What was the point of an NA release?

There's literally 0 incentive to play PSO2 NA.

The JP servers are better than what we have now:

PROS:

• No lag
  • More content released

CONS:

• Has high leveled veterans that have been playing for a long time.
  • Economy is already developed
  • Both of which are identical CONS to Ships 1-3, except ships 1-3 have no PROS.

Employers expect employees to fulfill their role even amidst the outbreak. I should know, I'm one of them. Yet there has been no communication from any source. We're two days into the launch and we have no new servers, players still can't get the game to start.

As an IT person, it would have taken me 15 minutes to type up "User Facing Articles" for installation issues. Things like "Try this, if you have this error" etc.

It would have taken me 5 seconds to turn on a new server. Don't think for a moment that there aren't anymore. They have servers, the servers are ready to be used for gameplay too. They're already paid for. SEGA is not using them, god fucking knows why.

It would have taken me maybe 60 seconds to type out a status update on Twitter. Something like, "We are aware of X issues and will followup within X timeframe" or "No/Yes we're implementing new ships by X date."

I don't know if it's a staffing issue, or if the manager is new to his position, but this is flabbergasting.

Don't mistake this for entitlement this is called basic expectations.

I have had the opportunity to play for the past 2 days. I'm literally sitting with my thumb up my ass because there's no response from management.

We're two days into launch, and not a word about anything, install issues or otherwise. Doesn't SEGA see any problems with that? Epidemic/Corvid is no excuse. In modern society, your employers and consumers expect production. I've seen everything but "productivity" so far, in the last 2 days, on all fronts.

Lots of people still can't install or run the game properly No new servers No communication from anyone, anywhere. That's 3 strikes.

1. We asked for it for years.
  2. Official English instead of having to wait for the Tweaker.
  3. Cash.

What i don't get is how did it come out in such an insanely broken state. Lag, server issues, this is something we've ALL endured especially in big patch days for big MMOs [oh lord, expansions day 1 for FFXIV and WoW=pure hell].

However, PSO2 seems to randomly delete itself for some people, suddenly REAPPEAR for others, have corrupted permissions, files can't be accessed by their own installers and many other issues. It's almost funny how crazy it all is.

The problem is they used MSIX to convert their exe installer to work in a UWP environment, but obviously made some mistakes in the pathing, or the language barrier led to some syntax errors.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/msix/

At this point, we can only call it neglect.

I support XBOX and cross play, but it should have been released on both platforms at the same time. That would eliminate some rant.

As for the installation issues, they should have had a beta period for PC.

For everything else, communication would ease the community, at least a little.

Phantasy Star Online 2 (NA) @play_pso2 · May 27 Hi there, we apologize for the negative experience you've had trying to download and set up #PSO2NA. We have been passing along all of your comments and error codes to the development team and they are aware of these issues. Thank you for your patience and have a great day.

When the company is Japanese and the West is English there becomes a barrier. People asked countless times for them to test things ahead of time to find any bugs and such but people also said it works fine on PC already so nothing to worry about. Obviously if they did test it then it was on a flawless computer that worked and they just assumed it would work perfectly fine for everyone. Maybe they should have just said PC is on a 2 week beta start that way they could have just pawned off any problems on that.

@PhantasyStar369 That tweet is literally a reply to another person. I wouldn't call that an official statement, not to mention it was posted at 1 PM yesterday.

Language barrier is also an invalid statement. SEGA was founded in 1960. It's been 60 years. I refuse the believe they don't have an "English" branch handling this release. This is nothing short of poor management, lack of staffing, or neglect. Doesn't take a PHD to link the dots together.

@VirtuesHope said in What was the point of an NA release?:

@PhantasyStar369 That tweet is literally a reply to another person. I wouldn't call that an official statement, not to mention it was posted at 1 PM yesterday.

Language barrier is also an invalid statement. SEGA was founded in 1960. It's been 60 years. I refuse the believe they don't have an "English" branch handling this release. This is nothing short of poor management, lack of staffing, or neglect. Doesn't take a PHD to link the dots together.

I hate to tell you this but SEGA closed majority of it's branches. Hell the branch that helped PSU was closed. (below is from 2015)

SEGA of America announced it would be cutting 300 employees jobs as part of major reorganization and restructure for the company's business model. Sega's San Francisco office will be closed down and moved to a Souther Californian studio.

“This move was crucial to keep SEGA operations moving forward throughout North America and to provide our millions of fans a strong pipeline of content across gaming, TV, merchandising, and more," said John Cheng, president and COO of SEGA of America, “We are confident that by relocating to Southern California we will be able to thrive, grow and become a stronger company because of it.”

"SEGA has positioned Digital Games, particularly smartphone and PC online gaming, as a growth area and has determined to implement the following measures in order to constantly post profits by improving management efficiency while promptly promoting redistribution of management resources."

PSO2 in the West isn't even run by SOA

@VirtuesHope : Hate to break it to you, but PSO2 NA is being handled by Sega Japan. They hired a 3rd party for localization, and another third party to serve as a middleman for support that is based in North America, but everything "under the hood" (the servers, game itself, etc.) is handled by Sega of Japan, which only consists of Japanese staff members.

Can't wait to see how this goes during the PS4 release. I might honestly have to wait even longer just to play this damn game.

@R4iNF3LL said in What was the point of an NA release?:

Can't wait to see how this goes during the PS4 release. I might honestly have to wait even longer just to play this damn game.

It could skip PS4 depending on how Sony handles things and just be on PS5 in the West. But with literally no talk of a PSO2 on Playstation means it is gonna be a long while. Also they would need to play nice with MS or just be alone.

@Nevzat said in What was the point of an NA release?:

I have had the opportunity to play for the past 2 days. I'm literally sitting with my thumb up my ass because there's no response from management.

We're two days into launch, and not a word about anything, install issues or otherwise. Doesn't SEGA see any problems with that? Epidemic/Corvid is no excuse. In modern society, your employers and consumers expect production. I've seen everything but "productivity" so far, in the last 2 days, on all fronts.

Lots of people still can't install or run the game properly No new servers No communication from anyone, anywhere. That's 3 strikes.

PSO Limbo.

@Nevzat said in What was the point of an NA release?:

One lesson learned from how things are structured... just cause nothing is said doesn't mean that nothing is being done about it.

The ones running the server and responsible for pretty much anything to do with programming, bug fixes, porting, etc are all the dev team at Sega of Japan while the people responsible for communicating with players in English, acting as customer support, and moderating the game are all being handled by an external company; ESTsoft. The issues plaguing the game are indeed big enough for the community team at ESTsoft to notice but they can't do a thing about it cause thats Sega of Japan's job to fix nor can they say anything about it until Sega of Japan tells them what their official response should be.

alt text