Are The Hirelings Kind Of Useless?

I now have a mini hireling in my mini-apartment. I sent it on 2 collection missions, and that was it.

It can't do harvest or fishing missions. I can't just send it out to explore, either. (Though I have seen it randomly on maps).

So is all it's good for is clearing collection missions? Or am I missing something?

I guess they are useless.

Yes they are worthless. If you could send them out to fish and mine for you at places and the higher they get the better chance at nice stuff it would be amazing.

@Eguzky said in Are The Hirelings Kind Of Useless?:

I now have a mini hireling in my mini-apartment. I sent it on 2 collection missions, and that was it.

It can't do harvest or fishing missions. I can't just send it out to explore, either. (Though I have seen it randomly on maps).

So is all it's good for is clearing collection missions? Or am I missing something?

They act as a unique NPC companion, and that's perfectly fine in most cases. They are however not FFXIV's retainers by any measure, even though there's some things in common. The other NPC partners are typically more useful if you have no friends in the game.

Don’t hirelings get used for crafting when that gets released? I could be wrong but I’m sure I heard that