What's up with the level-gated skills?

I imagine they're a new thing, cuz I don't remember them from the JP version.

I'm quite confused on how I'm supposed to trigger them. I don't see them anywhere outside of the skill tree, but their descriptions suggest I have to use them as I would any other active skill.

I assume you mean "Sidestep Jump," "First Arts Perfect Attack Addition," "Air Reversal,""Perf. Recovery & ATK Combo," and "Double Jump," correct?

These were added to the JPN version of the game in December 2018, with all of them except "Double Jump" and "First Arts Perfect Attack Addition," having previously been Skill Rings.

Once you hit the right level, they unlock, and you can take them for 0 SP. They are all passive Skills, so you don't need to activate them.

• "Sidestep Jump" allows you to jump during a Sidestep or Dodge directly into full running speed.
  • "First Arts Perfect Attack Addition" makes your first attack always count as a Perfect Attack.
  • "Air Reversal" allows you to do a Perfect Recovery in the air instead of only being to do it when you hit the ground.
  • "Perf. Recovery & ATK Combo" gives Perfect Recoveries a Perfect Attack window allowing you to attack right away from a recovery.
  • "Double Jump" is simply giving you a double jump like with Jet Boots.

Oh wow, 2018. I must've been blind as a freaking bat the last time I checked my skills on the JP version.

I guess the first one wasn't translated correctly? The description says "Jumping during a Dodge Action transitions you into a dash." The use of the word "dash" in particular is confusing because that's usually different than "full running speed." I just tried it out without any weapons equipped and it worked, so I guess it just doesn't trigger when I have a takt equipped, which is counterintuitive to have it as the earliest "free" skill we can unlock as a Su.

The second one also only seems to work when I don't have a takt equipped.

I'm still confused. Are they not working when I have a takt equipped because they're bugged or is this intended? It's just so weird that they're on the Su tree but can't be triggered with a takt equipped.

@unnecesaurus They do work with a Takt, it's just that Takt's (and Rod's and Talis's) timing is different for them because of the length of the dodge itself. If you use the Ring that shortens it, it is much easier to use.

@AndrlCh said in What's up with the level-gated skills?:

@unnecesaurus They do work with a Takt, it's just that Takt's (and Rod's and Talis's) timing is different for them because of the length of the dodge itself. If you use the Ring that shortens it, it is much easier to use.

yeah, that makes sense. The invencibility frames on tech-based weapons has always been insane. I didn't notice the perfect attack skill, though. I saw the effect when I had nothing equipped but with the takt, I see nothing. Is it that the effect is just invisible cuz it's a takt or something?

@unnecesaurus You can't Perfect Attack with Pets. You can still Perfect Attack as a Summoner, but only when using Techs (which sheathes your Harmonizer/Takt) or with a Gunblade, so the Skill will only work in those cases.