PSO / nProtect Causing Browser Crashes and high CPU usage on process

I'm not sure what's going on but whenever I launch PSO2, I'm no longer able to use Edge (Chromium), existing tabs seem to work, but I can't open sites on new tabs, like nProtect is blocking it for some reason? Old Internet Explorer works fine, but it's also IE and a bunch of sites don't work on that garbage browser. What's the deal with that and the CPU usage here?

After closing PSO2 and waiting about 15-20 seconds then I can use the browser just fine again. Is this game or nProtect doing something weird with my dns, hosts file, or something else?

Thanks.

Taskmgr_2020-05-31_20-53-29.png

Note the error on this tab. No newly opened tabs work. msedge_2020-05-31_20-56-30.png

I am experiencing the same thing right no clue why this game is causing this

I just read in another thread that the game doesn't play well with things related to your network traffic https://forum.pso2.com/topic/3323/anti-cheat-false-positive/3

I might be completely wrong, but I'd see if you open a tab and navigate to a website, start the game to the point you can replicate this problem, and either navigate to a new website or just a new page on the already open tab. If it also gives the error, it might be a bandwidth thing. Or it might be a new connection thing.

@Stretcharach I am also having the same problem

https://imgur.com/UjhBa6r

That is power that is "very high". That is pretty normal. The problem is because of the memory usage. Unles you have 16GB RAM or more, having close to 1000MB used, if not more, will cause massive slowdowns in other apps. Your CPUs aren't running at more than slightly over 30% at most. The power value is a combination of the wattage used by your CPU and GPU combined, which in a 3D game is normally always High or very high, regardless of specs.

@Ragnawind said in PSO / nProtect Causing Browser Crashes and high CPU usage on process:

That is power that is "very high". That is pretty normal. The problem is because of the memory usage. Unles you have 16GB RAM or more, having close to 1000MB used, if not more, will cause massive slowdowns in other apps. Your CPUs aren't running at more than slightly over 30% at most. The power value is a combination of the wattage used by your CPU and GPU combined, which in a 3D game is normally always High or very high, regardless of specs.

It wasn't the power I was concerned with. Ignore that part of the image.

Until I had to reinstall the game on June 7, I was able to use my web browser (Brave) along with playing PSO2. Brave has not had any updates, Windows did have a small update (prep for the big one), and AFAIK the game did not have any.

After I launch PSO2 then launch Brave, the browser acts like it crashed. Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome mostly work, yet all are based on Chromium. Once nProtect is no longer running, I am able to relaunch my browser and use it.

It is a very invasive and notoriously bad bit of software, it has plagued MMOs since the dawn of time.

Does it let you toggle the priority of it? I normally put stuff i need at a higher priority than bloatware game systems so I can still tab out of my game when I need to.

Hello,

here is a way to reproduce it:

(I Am using the Tweaker, since the store is a mess)

  • Start the game
  • Get back to your open Edge Browser
  • Write in adress bar something like "hello" to search it in google --> Result: Still Working
  • Write Stuff like "pso2 server offline" --> The Browser tabs stop working and you cant reload and and.

So, what we learned, this shitty guard is looking your traffic after specif terms of his game, and will block this trafic if found something. Only closing game can solve it (And Restart Edge or it will also crash all your extension why ever).

+1 to this Please fix this on Edge and other Chromium based browsers like Brave.

I am having the same issue as well browser seizes to work when the game is running and works fine after I close the game. I didn't have that problem until I had to reinstall the game for 6th time now after it stopped working after a reboot.