Make trading and selling not a premium feature

@S0UL-REAPER302 said in Make trading and selling not a premium feature:

@Princesse-Jen Item boxes are very easy to get. You can just buy them with fun points from the fun point shop in the shop district which you can find it in the far back side of the shop district on the left side just below the entrance to Frankas' Café

I've always struggled with earning FUN Points (More because there's SO MUCH I wanted plus the SCRATCH Cards) so I just don't consider anything with FUN particularly easy ^^; That said, I don't recall there always being a gift box there either, but it's possible I just missed it when I played the game in Japanese.

@Vicodin-Villian said in Make trading and selling not a premium feature:

@JuLeS-SeLLaDoR said in Make trading and selling not a premium feature:

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Make trading and selling not a premium feature:

@JuLeS-SeLLaDoR

They aren't "stupid" just because you do not agree with it.

1 featured change suggestion wouldn't cause the "game to shut down".

You have access to PSO2 NA's team operating cost and profit margin?

Money rules the world and decisions like these. I also suspect money was a motivating factor in Sega keeping the game in region locked in JP for so long. Because the NA version was financially risky.

So now that the game is finally coming to NA, before it can already get to open beta, people are asking for handouts? Either pay or don't, I do not care. I will be paying though, no support.

We should consider here that the game will likely be making most of its money off of selling cosmetic items, as is the case with PSO2JP. Consider, further, that this has already provided enough money to sponsor two anime seasons in addition to funding the game.

Given, then, how trading is almost central to the PSO2 experience, I would suggest that the trading function should not be locked behind a paywall on the PSO2NA servers; insofar as we are aware, Microsoft is not bound to the same rules regarding its client as SEGA of Japan, unless one of the GMs would like to state otherwise.

Microsoft has a 10 year plan for this game. Fact of the matter is that Microsoft invested in this franchise because it made financial sense to do so, with the current revenue model. They are not going to abruptly change a tested revenue model, especially with a change that would decrease revenue.

Imagine if we had to go back to PSO days where we had to trust the other person that they would drop the item for trade and not pick yours up and leave with it lol

Premium trading is a feature on the JP servers. And they do quite well there. Lots of MMOs have come up with ways to swindle people into some type of funding. This may be a minor one. Plus there are so many benefits to being premium in game.

like, I wish they could at least just open up 1-9⭐ weapons and units available for non-premium trading; it would make the Item Augments/Ability Affixing system way more approachable if more players could openly make augment/affxing fodder items for other players to make their own gear better.

The Augment/Affixing system is very hard to get into, but if we could allow individuals to specialize in it, they would be able to in turn assist their friends who may not want to have to think about this system any more than they need to, and everybody gets back to questing faster!

Having trading as a premium option helps protect the game against gold sellers and botters. Personally I am okay paying a little each month if helps keep the server clear of this issue.

@ChaoticTheory1 actually fhat is a very good point. I never even thought of people playing like that in PSO, but.. yeah it definitely happens in a lot of other ones I have seen.

People don't really trade in PSO2, like at all.

Instead, you use the My Shop option to sell/buy things on the open market. My Shop comes with Premium, but you can get 3-day My Shop tickets from the FUN Scratch. Furthermore, you do not need any type of special privileges to purchase items others have listed for sale.

I know trading was a big thing in PSO, but the paradigm has changed.

Try to imagine that one important aspect is how easy it makes it for third party sweatshops to grind out high end stuff and spam them for sale ALL OF THE TIME. Anything that reduces gold spam/item spam is a bonus, despite any inconvenience.

You had to pay the monthly fee on PSU to have access to your room where your shop was IIRC ? Im ok with this being behind a premium pay wall/ hunters licence w/ever.

@Ima-Leftyy said in Free Trading:

@JuLeS-SeLLaDoR okay but how is premium gonna work is it yearly or like monthly

On the JP server it's every 90 days.

@Geordie-P said in Make trading and selling not a premium feature:

You had to pay the monthly fee on PSU to have access to your room where your shop was IIRC ? Im ok with this being behind a premium pay wall/ hunters licence w/ever.

You had to pay the premium subscription in JP PSO2 to be able to redecorate / move / etc. furniture and whatnot. But you could access it for free.

Also asking: Can people who pay for the trading initiate trades to people who don't? Or do both parties need to pay?

@Vicodin-Villian said in Make trading and selling not a premium feature:

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Make trading and selling not a premium feature:

@JuLeS-SeLLaDoR

They aren't "stupid" just because you do not agree with it.

1 featured change suggestion wouldn't cause the "game to shut down".

You have access to PSO2 NA's team operating cost and profit margin?

Money rules the world and decisions like these. I also suspect money was a motivating factor in Sega keeping the game in region locked in JP for so long. Because the NA version was financially risky.

So now that the game is finally coming to NA, before it can already get to open beta, people are asking for handouts? Either pay or don't, I do not care. I will be paying though, no support.

We should consider here that the game will likely be making most of its money off of selling cosmetic items, as is the case with PSO2JP. Consider, further, that this has already provided enough money to sponsor two anime seasons in addition to funding the game.

Given, then, how trading is almost central to the PSO2 experience, I would suggest that the trading function should not be locked behind a paywall on the PSO2NA servers; insofar as we are aware, Microsoft is not bound to the same rules regarding its client as SEGA of Japan, unless one of the GMs would like to state otherwise.

Look, this is not how business works. You are fooling yourself if you Microsoft does not already have a 10 year plan for this game. Fact of the matter is that Microsoft invested in this franchise because it made financial sense to do so, with the current revenue model. They are not going to abruptly change a tested revenue model, especially with a change that would decrease revenue. You seem like a smart guy. This discussion is just wasting your time and mine.

You have a good point; I studied business ethics and planning in college as part of my information technology degree, and Microsoft would indeed have not adopted the game without clear market research and a demonstrable revenue stream. Still, in figuring that out, i'm wondering how much total revenue those $15 a month premium sets to enable trading are, as an overall percentage versus microtransactions for cosmetics purchases.

I used to pay a monthly sub with PSU so I'm okay with having a premium pass. To be honest, it would probably work out better for me anyway since I could keep it inactive if I don't need the features. But I also have this mentality with F2P games where I don't like to spend money so we will see.

I hear excubes are plentiful and there are many chances at 3-day shop passes so that is a plus. It is unfortunate that this highly coveted feature isn't available at all times though. The in-game economy was a huge piece of my PSU experience and non-paying players should experience the thrill of it.

@GamerKillance said in Free Trading:

@Ima-Leftyy said in Free Trading:

@JuLeS-SeLLaDoR okay but how is premium gonna work is it yearly or like monthly

On the JP server it's every 90 days.

No, that's the most cost efficient option, but you can get 30, 60, and 90 day items (and get multiple at once or even store for later.) You can also buy specific premium features for those periods without explicitly purchasing premium.