Collaboration Potential?

I bet Bayonetta is gonna be the first collab

I can see Nier, Halo, Gears, Final Fantasy, and some random stuff. I also don't see why we wouldn't get a handful of the stuff JP already got that I didn't already list. As someone pointed out before the xbox version install is as large as the JP, meaning the content is likely all there.

@Ciel said in Collaboration Potential?:

I can see Nier, Halo, Gears, Final Fantasy, and some random stuff. I also don't see why we wouldn't get a handful of the stuff JP already got that I didn't already list. As someone pointed out before the xbox version install is as large as the JP, meaning the content is likely all there.

The content existing in the code and bringing back a means to obtain it are separate issues. For collaborations that required a temporary license to "sell off" through the AC Scratch likely won't come back if those brands don't have a reason to do business with the NA version of the game.

Can't wait for all the burger MAG costumes and CoD: MW collabs! A crying eagle skin for summoner would be just fantastic too.

I'm going to n+1 the request for the old .jp colabs to reappear, I'd like to get my hands one some of them without having to grind enough to raise the one billion meseta for the last remaining Luka hair on ship 2.

Sonic collab! haha I mean it is inevitable.. right? xD

@Hengbok said in Collaboration Potential?:

Sonic collab! haha I mean it is inevitable.. right? xD

Companies don't normally collab with their own titles. There are some companies that do it in a minnor fashion but it's not something that is normally done.

IIRC there's a Sonic lobby that gets rolled out every June for his birthday.

@IndefinateArdem said in Collaboration Potential?:

IIRC there's a Sonic lobby that gets rolled out every June for his birthday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-2Ys7ZQbeU

BlazBlue x Guilty Gear Xrd possibly.

Type Moon's Fate stuff will possibly come in.

Any Shining games will come in since it's SEGA, and Persona stuff definitely. Attack on Titans for sure.

In the interview @Leonkh99 posted in a different thread, it sounded like they are really eager to do some Microsoft collabs.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Collaboration Potential?:

do some Microsoft collabs.

• Gears
  • Halo
  • Minecraft
  • Forza
  • Fable
  • Flight Simulator
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Blinx
  • (Some) Age of Empires
  • Sunset Overdrive
  • Psychonauts
  • Banjo Kazooie (And any Rare game not owned by nintendo.)
  • Kameo

Pretty much their games.

As long as we're dreaming, how about some A.I.S. vs Crimson Skies combat.

@coldreactive said

• Forza

That's the one.

Forza collab on the Las Vegas map, LA that transforms you into a car.

@Weeblord , I can shed some light on the subject... admittedly this is something I should have posted a while back but, only really got back into the forums recently ^^;

So collabs... first off, the last Phantasy Star Online game that was released in the West (PS Portable 2) did have collabs in Japan. Namely, collabs with the Fate, Evangelion, To Love Ru, etc as well as the infamous Pizza Hut and Fanta collab. To the surprise of many, many of these collabs did make it onto the Western version (in fact, the only ones that were affected were those based on real-life brands like Fanta and Pizza Hut). You can read more on this in this relic of the times: http://www.bumped.org/psublog/sega-of-america-fights-to-keep-content-within-phantasy-star-portable-2/

Now what's this mean for PSO2? Well circumstances are certainly different, SEGA of Japan will be handling the NA version so there's a chance that all future collab negotiations may account for both JP and NA but what's this mean for past collabs? Well... a collab has a double purpose in giving the game more content while also promoting the work of the company the collab was licensed for. So the issue with past collabs is:

• Is the work in question still relevant?
  • Is the work in question relevant to the West and worth the trouble?
  • In cases where the rights are different per region, how do licensors feel about the work in question?

The first bullet point brings to mind things like say... anime that came and went and are past their circulation (Beatless, Frame Arm Girls, etc) as well as Monster Hunter Frontier (a game that not only was Japan only but had closed last year). In both cases, redoing the collab might not make much sense since... what are you promoting?

The second bullet point is more subjective so please bear with me. Say a work is timeless enough to have a lasting effect and remain relevant constantly ask yourself... is the work relevant in the West? PSO2 has had a lot of anime collabs but only a few of these have a big enough fanbase in the West. For video games there may be an issue if the game in question is Japan-only like the previously mentioned Monster Hunter Frontier was.

And the last bullet point is more applicable to brands than games or animes (as in the case of anime, negotiations happen with the original studio NOT the company that licensed it for the West). However real-life brands have regional branches who have a say in the way their product and brand are represented in that region. Who else can forget Code Geass needing to remove the Pizza Hut product placements from its English dub due to Pizza Hut in the West not wanting to sponsor the show the same way their Japanese counterpart did. Plus as we saw... it was these collabs that PS Portable 2 struggled to keep in the West. So overall... these collabs are the ones im least confident in.

So now then.... what can we expect for PSO2? Well the following really:

• Game Collabs in my opinion are the easiest given how prevalent they are (look at Monster Hunter World!). Certainly many collabs like Nier Automata, Final Fantasy XIV, Dead or Alive, King of Fighters, etc have a shot in the NA version while still appearing 'new'. Only known collabs that (to my knowledge) might face issue are the Toro and Kuro, Gravity Rush and Monster Hunter Frontier collabs.

• Anime Collabs... are a bit of a On / Off thing though I do know that some anime, like Evangelion, Attack on Titan, etc, have a large fanbase in the West. There's also the bit bout PS Portable 2 being able to secure all its anime collabs so... I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• As previously mentioned... collabs based on brands and stores like 7 Eleven just might not work out due to the overall logistics.

• SEGA Collabs (which include Miku, Border Break, 7th Dragon, Persona) will definitely be a possibility... even for the Japan-only games like Border Break and 7th Dragon 2020 (after all during the years PSO2 was delayed they certainly didn't mind allowing a PSO2 themed song in the Western release of a Miku game or for PSO2 songs to be present in that Fist of the North Star game).

• NA Exclusive collabs.... are NOT an impossibility! On top of having a close relation with Microsoft on this, I should bring up that PSO2 SEA partnered up with the likes of NVidia and RedBull to sponsor the game so that's something. I should also bring up that SEGA held an art content for PS Portable 2's Western release to design room items that would replace the missing collab items so there's that as well...

So yeah... that's bout it. That's my personal interpretation on how things work and may work out for PSO2 NA, while it may not be any sort of confirmation it should help you see the subject at hand from a new perspective.