How to Manually Uninstall PSO2

I am editing the layout to make it look better, bare with me

Greetings,

I work in the IT Department as an IT Support Technician (Be nice if PSO2 hires me) and here is a step-by-step guide on how to manually uninstall PSO2 for reinstall due to one of the following:

• Selected the wrong installation drive (What I did)

• Prompted to reinstall PSO2 in the Microsoft Store due to an error

• Other sporadic issues

The way Microsoft Store works is that the program is installed as TrustedInstaller rather than the Windows user account administrator like other games. This results in begin unable to uninstall the program unless overriding the permission by inheritance.

1. Navigate to C:\Program Files (Note: Change C:\ to D:\ etc what ever your drive letter is)
  2. Right click on ModifiableWindowsApps > Properties > Security > Advanced
  3. Select Change

Change.PNG

4 . In the Enter the object name to select put in the account administrator (for example, I am the account administrator, which is my name, Ryan) then select Check Names and Ok.

Check Names.PNG

5 . Select Replace owner on sub containers and objects and click on Apply

Replace.PNG

6 . Close out all the permission windows, then go back to ModifiableWindowsApps > Properties > Security > Advanced

7 . In Permissions, select Administrators > Edit > Full Control, and apply Administrators.PNG

8 . Delete in the following order

• a. Go to C:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps\pso2_bin\data – Delete both license and win32 folders.

• b. Go to *C:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps* – Delete pso2_bin folder

• FYI: If you decide to delete just the pso2_bin, then it will error out if you don’t delete in this order

9 . In Libraries, go to Documents > Delete Sega Folder

10 . Go to Apps and Features > Uninstall PSO2

11 . Run Disk Cleanup and Reboot

12 . Reinstall the Game

How to Change Microsoft Store Download Location:

1. In Windows 10 search, type in Storage Settings
  2. Select Change where new content is saved
  3. Change New apps will save to:
  4. Select the proper disk drive. Mine is selected to D:\

I hope this helps y'all! I want to save this game, been waiting a very long for this not to fail.

If you are a little more savvy, use these:

Open an admin privileged Command Prompt, copy and paste both lines in, one after another.

Note: The TAKEOWN line is dependant on your Windows language locale. use

takeown /?

to see what letter you need for the /D option, you need the one for accepting to take ownership and replace that for the line you need. I premade 2, so pick the one for your language (since I don't know any other language, you are on your own)

EN / English Locale:

takeown /F "C:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps" /R /D Y /S %computername% /U %username%
cacls "C:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps" /T /G %username%:F SYSTEM:F

DE / German Locale:

takeown /F "C:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps" /R /D J /S %computername% /U %username%
cacls "C:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps" /T /G %username%:F SYSTEM:F

You can also use these as a batch to restore access after PSO2 locked you out and refuses to start again. If you have a full install, these will take a while to process, grab a coffee.. unless SSD.

if for whatever reason you get a "command not found" on CACLS, we have problem. Continue at step #6 in the guide above.

Can you confirm that the game does not glitch out and do nothing when you select the taskbar icon or start menu icon? Or if you get it to run from the windows store do nothing?

I sort of did this process but my modifiablewindowsapps is empty.. all of my data was in windowsapps\mutablebackup

I had 2 copies of the game I had to get rid of and now am just not wanting to go a 3rd round trying to download it again because I feel like it's just going to work the first time I run it and then glitch out the second time.

?

Yes, I confirmed that this works without glitching out. I redownloaded the game without any issues. Maybe you missed an important step?

Considering I haven't tried to re-install it a 3rd time I doubt I missed any steps.

Can you shut your computer down, restart it, and then get the game to run with no problems? I have no problem getting it to run after the initial download. I can even close the game and re open it with no problems. The issue (as it is with a lot of people) is when we shut it down for the night, then try to log in the next day. The game appears to do nothing. I found that you can at least run the launcher from the windows store, but after the initial little box graphic that says Phantasy Star 2 appears and dissapears, it doesn't run the game. If you do any tweaking at all trying to to get it to run it will then just attempt to re-download an entire new installation and put ANOTHER folder in program files/windowsapps/mutablebackup

btw: the game is completely deleted from my system at the moment. Sega folder, mutable folders in windowsapps, everything. I'm going to give it a nother shot since I've already basically deleted everything you gave instructions for. If it doesn't work I'll try your guide to uninstall and then re download it once more for a final attempt. Thanks for the post!

This is a great guide, thank you for making it. But I get stuck at step 7

7 . In Permissions, select Administrators > Edit > Full Control, and apply

I assume it's because I have Windows 10 Home and not Pro. There are quite a few Admin things I don't have access too.

@TrustyPanda said in How to Manually Uninstall PSO2:

I assume it's because I have Windows 10 Home and not Pro. There are quite a few Admin things I don't have access too.

Home instead of Pro shouldn't matter. I only have Home and can make changes fine by changing owners. I also did an in-place upgrade back when Microsoft officially allowed free upgrades to Windows 10 and upgraded from Windows 7 Home to Windows 10 Home. I have never once had to factory restore the PC, either.

@Ragnawind Hmmm... well to make it work I did this:

NoSpax mentioned this line, so I entered in the command line

takeown /F "C:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps" /R /D Y /S %computername% /U %username%

After that I was able to change the permissions... the folder is empty though. So maybe the game totally nuked itself?

Could this launch have gone any worse?

Some people have had issues of the game deleting itself.

I am sure, the windows store interferes. It probably treats a post-update PSO2 as invalid and removes it, because the manifest doesn't match. Never heard of a game DELETE itself unless something else is involved.

A better way would be restore PSO2 to a standalone by putting all files into C:\PSO2, recreating any folder structures and have the lines I posted ready as a batch, because you will have to use it a lot - tweaked for the new path ofc. I converted my PSOJP to PSONA and boy was that annoying.

I deleted the license and win32 folders before trying to delete pso2_bin, but it still gave me an error.

Edit: Fixed it. I went into the pso2_bin folder, selected all and deleted everything. I was then able to delete the folder because it was empty.

@Filation said in How to Manually Uninstall PSO2:

I deleted the license and win32 folders before trying to delete pso2_bin, but it still gave me an error.

Edit: Fixed it. I went into the pso2_bin folder, selected all and deleted everything. I was then able to delete the folder because it was empty.

Sweetness! I am glad that it worked out well for you! This guide is what worked for me, so I guess some slight modification will be necessary for each individual case, but the guide serves as a strong enough foundation. I was able to reinstall the game onto my second hard drive, no issues and play the game even after a restart.

@TrustyPanda said in How to Manually Uninstall PSO2:

Thank you for the positive feedback! I am glad to help! If you do not see the Administrator, then do the following:

1. Right click on ModifiableWindowsApps > Properties > Security > Advanced
  2. Click on Add
  3. Click Select a Principal
  4. In the Enter the object name to select > Put in administrator > Check Names
  5. Give Full Control
  6. Ok and go about deleting the contents you need

@NoSpax @SmearyChunk75

Thanks a lot for these suggestion, I'm among those with a nuked install after a reboot and I can't get MS Store to reinstall despite its proposal to do so. I'll therefore try to clean up everything manually and start with a fresh new install.

@Utahime39 said in How to Manually Uninstall PSO2:

@NoSpax @SmearyChunk75

Thanks a lot for these suggestion, I'm among those with a nuked install after a reboot and I can't get MS Store to reinstall despite its proposal to do so. I'll therefore try to clean up everything manually and start with a fresh new install.

You're welcome! Glad to help! I hope I don't see anymore forum post about I can't uninstall the game or I will face plant my face into the desk. Best of luck getting the game to install properly!