Collaboration Potential?

Let me preface this by saying thank you to all of the staff at SEGA for running such an amazing beta this weekend, from the PR team through the IT team and beyond.

Despite the hiccups at the start of the initial intended launch (which is to be expected), everything went smoothly. I'm no amateur when it comes to participating in betas, but I have to say, this was likely the best experience I've ever gone through when beta testing a release (global or localized).

All that being said however, I come to my main point that I'm sure many others are also wondering about. Collabs. Now, I understand that there is a lot of red-tape in dealing with licenses and getting the proper sign-offs on these types of things, but is it something that we can expect to look forward to? I'm not even looking for a definitive answer as far as content goes, more of a "Is it something your team is working towards?" type of question.

Appreciate any feedback received on this, and I can't wait to get back in-game come open beta. Gotta get some more Rappy slots in~ just one more spin... just one more spin... I swear you guys are fueling a gambling addiction here. ❤

I don't know if this will be a thing that would happen, but seeing as the Switch release had a Zelda BOTW colab, a Halo Combat Evolved colab would be pretty awesome.

Ever since the old 2013 na rumors came about I have always thoght us collabs would be pretty sick and with it being confirmed on steam that opens a ton of cool possibilities. I have always thought a Team Fortress 2 collab would be rad

@ShinobuRaiu New stuff would be curious and welcome, but I guess my question more pertains to the collabs that the Japanese release has already experienced. (ie. Nier/Persona/Evangelion/FATE/Konosuba)

I too would like to know about this, as someone who played on JP quite a bit it was always interesting to login after being away for a while and see a new collab had come to PSO2, it made the game feel very eventful and alive, like I shouldn't take long breaks away from PSO2 or I might miss my chance to see a collab I would have enjoyed. I'd even be fine with us just sharing collabs with the JP server absolute worst-case scenario it gives us something else to do to mix up our time logged in, and in best case scenario we'll learn about Japanese stuff we might have never heard about/been interested in and look into it ourselves further. Then, when I think about specific collabs for the US specifically I get really excited about the possibilities.

I just like collabs :3

I'm not too sure if they will do collabs with other games. I see a lot of more less collaborative things in the JP version. I have a 7-11 staff uniform on right now and I think that's pretty cool lol. So I guess they had store codes that you could go out and get. Even during Phantasy Star Universe, the JP version of the game had a collaboration with gaming magazines, Pizza Hut and some other things I think. Would really like to see things like this in PSO 2 NA Version.

There are some collabs with past Phantasy Star games content. You can get PSU character's outfits in PSO2 and it wouldn't surprise me of they did that here in the NA version as well. In fact, I may be mad if they dont let us get those!

@Weeblord I'm actually going to be sad if we never get a chance to get some of the collab stuff from the JP version. I'd be fine with us not actually having the full collabs, I just want the outfits 😿

@Logo099 I feel it! I understand why we wouldn't get all of the collabs due to licensing and regional restrictions or some such, but I hope we can at least see some aspect or fraction of what the Japanese release got ; _;

I kinda feel like we will get all of the collab stuff, mainly because they said that we will be getting everything that the JP version has. But with what you guy's are saying about the licensing does make me wonder too.

@Logo099 said in Collaboration Potential?:

I too would like to know about this, as someone who played on JP quite a bit it was always interesting to login after being away for a while and see a new collab had come to PSO2, it made the game feel very eventful and alive, like I shouldn't take long breaks away from PSO2 or I might miss my chance to see a collab I would have enjoyed. I'd even be fine with us just sharing collabs with the JP server absolute worst-case scenario it gives us something else to do to mix up our time logged in, and in best case scenario we'll learn about Japanese stuff we might have never heard about/been interested in and look into it ourselves further. Then, when I think about specific collabs for the US specifically I get really excited about the possibilities.

I just like collabs :3

I would expect the NA server to have more custom content and fewer actual collaborations. With that said, the NA client size is the same size as the PSO2JP client size (67 Gigabytes), so I'll bet my bottom dollar that we'll see many of the same collaborations with popular titles like the Fate series, Konosuba, Evangelion, AoT, and so on. We might even see a few unique north american titles too.

@Berry said in Collaboration Potential?:

Ever since the old 2013 na rumors came about I have always thoght us collabs would be pretty sick and with it being confirmed on steam that opens a ton of cool possibilities. I have always thought a Team Fortress 2 collab would be rad

I also think it would be rad but I don't think there is a very high chance of it happening. That would require Valve to do something with Team Fortress 2.

I am hoping all the JP collabs I have seen come to NA with also new NA collabs.

I do want a collab with anime Bubblegum Crisis though haha. I want to rock those hardsuits!

@Hengbok said in Collaboration Potential?:

I am hoping all the JP collabs I have seen come to NA with also new NA collabs.

Hoping is a good thing but I can already tell you that getting 'all' of the Japanese past collaborations isn't going to happen, small fraction? maybe. Some of the past collaborations would not make much sense for the NA version. For example, the Monster Hunter Frontier Z collaboration PSO2JP did in 2018. The Monster Hunter Frontier Z game never got released outside Japan. So making it a collaboration for the NA version would not make much sense unless Capcom thinks it will do any favor for MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD, but that's highly unlikely. It would make more sense to have a collaboration with MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD itself then. And just with different licensing, restrictions, censorship, trending and dealing with different companies (Sega and Microsoft) it's just not viable to get all the collaborations to move over.

Not sure if any of you guys knew of the existence of PSO2 Southeast Asia (which lasted merely 3 years between 2014-2017, it was an awful version.) But it also did not shared all its collaborations with PSO2JP and vice versa, some 'events' did.

Maybe FINAL FANTASY XIV and Odin will make it to the NA version but expect to see different collaborations between the NA and JP version moving forward.

I would love see crossover event Final Fantasy XIV Shadowbringer

@ErinXh said in Collaboration Potential?:

Maybe FINAL FANTASY XIV and Odin will make it to the NA version but expect to see different collaborations between the NA and JP version moving forward.

@ErinXh That's likely the most realistic view I can see happening. My only concern for future collab potential would be today's socio-economical climate and the greedy nature of producers (not developers) in the US gaming market. Most producers I believe have the final say in licensing restrictions, and I have a hard time believing that they will want to offer that up without a large monetary investment on SEGA's end. My dreams are being dashed before ever being fully formed /cri