Seldom seen a more un-user friendly experience.

@Kantose said in Seldom seen a more un-user friendly experience.:

@DistortedAura1 said in Seldom seen a more un-user friendly experience.:

Build a lego tower. Add some pieces to the top of it. Now Rebuild the tower with less pieces without taking the tower apart. It's not a perfect example but I think it gets the point across.

That's unfortunately not a good analogy for coding. Unless they are completely inexperienced idiots (they aren't) they would have designed the UI system using basic data structures that they could modify the number of elements within it. Since neither of us is privy to the details of their specific engine we can't say how hard changing the location of function calls would be. Given that SEGA would not have been totally inexperienced when they wrote their inhouse engine I find it pretty unlikely they would have designed it to be completely infeasible to modify.

Um. I think you need to look at this a different way. This is not a matter of multiple elements. This is a matter of 2d and 3d space being tied to code, that calls other code, that calls other game objects/ui elements. Go take a look at a unity menu tutorial or two and then think about what a less standardized engine from the early 2000s designed to run on handheld consoles and might be like to work with. Modern engines like unity, cry engine, and unreal handle things devs used to have to set manually in many cases.

This is a ue3 tutorial which is given it was made to be a product will be leagues more user friendly than what sega was using at the time. http://www.hourences.com/tutorials-ue3-uiscene/

@Bippzy said in Seldom seen a more un-user friendly experience.:

Japanese MMOs have always been menu-heavy and a bit convoluted when it comes to certain systems. FFXI is crazier than PSO2 (in my opinion at least). Even FFXIV has its share of submenu management to a degree. It just comes with the territory for a Japanese MMO and that’s something I have come to expect when playing a Japanese MMO.

This resumes all.

@DistortedAura1 I've coded fairly extensively in Unity so I'm quite aware of UI design, of which of course Unity makes very painless and is undoubtedly less difficult than what they are using. I still don't see how the underlying infrastructure of basic pruning such as removing an option from the menu and instead having a button that brings up 2 windows instead of 1 (lets say both weapons and armor called equipment) would be that arduous especially since they clearly have that infrastructure as some buttons bring up multiple windows already. Even in the old stuff I wrote in Visual Basic that I designed embarrassingly poorly this wouldn't be an issue.

No idea what you mean by 3d space being tied to code that calls other code though, unless this is some bizarre way of referring to a button?

All of these are complaints that come from someone who never bothers to read.

Yet another person who comes here solely to doom and gloom. It's starting to lose the surprise factor. Literally arrived 1 day ago and all he's done is complain and say the game will do badly because he can't be bothered to read and figure things out.

@Bippzy said in Seldom seen a more un-user friendly experience.:

Even FFXIV has its share of submenu management to a degree. It just comes with the territory for a Japanese MMO and that’s something I have come to expect when playing a Japanese MMO.

The problem with FFXIV is that they started adding stuff on top of stuff, without taking care to clean up. The game released in a really clean and user friendly state, but lost focus as the patches went on... I imagine this is the same thing that happened with PSO2.

Hate Blizzard but they're really good with this, UI and gameplay flow was streamlined even after a decade of patches.

@SilkYukata said in Seldom seen a more un-user friendly experience.:

Hate Blizzard but they're really good with this, UI and gameplay flow was streamlined even after a decade of patches.

And yet a ton of people use addons because of how bad it ultimately can be.

@Ephemiel said in Seldom seen a more un-user friendly experience.:

@SilkYukata said in Seldom seen a more un-user friendly experience.:

And yet a ton of people use addons because of how bad it ultimately can be.

They use addons because they can, not because the UI is bad. If given the option, why wouldn't you customize the game to be more fun to you?

@Dkzero22 said in Seldom seen a more un-user friendly experience.:

Some people will whine about anything.

Waaaahhhh I can't figure out these menus waaahhhhh make the game easier for me waaahhhhhh

Yet another person who comes here solely to doom and gloom. It's starting to lose the surprise factor. Literally arrived 1 day ago and all he's done is complain and say the game will do badly because he can't be bothered to read and figure things out.

I cant believe I'm saying this but some pc players seriously should not have joined, I'm hoping they bounce because all theyve done everyday, every time they wake up the first thing they do is bash the game, whine, cry, complain. They also never stop mentioning how pc should've got it first. The ego on people are insane. Then theres the idiots that say the game is pc based when in reality its designed for CONSOLE.

They rated it poorly on day one of launch, as a pc player it hurts to say this but pc community is a plagueeeee, thankfully we have some cool ppl coming from it though.

No.

Poorly designed UI is poorly designed. Can I muscle through to figure it out? Sure. As a new player (and LOL at being bashed for joining days ago when the game launched here in NA days ago) what is my motivation to though?

This is something of a barrier to otherwise fun gameplay. But if I didn't get that far, if I didn't "read" and "learn" and <insert euphemism for bludgeoning myself against clunky menus etc.> then ... why would I bother?

Defending a bad system is mostly just encouraging new players to quit before they ever begin. I'm truly baffled by the logic that this is a good thing. Don't we play MMOs to play together? Or is that just me?

EDIT: also wut about the hate for PC getting a release later? That is such a non-sequitur I don't know where to begin. If you're going to throw shade, at least throw it on topic please.

@Lwyu I'm a PC player though lol. I don't just trash talk everyone.

@Lwyu Always expect a mixed bag of people when crossplay happen, always.

Lmao, OP is a moron and should go play something else. No one here is agreeing with him yet he thinks his word is gospel. Personally, I love the menu's. Sure, it took a minute to figure it all out but the amount of information at my fingertips is mighty nice. Go complain elsewhere kid.

Some people enjoy the menus, other people want "streamlined" experiences ... The community as a whole has supported the current system. Feel free to continue to voice you opinion but unless you can equate enough voices to 8 years of experience and support, all you can do is just vent your frustration I am afraid. I do not see SEGA streamlining the game for now. Regardless,I hope your experience gets better with time.

@Morgothryuzaki said in Seldom seen a more un-user friendly experience.:

@Lwyu I'm a PC player though lol. I don't just trash talk everyone.

The PC bit wasn't directed at you. Didn't make that clear.

I'm not sure what you mean about trash talking though.

The UI seems unintuitive to me as well. A lot of small things, for example, trying to equip an item from the "items" menu takes you to "equip weapons" rather than assigning it to your current weapons slot, same with trying to equip armor. This is something that can be done in other older games I've played. I hardly ever play current gen games, mostly ps1 ps2 era stuff, although not many mmos.

"chat settings" is under "system" rather than being under "community" which has a icon with two ppl and a chat bubble. Actually most of the chat settings are under "settings" so maybe condense "Inventory" and "Equipment" for a "chat" menu, or add things from the quick menu to a new catagory.