Please change Afin's dialogue/voice.

This seriously makes me cringe every time I read it. Afin is not Australian, or whatever failed attempt at Austrlian you tried to make him. There is no Australia in PSO. Calling people "love" doesn't fit his personality, either. He refers to the main character as "aibou" which means partner or companion, because he/she is Afin's partner. "Mate" is a general term used by Aussies for friends and anyone they're friendly with can be referred to as mate.

I'm all for creativity, but this completely goes against his personality and character. Please, please fix this. It's the one complaint I have about this game.

@Montug said in Please change Afin's dialogue/voice.:

This seriously makes me cringe every time I read it. Afin is not Australian, or whatever failed attempt at Austrlian you tried to make him. There is no Australia in PSO. Calling people "love" doesn't fit his personality, either. He refers to the main character as "aibou" which means partner or companion, because he/she is Afin's partner. "Mate" is a general term used by Aussies for friends and anyone they're friendly with can be referred to as mate.

I'm all for creativity, but this completely goes against his personality and character. Please, please fix this. It's the one complaint I have about this game.

Seconded this, the translation you are using for this game isn't accurate to actual dialog at all.

Luv is more of a North of England thing then an Australian thing. I haven't gotten the game yet, are you sure they weren't going for a Northern English accent? I played the JP version and I guess I could see an Australian accent working for him, but I can't imagine a Northern English accent working for him, but I really don't think the accent sounds good from men unless they have a slightly off old man vibe and are prone to confabulations.

If I had a nickel for every time anime made an American a blonde cursing cowboy... It doesn't bother me actually, I think it's endearing even if it is a little cringy. I think it depends on the tone of the game. And to be honest, Afin's goofiness matches up pretty well with how absurdly anime this game is.

Besides isn't this a sci fi game game based in some speculative future? How can you be sure how his dialects should sound? For all we know he might have grew up in an area with a lot of mixed cultures.

@Merelambasted said in Please change Afin's dialogue/voice.:

If I had a nickel for every time anime made an American a blonde cursing cowboy... It doesn't bother me actually, I think it's endearing even if it is a little cringy. I think it depends on the tone of the game. And to be honest, Afin's goofiness matches up pretty well with how absurdly anime this game is.

Besides isn't this a sci fi game game based in some speculative future? How can you be sure how his dialects should sound? For all we know he might have grew up in an area with a lot of mixed cultures.

Just like the world has various accents in English, Japan has dialects based on the region they're from. He had no special dialects from what I could understand from playing on JP and watching the anime. While he was really friendly and happy to be your partner, he still only referred to you as that. And as I mentioned, he didn't go around giving pet names to people he met for the first time (like love).

I'd love to see this but the logistics of changing a characters voice can take months.

Just switch over to the JP voices lol.

@Montug Ah I see what you mean.

@SHYST said in Please change Afin's dialogue/voice.:

I'd love to see this but the logistics of changing a characters voice can take months.

If done right each voice clip is recorded individually and is easy to replace (since they trigger based on user input). Black Desert managed to pull it off with one of their less popular characters because of player complaints.

Replacing text should be fairly simple as well. Afin actually doesn't have a ton of dialogue as a whole. Most of it's side character banter.

@2B said in Please change Afin's dialogue/voice.:

Just switch over to the JP voices lol.

That's the thing, I play with JP voices but the dialogue in the text still reflects the Australian dialogue and it's irritating beyond belief.

Honestly, every time I am running a mission with him, I always say "I'am really feeling it!" From xenoblades. He is our Shulk afterall.

Tbh I thought he was English. I'm from the UK, and mate and love are used a lot here. I had a friend who worked for Royal Caribbean - he was forever being asked if he was Australian and he was from Essex. The accents are very similar.

But yeah, his is one of the voices which really doesn't fit the character. I interact with him as little as possible