Censoring in game ?

@sKRuBbyD3KbruSh said in Censoring in game ?:

EDIT: Do M-rated games show up on the store if you have parental controls enabled?

No they do not. Parental controls for W10 and Xbox can block all content above a specific rating. So if the rating is set to Teen. Then all content above the rating of teen within those respective stores will be hidden to the account.

@The-Question Oi, thanks, bro. I was curious, thanks for the reply.

@sKRuBbyD3KbruSh the only thing I have had an issue with are those saying these two things:

1. Only anime fans wanna play PSO2

2. That changing cosmetic aspects of the game will make it a dead game.

To 1, anime fans will find it more relatable, but they are not the only market. (Or even the major market)

To 2, Western gamers kill games over end-game content and how the service is provided. If there is a lack of end-game, the game gets blasted and smeared to the ends of the Earth. If there are frequent issues providing the service (i.e. connection issues, excessive server down time, too many paywalls) the game will also get blasted to hell and back.

Censoring character appearances (by altering it, not even removing it) doesn't kill games. Not that this is even happening, anyways.

Just want to add what I think to this as well.

1 Only anime fans wanna play PSO2

I feel I should say something about this. A lot of nowadays are anime fans. It's such a widespread thing now that it's common for most people to have animes they like. So saying only anime fans wanna play pso2 is like saying only soliders wanna play CoD. (At least from my point of view.) A lot of content creators from youtube and twitch who only stream games like Destiny 2, CoD, PuBG, etc... Have brought a massive wave of people into the world of PSO2. Azelyra and Ginger Gaming on youtube have actually been interviewing a lot of those kinds of people and their communities to see why they all have a sudden interest and want for PSO2.

I think with the aid of that you will be seeing players from just about any genre at least trying this game out for a while. I also know a lot of MMO groups from games like Blessed Unleashed, FF14, Tera, BDO, and WoW are waiting for PC beta to arrive so they can all play it. One of the discord communities I am in has literally jumped up almost 1000 members in the last month just from CBT alone.

2 That changing cosmetic aspects of the game will make it a dead game.

I don't think this will happen either. There may be some that if they do get censored in the end may make players not like that costume as much anymore.(Will only really account to veterans of JP) But you have to keep in mind just how many costumes, camos, and accessories are actually in this game. There are so many comstumes and combinations that you can do that even with censors for some costumes people will still love the fashion. Customization is a big part of this game and it doesn't fail to deliver in anyway. They could censor 1000 costumes and I would still have 10,000 more that I would still use unaffected by the censor.

Just to state this though. I do not support the censorship and would like to see the western audiences get what we have on JP servers.

@John-Paul-RAGE If you're going to reply to me, at least try to understand what I'm saying.. I know you love me, but you don't have to make things up.

I honestly don't know how to reply to you since you're so off base with what I meant, which neither of those things are what I said.. I may have been making a joke about episode 4 being an Isekai anime or that I was comparing censorship in JRPGs to this... but I think I'm more of a boomer than you tho, and I know what kinds of people are interested in PSO2, but it will become hugely popular with the anime community, I FEEL, and it also fits in line with MS plans to steal weebs from Playstation.

Point 2, yeah sure end game is important, but please realize I'm talking about the company making a PROFIT, not some users TA, PvP record, or Endless score.... By the time we get level 100, IF we even do (JP just got level 90-95 last week), MS has to STILL be making money.. It's one thing if people dump 1,000s of dollars into it initially but in a year from now if they can't find ways to get cash out of people, guess what? if they can't pay for the team, they'll take them off of it.. now, does the game last 3 years? 5 years? Do we get updates for 10??? I doubt it. if anything, they'll just catch us up to JP and try to make their money back if profits start to dip.... I can kinda see that happening with how it's been announced, but IT'S A FACT that no company is going to expect to make a profit before they set it loose. they weren't "prepared" for the CBT, and they will probably be shocked at how hard people whale in this game... getting rid of cosmetics doesn't help them make money.. but if they made NEW clothes I'd be about if because I kinda think weebshit is cringe NGL, but let's be honest. It's not gonna happen unless they can trade ideas with JP devs and make the game truly global...

I'm not trying to diss you by any means, man. I just want you to be aware of what its gonna take to rebrand an 8 year old game, and how keeping it moving at a decent pace and not rushing it, is what will keep PSO2 around for years....

@The-Question said in Censoring in game ?:

They could censor 1000 costumes and I would still have 10,000 more that I would still use unaffected by the censor.

Don't exaggerate. I agree that there are a lot... but people don't exactly scratch 10k AC trying to pull a blouse.

@sKRuBbyD3KbruSh Yeah that is an exageration. I was only giving an example though. But there is enough that with camos, accessories, and costumes combinations that will make some of the censorships not even noticeable to the new players.

@sKRuBbyD3KbruSh Yeah that is an exageration. I was only giving an example though. But there is enough that with camos, accessories, and costumes combinations that will make some of the censorships not even noticeable to the new players.

Honestly tho, I think the new scratch is kinda trash but there's some good stuff in there, and a lot of those pieces really will help people make the look they want... i thought about it for a while and really you might not be that far off numerically... the censored costumes would probably be in the 200s range, including GVs, but don't tell me that people don't whale on those. They're hardly the most expensive either since so many of them get pulled, but I mean, I'm not a whale.. and I don't really care for most of the slutwear, but I really just want faithful translations, and a stripper pole.....

but, you're right, you won't know what you're missing unless you already had it, and the reason I'm even hype for NA is it's a new server and we have a chance to bring the market inflation down a bit and fix what's wrong with the community, so I can hardly complain, but I swear to the Profound Darkness, if i hear Io-kohai say something cute, I'm gonna puke and then punch Stratos in the stomach.

Honestly tho, I think the new scratch is kinda trash but there's some good stuff in there, and a lot of those pieces really will help people make the look they want... i thought about it for a while and really you might not be that far off numerically... the censored costumes would probably be in the 200s range, including GVs, but don't tell me that people don't whale on those. They're hardly the most expensive either since so many of them get pulled, but I mean, I'm not a whale.. and I don't really care for most of the slutwear, but I really just want faithful translations, and a stripper pole.....

but, you're right, you won't know what you're missing unless you already had it, and the reason I'm even hype for NA is it's a new server and we have a chance to bring the market inflation down a bit and fix what's wrong with the community, so I can hardly complain, but I swear to the Profound Darkness, if i hear Io-kohai say something cute, I'm gonna puke and then punch Stratos in the stomach.

Well NA already has a plenty of whales (If the AC topic is anything to go by) so don't get your hopes up to much. I think most of the real marketing inflation will start happening once more people get to end game and learn what affixes they need. All the vets will be holding onto those to hold over the whales and drive the prices up on ships 1 and 2 like crazy.

But I have gone a bit off topic now, I'll stop here.

@The-Question Whales, man... NGL, that threads kind of sick but hey, to each their own... if you wanna spend 1k on a ftp vidya before any 'good' scratches come out, by all means, do it.. I went to Ship 1 to see if I can't get some of them to buy my affix tbh. It's really not hard or costly if you understand where/how to do the thing.. but now I'm thinking about making my alts on other ships and moving them all to the ship I like the best once it's time to play the long game.

The game is obviously going to do very well on start, censorship or not just by that thread alone. Shit, OBT may pay off the initial investment, HAHAHA. It's going to be a very interesting next few months and year watching our baby grow... Hopefully it doesn't take too many wrong turns.

@CodeBreaker-V1 said in Censoring in game ?:

If they censor the game it will fail .. this is the sad truth and my thoughts are if they a censoring something silly like height then what else are they going to censor? So much so phil Spencer saying we will be getting ALL the content..

@Princess-Catra said in Censoring in game ?:

. . . The people playing this are weebs who love this stuff.

@CodeBreaker-V1 said in Censoring in game ?:

. . .nothing more if you let them get away with this small censorship it will open the door to more silly censorship and then this ver of PSO2 will end up just like it's SEA counter part.

Let's be honest here. PSO2 is a nitch title in the west. Once most of the causals leave it will only be the core players left and I guarantee it will not be even remotely close to fill a ship up.. I see them cutting Ships in the future because of this fun fact..

@sKRuBbyD3KbruSh said in Censorship is NOT needed in this M rated game.:

But in all seriousness, do the right thing, and censor Episode 4 by deleting it. Then I might look past not being able to have that ridiculous chest piece. You know, THAT one.. Because I already know, because the translated title is wrong.. It isn't "Phantasy Star", it's "Dies in the West." This is not what Based Phil fought for. Don't make the divide between Japan and the West bigger, because let's face it, we're all weebs here. Who is anyone kidding? Just because this game is on the free-to-play page of the store doesn't make it right to cut up and distribute how you want, trust us, it's easy as hell to play on JP nowadays, and dude, most of us are ready to move on from that.

Just a couple of readily available examples of points 1) and 2), but I wasn't saying that your previous post reflected those two points, I meant that as "I'm all for fighting the censorship, but not those trying to claim points 1) and 2)" cause I do think censorship is unnecessary, but I'm not going to exaggerate to inflate my weak points.

Y'all are missing the point. If you're okay with censorship great, good for you, you don't have to post since you're okay with whatever you get since you don't know JP or don't care. FINE. That said, most people arguing here REALIZE this is the tip of the iceberg. People are going to post anti-censorship of any kind because we can see how this will go down.

Y'all are missing the point. If you're okay with censorship great, good for you, you don't have to post since you're okay with whatever you get since you don't know JP or don't care. FINE. That said, most people arguing here REALIZE this is the tip of the iceberg. People are going to post anti-censorship of any kind because we can see how this will go down. Localization teams across every game that come west from Japan consistently spend more time changing dialogue and costumes than being faithful to the originals and valuing the original dev's plot and dialogue. NA is going to get a watered down, half-baked, and uninspired server while JP gets two updates a month in an 8 year old game, maintenance every week with live bug fixes, and recently just had it's lifespan extended past 2020 into the 2024 range.. If you think NA is getting any of that kind of care at first, you are a fool. The game has to make money first proving that it's worth it to bring on a larger team and then map where it can go from there. NA wont get/launch with any licensed collab (which includes stages and bosses too), PSO2es, Idola, or any other companion app, so the advertising is going to be relatively low. They make these "censorship" changes so they can save face, but you have to know the difference between a good middle-ground and a quick fix. Banning and IP blocking players that break ToS is a much better solution than giving up what little content they have to work with. The game might be 70 GB, but it's all uncompressed files and audio/mov tracks. Content wise, PSO2 on JP has less or equal to the amount of content PSO: Blue Burst has.

You can say, we don't know, or who cares... but that's really nonconstructive and really nobody cares if that's all you have to say. JRPG fans know, because it happens to EVERY GAME that comes west in one form or another, and I understand that in some regions the issue is depictions of violence against children, so IT'S not even pedophilia that's the issue. It's politics.... I've already seen bad translations from CBT that were far from what the characters said in Japanese, and most of these revolved around younger looking characters and changed dark things they had gone thru into something completely irrelevant or some cutesy saying.. I don't mind the altered character height since I play a 191cm space elf, but to not want to voice an opinion against censorship allows companies to get complacent and rush shitty localizations. Nothing against MS, this is a general thing, and a lot of us hope companies actually start taking notes from MS because their localizations, while few, have been great. You still gotta throw a hissy fit, even if the normies call you pedo. Just respond with facts, because honestly, this was never about sexualizing children but violence against. Only people with serious mental issues can think about kids like that, and if you don't have the mental fortitude to not pay attention to something you don't like in an online game... Boy, IDK what to tell you... If it goes against ToS, by all means, report it..

but censorship is bad because we get characters saying dumb shit like "Tee Hee UGU" instead of the dark thing they initially said, and I'm sorry I can't remember exact examples because I blocked it out of my mind due to cringe-factor. There were 2 tho, I think it was Tea/Pati and Lisa.. and I just had to remind myself that it's just a game. M-rated game tho.

/Wall of text

EDIT: Do M-rated games show up on the store if you have parental controls enabled?

I unlike others actually read your wall post and I agree with you. Great post and great argument and it's true I noticed that in Closed beta but choose to ignore it. We will have to wait and see whay happens in full release at this point I'm sure the GM is taking notes on this topic and passing it along to the Powers that be.

That being said since when has it been ok about not getting a real full game experience? When I was younger we got full content on games not this appeasing everyone routine because of politics. If you felt some type of way you just didn't play the game it was that simple. Gaming companies need to stop appeasing the people who doesn't like their original design of the game. If you think playing a small character is "pedo" or shows a minor then that's a pretty perverse mind the person has. My characters on JP are small but they do not look like children that's for sure. Is there some who do it ofcourse there is but on JP I have never witnessed myself someone being disgusting in a sexual nature towards the characters. You do how ever see alot of disgusting SAs.. like over the top stuff but you get used to just blocking the person and moving on and in some cases reporting them. It's really that simple

@CodeBreaker-V1 Thank you for your time, lol. This has been my TED-talk, don't lewd lolis. They deserve head-pats from Guardian-kun. but for real, lolis deserve to exist. Just because you sexualize a little kid, doesn't mean the rest of us do. In the end it's an avatar wearing a costume. Grow up. I couldn't imagine getting this offending by something in-game and, say, not joining the police IRL and trying to capture them. You could also become a serial killer that specializes in torturing those kinds of people to death, but I digress... you should focus on your DPS skinner-box and stop causing drama.

@John-Paul-RAGE You're still out of touch, sorry. PSO2 isn't some huge game like Halo or CoD, and whatever preconceived ideas of what you think I've said are all in your head. It's starting to get kind of upsetting that you think I'm so bent out of shape over this when you turn around and honestly have nothing of value to add to the conversation besides saying my opinion is over-inflated. I'm not bent out of shape enough to not admit I was wrong about certain things but still want to discuss other points. I even have pointed people in the right direction due to various dis-infos that have popped up. I'm not going to play semantics with you any longer. You can choose to try and understand my points, or I won't respond to you any longer. My points are hardly weak, and I'm kind of over you telling people to take it easy, or that they're wrong, in multiple topics when you're just as uninformed/ignorant as they are about those things.

1.) Besides, more anime fans than normies will play PSO2. FACT. (PSO2 has two anime series, with one currently airing, and it's pretty good I might add.) (Don't watch the first one.)

2.) While slightly editing certain things may or may not affect their ability to sell, the idea that it's stupid to fight censorship early on because "we don't know what is censored yet" is horribly negligent. What are they going to do after they censor it, change it back? I think not. Things like that never work retrospectively. Honestly, if they want to create an environment that's more inclusive to women, then I can understand them being leery about some of the sluttier costumes in-game, but I also know women that will scratch for them, lol.

Here's another hot take, what I said was totally justified and if you don't understand the track record of these games getting slaughtered and left for dead then you need to understand that a lot of us are getting really big red flags with the announcements having nothing to do with server info or how things are going with dev times, but just click-bait because sorry pso2 media team, that's all they are. Frustrating clickbait.. I'm not saying that the media team should be releasing insider knowledge but the carrot on a stick isn't going to keep itself relevant for much longer, and with nobody releasing statements on censorship or even what they want for PSO2, it pretty much all but confirms that they're just copy pasting over JP source code, and are even having a hard time with it... I get that you guys are building the cross-play between Xbox-PC, but with the game this close to coming out we should be seeing official videos and more than just, "ahhh Naverious.. home." It seriously is kind of weirding us out. I wish you'd at least tell us how the build is going....

The games got a mature rating. PSO-fans are mature in more than one sense of the word, now. We can act very childish since we've never been treated fairly by Sega so we thought MS would step it up and it's too soon to say abandon ship but really, there's a lot they aren't telling us and it's never a good thing to let your hype die down, because you'll never get it back..

@Toy-Soldier-Ken said in Censoring in game ?:

Yes, we know a lot of adult males want to run around with female teenager looking characters dressed sexy. Not sure why there is that kind of obsession, but hmmm ok.

Not sure about the sexy part but the reason I want to make a loli female character is because I find it humorous when you just see this tiny female use the weapon two to three times their size it looks funny to me

@sKRuBbyD3KbruSh So some things I have to correct here and there that might explain why things are the way they are...

Microsoft nor SEGA of America running PSO2 NA.... anything relating to source code; whether it be porting the game to Xbox One, implementing the language options, implementing the localized game files, or even doing censorship are all done by the original dev team who also work on developing updates for the JP version. In regards to running the game servers and pushing out updates, that will all be done by SEGA of Japan themselves from the look of things. Localization and Community Management (which includes GMs and the people running the social media) have all been outsourced and answer directly to SEGA of Japan. Microsoft's role in all this is very minimal...

Whatever red flags, while justifiable and certainly not misplaced, are based on experiences with different circumstances. As a result, I would avoid making any judgement on the game's fate based on them. With this new-found knowledge, think about why we haven't gotten more just yet...

@Leonkh99 what about the Azure servers? Is Microsoft licensing the use or are they maintaining it to some degree?