece set, it'll be (legs armor value) + (arms armor value) + (back armor value) +100 for each type of defense.

Edit: elaborating on some stuff a bit. While it's important to have some fully grinded units to not get completely wrecked, defenses are actually very secondary stats. What people look for from inherent stats on armor, set bonuses and affixes (on endgame gear) Is A) The relevant attack stat for their class B) PP and C) HP.

All units show the highest damage type defense on tab 1 of their details window, but if you switch over to tab 2 you can see their other stats as well including the other defenses and resistances etc. If the defenses are equal it seems to give precedence to MEL Def on tab 1.

Tab 2 stats include the effects of any augments, for instance Fresh Aura shows 5% resistance to all elements and all damage types, which is the 2% from Sovereign Ward II and 3% to all it has on its own. (Meanwhile Weapon Barrier shows 2% to all without any related augments because it has that on its own.)

Apologies if that's stating the obvious, but it does seem not everyone is aware of this.

@Miraglyth said in Help: How Does Armor Units Work?:

All units show the highest damage type defense on tab 1 of their details window, but if you switch over to tab 2 you can see their other stats as well including the other defenses and resistances etc. If the defenses are equal it seems to give precedence to MEL Def on tab 1.

Tab 2 stats include the effects of any augments, for instance Fresh Aura shows 5% resistance to all elements and all damage types, which is the 2% from Sovereign Ward II and 3% to all it has on its own. (Meanwhile Weapon Barrier shows 2% to all without any related augments because it has that on its own.)

Apologies if that's stating the obvious, but it does seem not everyone is aware of this.

Would you be able to shed a lil light on the Unit "Set Effect" question of mine..? I'm assuming it saying to place in "Position 3" and "Position 4" means a Arm and/or Leg Unit. But having a hard time why else the Character Info section of the menu shows +45 when it ought to show +90?! The Character Info is a ever present representation of your stats and whats being applied at that time/moment right?

Thanks.

o/ =^.^=

@KnightHarb1nger said in Help: How Does Armor Units Work?:

I'm assuming it saying to place in "Position 3" and "Position 4" means a Arm and/or Leg Unit.

What the heck is a position? 🤔 That sounds like a website giving a term to something that doesn't exist. If I had to guess, it might mean the top row on the Armor Palette menu, meaning someone has decided outerwear is "Position 1" lol.

I know some sets have a small bonus for two or three units combined, and a larger bonus for including a matching weapon as well. Using Arks-Visiphone (JP version - the NA page seems to be missing a lot) for instance, the Jagd set has +30 without a weapon and +60 with one. That set also exemplifies restrictions on the higher bonus, as the only weapons that count are twin daggers.

I'm assuming it saying to place in "Position 3" and "Position 4" means a Arm and/or Leg Unit.

What the heck is a position? 🤔 That sounds like a website giving a term to something that doesn't exist. If I had to guess, it might mean the top row on the Armor Palette menu, meaning someone has decided outerwear is "Position 1" lol.

I know some sets have a small bonus for two or three units combined, and a larger bonus for including a matching weapon as well. Using Arks-Visiphone (JP version - the NA page seems to be missing a lot) for instance, the Jagd set has +30 without a weapon and +60 with one. That set also exemplifies restrictions on the higher bonus, as the only weapons that count are twin daggers.

Fair point(s). The "Position X" you see in yellow when you confirm set effect on a unit and says those specific positionings in the description. I do recall confirming a set effect on something a month or so ago and recall it also mentioning a 4th weapon. A rogue/dagger-y sounding looking one. Think it was a Bouncer one. Might have been a Soaring Blade of some kind.

But this particular "confirmed" armor set I'm using the, Schlacht- Set", does not mention requiring a 4th item/weapon.

• Back / Schlachtfell
  • Arms / Schlachtklaue
  • Legs / Schlachtcoda

In-game when I do "Confirm Set Effect" on any one of these will produce the following Confirm Set Effect description.

" This item will produce a Set Effect when equipped anywhere from Position 3 to Position 4. The few the number of equipped positions, the smaller the increase in corresponding stats. "

On the right in a Stat Boosts window it shows +6 PP, +90 MEL Pwr, +90 RNG Pwr, and +90 TEC Pwr. Which is presumably based in having Positions 3 to 4 equipped with two of these you would get the full stat boost.

When I go to Character Info -> Equipment Information -> Tab over to Set Effect Information I see a "SET 1" and a "SET 2" columns. And only under SET 1 it shows +3 PP, +45 MEL Pwr, +45 RNG Pwr, and +45 TEC Pwr.

At the very least I would maybe expect that since I only have two of these "equip positions" to fill I would get 2/3 of the stat boost.

I dunno. Its all I can see and all I can do. Overall I'm satisfied with my current and indefinite future survivability. So gravy if this can be expounded upon further. But not terrible if not.

Fwiw. And thank you for your input.

o/ =^.^=

p.s. apologies for the appearance of some of the formatting. The forum is not faithfully reproducing my textual arranging.

In-game when I do "Confirm Set Effect"

You've already lost me, and I have see the set effect bonuses on the Character Info page. What did you do to get that kind of confirmation?

In-game when I do "Confirm Set Effect"

You've already lost me, and I have see the set effect bonuses on the Character Info page. What did you do to get that kind of confirmation?

Anywhere you you can select or Press A on the specific Unit item any in the menu it will have a line item called "Confirm Set Effect." Either in Customize or browsing through the Items menu selection.

o/ =^.^=

Anywhere you you can select or Press A on the specific Unit item any in the menu it will have a line item called "Confirm Set Effect."

Oh sheesh, I never thought to try selecting them from the Item menu! I was always using the Equip Armor menu. The things you learn, thanks! I did wonder if it was ever shown in the game besides trial and error with the Character Info screen.

When I select a weapon I have with a set effect - Lambda Arestice - it gives a slightly different message:

This item will produce a Set Effect when equipped anywhere from Position 3 to Position 4. The fewer the number of equipped positions, the smaller the increase in corresponding stats.

I can't see it listed in the JP or NA versions of Arks-Visiphone. According to a site for the JP server, it says any 3 items in the set gives the displayed bonus, but using all 4 will double it.

Maybe Position is a mistranslation? Maybe it's meant to mean the number of items from the set list that are equipped.

Edit: It says the same for the Schlacht set too, giving a weapon by the name Banshee's Roar which is not shown in the Confirm Set Effect list. It might exist on NA yet, or I might need to see it before it'll appear on the list.