Do you plan to buy AC when the game launches

@BusterNewman said in Do you plan to buy AC when the game launches:

@Geordie-P said in Do you plan to buy AC when the game launches:

I dunno im having second thoughts about paying money for a ten year old game of unknown longevity..... hmm

I unfortunately have the same concern. I don't wanna rain on anyone's parade but regardless of which way we look at it, PSO2 is almost 8 years old (8th anniversary is June I think?). That's already longer than any of the other online Phantasy Star games lasted.

I was there for PSO shutting down & I was there for the farce that was the end off PSU. These games were pay to play and certain versions had mandatory subscriptions to play online. It doesn't leave the best impression. I would hate for us a community to fall in love with this game after an 8 year wait to have the plug pulled too soon (again). Or for a new entry in the franchise (released in Japan or otherwise) to split the community.

With that said, we're in a completely different time for gaming now. Games are supported a lot longer, even with relatively small communities & PSO2 has proven to be a success. It will likely support it's self for a long time.

But given the history, I do have my concerns.

Indeed, perhaps PSO3 /PSU2 may get more of my attention. For many reasons...

I dunno im having second thoughts about paying money for a ten year old game of unknown longevity..... hmm

Even though almost 60k people were on the closed beta? That's more people than PSU ever had at once in its entire lifetime in the West. I'm going by the Player ID number count. People in the lobbies literally said they purchased Xbox Ones just for the CBT.

@Duchess-May said in Do you plan to buy AC when the game launches:

Even though almost 60k people were on the closed beta? That's more people than PSU ever had at once in its entire lifetime in the West. I'm going by the Player ID number count. People in the lobbies literally said they purchased Xbox Ones just for the CBT.

Remember that Microsoft is advertising this game like crazy. I would expect a lot more players in this game than any other PS game that was released in the west.

Woah. Was there numbers released somewhere? 60K people on the beta is awesome news. Definitely a good sign for the game's future.

@Photon_Cat said in Do you plan to buy AC when the game launches:

Woah. Was there numbers released somewhere? 60K people on the beta is awesome news. Definitely a good sign for the game's future.

Released? Nope. But you can toggle the user ID above people head's just like in PSU. My number was 37k. I saw upwards of close to 60k, but I didn't have it on the whole time (I wanted to see names instead). Plus this game is free to play and does not require a subscription, unlike PSU.

@Photon_Cat said in Do you plan to buy AC when the game launches:

Released? Nope. But you can toggle the user ID above people head's just like in PSU. My number was 37k. I saw upwards of close to 60k, but I didn't have it on the whole time (I wanted to see names instead). Plus this game is free to play and does not require a subscription, unlike PSU.

Oh, that makes sense. Thank you for the explanation. I didn't realize the username could be toggled. Yes it would make sense the game gets a lot more users then PSU. The PSU lobbies were so big, too. Which made the already small userbase feel even more spread out. I think the PSO2 lobby size is perfect. Not too big, and not too small. Microsoft helping promote definitely seems to have attracted attention outside of the usual audience.

@Photon_Cat Every block on ship 1 stayed above 70% capacity. Blocks 1-16 stayed commonly full.

@Photon_Cat I saw players with numbers hundreds of thousands above mine. I think it was random or regional somehow. There were 10 digits following 2 letters.

Even just comparing PSU, the most recent game in NA on a main console, or PSP2, the most recent Phantasy Star game period for NA before PSO2, didn't see attention like this. Granted, 60K numbers is nothing the likes of FFXIV or WoW pushing almost 1mil active users daily, but still, for a niche title like this, and my past experiences with seeing the population live in PSU and PSP2, this level of attention CBT for PSO2 NA saw was astounding.

I am going to whale the game because I do have disposable income because the numbers have shown there is demand for this game. And I feel like the long hiatus the game took as well it basically becoming a meme for a NA release since 2012 has propelled it to greater popularity now that it is finally out here.

@Sylus Give them all the disposable incomes.

@Photon_Cat I saw players with numbers hundreds of thousands above mine. I think it was random or regional somehow. There were 10 digits following 2 letters.

No, that was a different number. There are two different numbers. I'm mixing up the terminology... one was the Player ID and then there was a fixed, incremental number (can't remember the name).

@Sylus said in Do you plan to buy AC when the game launches:

Even just comparing PSU, the most recent game in NA on a main console, or PSP2, the most recent Phantasy Star game period for NA before PSO2, didn't see attention like this. Granted, 60K numbers is nothing the likes of FFXIV or WoW pushing almost 1mil active users daily, but still, for a niche title like this, and my past experiences with seeing the population live in PSU and PSP2, this level of attention CBT for PSO2 NA saw was astounding.

I am going to whale the game because I do have disposable income because the numbers have shown there is demand for this game. And I feel like the long hiatus the game took as well it basically becoming a meme for a NA release since 2012 has propelled it to greater popularity now that it is finally out here.

60K for a closed beta is pretty normal, I'd think, if not even a bit high. We'll see how the OBT and launch do! I'd expect a few hundred thousand people since it's free and seems to have some traction.

I spent in the shop on the JP side. Why wouldn't I here?

Yes, I will. The more characters you have, the less of a pain this game becomes in certain bonus, storage, and financial ailments (not just for meseta). Having 150 inventory slots on a main character is a blessing. 1000 character storage on a main character is an even greater blessing for my closet-storage needs.

Will never put anything else in its storage. This game has 1000s of costumes/color variances. Leaving them in character storage also allows them to be used from Este, instead of needing to carry them with you when trying to mix & match for a new look. Premium experience bonuses are godsend for all my leveling needs, and so are the extra crafting slots until my account has gathered enough item rechargers.

Etc.

@SeijinNoboru said in Do you plan to buy AC when the game launches:

bruh i plan to thow down $1,500 when OB releases.

Woooo now that's some dedication But it also shows how much you love PSO2. I wish to support this game as well. I'm probably going to drop either a hundred or $200 a month.