Actual cost and should they just let us pay $60 for this?

@Zizel said in Actual cost and should they just let us pay $60 for this?:

PSO2 has one of the most aggressive monetization programs I think I've ever seen in a game. Free to play? yes, but actually no. PSO2 will punish you at every chance it can if you aren't spending money. You really are getting the absolute very bare minimum if you are going Free to play. Sadly for Japanese culture this is normal. The JP gaming culture has evolved to thrive on on gambling (Gacha, loot boxes, or in this case, scratch cards) mechanics and game developers have learned that their end goal isn't to make a game fun for its players, its to make the game frustrating so you will lose your patience and pay for a solution. Its pretty diabolic if you think about it. Make a game that looks fun, purposely create a frustrating situation and then sell the solution to that situation to the players at a high price, thus maximizing profit and minimizing actual game development standards.

Unfortunately this is what it means to be a part of this gaming generation, its sad to see gaming go down his route, drowned by unending greed, but its what it is.

Anyway back on topic, at this rate, with how severally and aggressively monetized PSO2 is, I'd rather just see a subscription policy put in place and the massive paywall removed as a result.

But lets face it, that's wishful thinking at this point.

I read this and I can't tell if you're trying to state an opinion or a fact, but that's just your opinion. There are like only 2 JP MMO's that have English PC releases. FF14 and PSO2. Blue Protocol is around the corner possibly.

I dunno where you're getting this whole "JP gaming culture" idea from trying to mooch out players. PSO2 was never planned to be released in the NA anyways and it took them 8 years. Super greed really? They really didn't even care to release it to NA.

It's pretty standard for ANY gaming company regardless of their country of origin to sell you a game with added DLC content that isn't free or pack their cash shops full of crap you may eventually buy. It's called a business. Companies need a way to make money regardless if you agree with it or not.

@2B said in Actual cost and should they just let us pay $60 for this?:

It's pretty standard for ANY gaming company regardless of their country of origin to sell you a game with added DLC content that isn't free or pack their cash shops full of crap you may eventually buy. It's called a business. Companies need a way to make money regardless if you agree with it or not.

That's what I said. Not sure the point you are trying to make here. Game devs have been ripping out game mechanic's from their games and putting them behind a paywall and that was never "Standard practice" in the past, they take something out of the game knowing its going to cause you frustration and then sell it back to you. I'm not saying PSO2 doesn't have the right to monetize their game but I'm saying the way they are doing it is far beyond what most online games do today. Game monetization in JP is extremely aggressive and its the reason why the mobile market is so saturated with gatcha gambling games as one example.

I'm not complaining, as you said everyone had 8 years to know this was coming, my comments are more directed at the generation as a whole rather then directly at PSO2, but admittedly PSO2 is the extreme example in this case.

@ERICK001BC said in Actual cost and should they just let us pay $60 for this?:

It would be nice, but I bought 2 founders packs to support the game. Anything after that is really hard to justify it.

As for freemmium games, Warframe is free to play and everything else is just Cosmetics. I only spend money when they do donations to hostiptals/children.

Or when I get the 75% off coupon, lol.

@YoshihitoBLM Yes well you kind of have to. lol

@YoshihitoBLM said in Actual cost and should they just let us pay $60 for this?:

@ERICK001BC said in Actual cost and should they just let us pay $60 for this?:

It would be nice, but I bought 2 founders packs to support the game. Anything after that is really hard to justify it.

As for freemmium games, Warframe is free to play and everything else is just Cosmetics. I only spend money when they do donations to hostiptals/children.

Or when I get the 75% off coupon, lol.

Same ...

PSO2 is one if the lesser offenders when it comes to this, especially now that the weapon passes don't exist anymore.

Contemplated spending money, but I'm glad i didn't now, because these days it's really a waste. Even inventory space isn't needed, i can walk through UQ and AQ fine picking everything up.

New players might suffer from the lack of skill tree resets and multiple builds, but it's not impossible to deal with it.

I've had premium for a few days and i've already stocked up a lot of Tri boosters and a few salon/room passes. I might be able to go every other month just fine.

Let me preface this with I have been F2P on Japan for 7 years, I just recently started paying once NA came out. There are ways around some of the monetization that makes (pure) f2p viable. Sure you are going to look constantly at what other paying players are going to have and practically sigh with envy, I was there. However again I played this game for free for 7 years so I will say it can be done. 3 characters open up more storage options, wearing certain clothing gets you SG, knowing how the game-mechanics work get you a leg up on drops that are never behind paywalls (keep it that way sega ...) Yes paying for all that luxury gives you an advantage, it makes life a heckuvalot easier and as NA players we are used to a certain standard (unless you are a EA fanboy) to keep predatory practices in check. I am not going to blow smoke in you face and tell you it doesn't. However, and again, I have played for free for 7 years, it can be done and I have always loved the game despite its flaws.

I think the community would do well to start making some (more) mini-guides to help our f2p community figure out how to make their gaming experience a little bit easier. Its not going to beat premium or rentals, not by a mile, but at least they will have some measure of freedom to experience the game on their own terms.

One protip from me: Rental storage space is a trap. It appeals to people's obsession and anxiety to horde items. Most of the items unless you are heavy into grinding and affixing are useless filler trash, sell it for cash ... sure its not much, but its better than nothing and you are going to fill up that space fast anyway. You don't need it, create 3 characters and use character storage to offset your storage issues.

@Seed said in Actual cost and should they just let us pay $60 for this?:

One protip from me: Rental storage space is a trap. It appeals to people's obsession and anxiety to horde items. Most of the items unless you are heavy into grinding and affixing are useless filler trash, sell it for cash ... sure its not much, but its better than nothing and you are going to fill up that space fast anyway. You don't need it, create 3 characters and use character storage to offset your storage issues.

True! No point in hoarding (with a few exceptions) affixes early on anyway, As I level higher they become more and more common and better "soul" affixes start showing up anyway. In the end I just ended up buying a premade weapon, HA!

I would happily pay for the items in this game if they weren't limited. That actually limited how much I'm willing to spend, which now went down to $0.

@Seed

That’s true I’m starting to figure that out . Also noticed the desposit to storage from the inventory menu which has been a great help collecting everything that drops for a major sell later