Censoring in game ?

@John-Paul-RAGE , Azure at the end of the day is a platform which anyone can use and doesn't require licensing either... its a subscription (though SEGA may say... have gotten a free deal or a discount). Microsoft basically has about as much involvement running PSO2's servers as Amazon does running Fortnite's servers...

For some more insight... yes, Microsoft has the physical cloud servers around the world which anyone can use for whatever purpose... in this case, SEGA of Japan from the Azure Dashboard can select to use a North American Azure Cloud server and do their usual thing from the dashboard without needing to worry bout maintaining physical servers. However, in terms of server software and anything that happens ingame that is server-side, thats all on SEGA's end.

@Leonkh99 Microsoft does have some strict terms of service, though.

Theoretically could be the reason behind any form of censorship, if censorship does occurs.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in Censoring in game ?:

@Leonkh99 Microsoft does have some strict terms of service, though.

Theoretically could be the reason behind any form of censorship, if censorship does occurs.

Sadly this is very true. Wish they would just update on what's being censored and what's not. It's important to be transparent with your community

@CodeBreaker-V1 I think the lack of communication regarding "censorship" at the moment is likely due to things not being completely settled yet.

I was reading a Publisher License Agreement that Xbox and a different company had, it is a super involved process that requires a lot of back and forth if XBOX/Microsoft has issues with the content.

MS is not that strict honestly. If anyone would be censor heavy its Sony NA branch for stateside games

@Meta77 said in Censoring in game ?:

MS is not that strict honestly. If anyone would be censor heavy its Sony NA branch for stateside games

Basically this. +1

It's goes even beyond that. The NA Branch tells JP Devs what is and isn't acceptable in their games on Sony's platform.

I am personally not affected by the changes revealed so far, as i play a tall, male character.

I was born a HUmar and i will die a HUmar.

With that being said, if the news of the censorship end up being true and confirmed, i may stick to PSO2JP.

Not because i care about lolis, in fact, i find them disturbing.

But because i do not support censorship and bending the knee to the politically correct Social Media overlords.

It is a matter of principles and beliefs.

If that were to be the case, however, i still wish the best of times and lovely adventures to those who will still play.

I hope you enjoy the game as much as i have enjoyed it in PSO2JP, i truly do, i am not being sarcastic.

I guess for now, we wait and see.

@Diamond-Cats258 said in Censoring in game ?:

It's goes even beyond that. The NA Branch tells JP Devs what is and isn't acceptable in their games on Sony's platform.

Looks at one piece world seeker where the jp version had a entire story episode removed aka the hop springs world mission kept in jp removed in na.

@IfrianMMO said in Censoring in game ?:

I was born a HUmar and i will die a HUmar.

More beautiful words have never been spoken.

@Z0DIAK-BRAVE said in Censoring in game ?:

Basically this. +1

alt text

@coldreactive said in Censoring in game ?:

@Z0DIAK-BRAVE said in Censoring in game ?:

alt text

Ô_ô

@Leonkh99 said in Censoring in game ?:

Microsoft nor SEGA of America running PSO2 NA.... anything relating to source code; whether it be porting the game to Xbox One, implementing the language options, implementing the localized game files, or even doing censorship are all done by the original dev team...

Can you cite a source for this? I know SoA isn't handling it, but I never heard them about paying the JP devs to do it.... I can't find any information on this.

@sKRuBbyD3KbruSh Microsoft approached SEGA of Japan to release the game in the West. According to this Japanese article about PSO2 NA, Microsoft's Involvement and MS Azure, (https://web.archive.org/web/20190929131806/https://www.gamebusiness.jp/article/2019/07/22/15987.html), SEGA of Japan was the one to decide on using MS Azure and the way they talk of it implies they will be running the servers themselves. Now regarding the JP devs doing it, the way these game releases are done, Microsoft doesn't have access to the game's source code nor do the localizers or community team. To add onto this, past PSO2 releases in Taiwan and South East Asia have had the operators stating that any modifications made to the game have to be done by SEGA themselves. Things like Taiwan using Gamania's launcher to login, PSO2 SEA's Pay-to-Win Costumes as well as any exclusive content (Costumes, Lobbies, etc) both versions got had to be developed and implemented by SEGA themselves. I can dig up some sources on those two ends with some time if you'd like...

Microsoft's role, in the end, is very minimal in terms of development, at best being a provider for technologies like MS Azure as well as a financial backer. Though I won't deny that as a console manufacturer, they might have terms and conditions SEGA might have to abide for... but at the same time it's not uncommon for companies to self-censor as well (look at Namco and their censorship of Dragon Ball Fusions and Tales of Berseria).

A follow up to my previous post, sources showing SEGA does all game changes themselves:

The following is an interview regarding the Taiwan version involving the JP devs who clearly state that the exclusive content was designed in-house and developed into the game by SEGA: https://gnn.gamer.com.tw/detail.php?sn=90408

The following is an interview done with AsiaSoft employees regarding the PSO2 Thai version. As the interview states, SEGA is the one who develops all exclusive content for the game: http://pattypso2th.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-33.html#comment28

This is the way things go, at the end of the day PSO2 NA's source code lies with the JP dev team who are also handling a lot more this time around seeing as they'll be running the NA servers themselves.