You need permission to perform this action

I'm trying to delete the old pso2 data in the MutableBackup folder. I finally got into this folder by changing permissions and now I'm trying to delete the data. However when trying this I get an error message:

"You need permission to perform this action You require permission form myusername to make changes to this folder"

So it's saying that I require MY permission to make changes but I for some reason don't.

Please help my drive is too full to install the game now and I can't get rid of a ton of data taking up necessary storage space.

Hello, try right clicking on the folder that you want to delete, and click properties, then go to the security tab and edit the permission to give you permission to delete the folder.

@LevelWhistle880 said in You need permission to perform this action:

Hello, try right clicking on the folder that you want to delete, and click properties, then go to the security tab and edit the permission to give you permission to delete the folder.

You can also use the "Take Ownership" REG File to add a handy context menu: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3841-add-take-ownership-context-menu-windows-10-a.html

That's the thing, I already have ownership. The person I require permission from according to the error is myself Edit: Forgot to add, at my first post. I managed to delete some files, but a gigantic amount is locked behind said permissions

@Alpaca said in You need permission to perform this action:

That's the thing, I already have ownership. The person I require permission from according to the error is myself Edit: Forgot to add, at my first post. I managed to delete some files, but a gigantic amount is locked behind said permissions

There are some folders inside of the folder you're probably deleting. You need to give yourself permission the same way you gave permission to the first folder.

@LevelWhistle880 I'm really sorry for being incomplete with my information😫 . I used the "Give permission to all subfolders" option as well

@Alpaca said in You need permission to perform this action:

@LevelWhistle880 I'm really sorry for being incomplete with my information😫 . I used the "Give permission to all subfolders" option as well

Sorry, I don't know how to help you. I think I encountered the same problem yesterday, but I didn't need to do anything to fix it because when I closed everything and when I went back to check the same folders again. They were deleted.

taking ownership of a folder doesn't make you have free reign to do what you want with it, you need to add your user in order to do that. Just go to the same part were you changed the ownership and you gonna see a button in the botton left corner that is to add a user, click on that and it will open a window to select a security entity, the text will be written in blue so click there and do the same as you did to take ownership, after that select total control box and ok. That will give you free reign over the folder

@Jamesmor Oh thanks so much! that seems to do the trick. Its deleting the rest now!

Really wondering why adding permissions is so complicated rather than just having a list with users and their permissions and being able to edit that 😴

EDIT: It's deleted, thank you again!

EDIT2: it worked for one folder but once I go to another one it doesn't let me add users and the security screen looks kinda different 😭 One folder has the Add/Remove/Edit options, which allowed me to add myself and delete the folder. But folder two doesn't have these options and instead has Change permissions, which brings me to the add/remove/edit version with everything greyed out