Censoring in game ?

@CFR said in Censoring in game ?:

@GamerKillance said in Censoring in game ?:

People literally make them look as young and as small as possible.

Again, a small person doesn't automatically make them young. A person with a young appearance isn't always as young as they look. I know many people who even now look like they're in high school well into their 30's and even I looked about 16 until my mid 20's. You can't assume someone's age based on appearance. The only one here I see making the characters out to be children is you. There's no way to make them look any older or younger. The face is just the same face no matter what.

And yes, that does mean that characters that look young but are 1000 years old, really are just young looking old people. More importantly, they're not real. None of this is real, so don't get offended, and just ignore it if it bothers you so much.

And there lies the problem.

"Ignore it"

Ignoring is the same as saying it doesn't exist or at least pretending it doesn't. That doesn't address any issues regardless of the side you're on. If people don't bump heads then we end up with a hivemind with an awful echo chamber.

Clearly things aren't fine when cultures are so vastly different. This is why localization exist.

@GamerKillance I think the issues lie with the individual users to a large extent. If you happen upon a small character whose user acts like an adult, you will perceive them as such.

If the small character's user intentionally acts like a minor, they will be perceived as that.

As long as impersonating a minor is a punishable offense, the community will be able to mitigate those instances.

@CFR said in Censoring in game ?:

People literally make them look as young and as small as possible.

Again, a small person doesn't automatically make them young. A person with a young appearance isn't always as young as they look. I know many people who even now look like they're in high school well into their 30's and even I looked about 16 until my mid 20's. You can't assume someone's age based on appearance. The only one here I see making the characters out to be children is you. There's no way to make them look any older or younger. The face is just the same face no matter what.

And yes, that does mean that characters that look young but are 1000 years old, really are just young looking old people. More importantly, they're not real. None of this is real, so don't get offended, and just ignore it if it bothers you so much.

The problem with your mindset here, which is basically just "lol shut up and ignore it" is that it goes both ways. You can't really just tell someone their concerns aren't valid and not expect to be told the same. In this case, it's a height slider. If it bothers you that much, just ignore it. You should be able to make a better case than "I'm right, and if you disagree, shut up."

I think the main thing here is one person is implying a short character is regarded as being treated sexual mostly cause its cause its from japan. While i know some odd rings out there exist and probably do that to some characters its a wide net to cast. As for the culture diffrence yes there is that but at the same token there are thousands of american players and other regions outside japan that play on the jp servers and to my knowledge on the many pso related forums from sega to pso world no one has every brought up the issue regarding the height thing or the "crazies" into that stuff. Though when it came stateside after 8 years suddenly its a huge shock that short characters are in a game heavily influenced in the styling of anime. But again my character is a tall cast with giant drills for kneecaps so i can knees tiny creatures in the game trying to bite my kneecaps

@Meta77 said in Censoring in game ?:

I think the main thing here is one person is implying a short character is regarded as being treated sexual mostly cause its cause its from japan. While i know some odd rings out there exist and probably do that to some characters its a wide net to cast. As for the culture diffrence yes there is that but at the same token there are thousands of american players and other regions outside japan that play on the jp servers and to my knowledge on the many pso related forums from sega to pso world no one has every brought up the issue regarding the height thing or the "crazies" into that stuff. Though when it came stateside after 8 years suddenly its a huge shock that short characters are in a game heavily influenced in the styling of anime. But again my character is a tall cast with giant drills for kneecaps so i can knees tiny creatures in the game trying to bite my kneecaps

I think if height hadn't been limited in the first place. Over half this topic wouldn't exist. No one would have batted an eye at it. But now we'll never know.

Clearly things aren't fine when cultures are so vastly different. This is why localization exist.

If you're saying that Japanese culture is the problem, then there's no point in bringing a game rooted in it over to the west. Using localization as a guise to get rid of the stuff you find offensive is just censorship.

I am curious though, how short is too short for you? The minimum height in the NA version right now is 153 cm. That's just slightly over 60 inches (5 feet). Back when I was in middle school, most of my peers were at or above 5 feet in height with few exceptions. Is it okay for people to be as tall as a 12 year old, or would you prefer the mimimum be increased even further to 163cm (64 inches), which is the average height for adult women in the US.

@Gynaenaecology said in Censoring in game ?:

The problem with your mindset here, which is basically just "lol shut up and ignore it" is that it goes both ways. You can't really just tell someone their concerns aren't valid and not expect to be told the same. In this case, it's a height slider. If it bothers you that much, just ignore it. You should be able to make a better case than "I'm right, and if you disagree, shut up."

I'm not saying that their opinion doesn't matter. It does, and I disagree with it, but also I don't think that saying to ignore it suddenly means they should shut up. Why is that automatically where you go to? Maybe I should rephrase the statement from "ignore it" to "you shouldn't consider every short character you see to be a child." Which is what I actually mean to say.

As for your sentiment that if the height slider bothers me that much I should ignore it, I'll just say that I have no issues with the height slider as it is in the Japanese version, and the NA version. It doesn't bother me either way since it doesn't concern me personally.

@Akakomuma said in Censoring in game ?:

PSU you could make your character small. I don't see the harm.

But did they release thong level bikini's that barely cover bottom AND top? That is the issue regarding height. Have that on child like characters and a quick way to get a bad rep.

Hasn't got a bad rep in japan. Not saying i do that to my characters but no one till the beta has ever brought it up

Are we in Japan, though?

@Rantious said in Censoring in game ?:

But did they release thong level bikini's that barely cover bottom AND top? That is the issue regarding height. Have that on child like characters and a quick way to get a bad rep.

Hasn't got a bad rep in japan. Not saying i do that to my characters but no one till the beta has ever brought it up

Are we in Japan, though?

I am.

@The-Question said in Censoring in game ?:

Are we in Japan, though?

I am.

Let me clarify, is this release for a Japanese audience?

Are we in Japan, though?

I am.

Let me clarify, is this release for a Japanese audience?

It's not. It's for the Western audiences so that want to play the game.

I think if height hadn't been limited in the first place. Over half this topic wouldn't exist. No one would have batted an eye at it. But now we'll never know.

Pretty much 🦆

@The-Question then I'm not entirely sure there's an issue with making a change like this. Plus PSO2 would certainly not be the first game to avoid depictions of violence against characters that could be considered children. Take Fallout 3 and Little Lamplight for example.

To all those complaining about height censoring - were you in control, what should the minimum height be? And why is that height OK? I posit that you're unable to give me a solid reason why limit on height at all should not go to zero without some arbitrary threshold criteria.

100%. Had they not pre-censored something as ridiculous as height almost none of this censor talk would currently exist. At least not until the rest of the game opens up in open beta/release when it's very likely to find the smart inner and/or outfits gutted. Who knows, maybe the height censor which I'm vehemently against is for the sole purpose of allowing everything else to remain untouched. I doubt it, but this is a prime example of why it's important for a company to explain what's changing and why.

To all those complaining about height censoring - were you in control, what should the minimum height be? And why is that height OK? I posit that you're unable to give me a solid reason why limit on height at all should not go to zero without some arbitrary threshold criteria.

I already made a suggestion post and my thoughts on the whole height thing. I just think it should just be left as is. As somone who is small I like to play my main as a small representation of myself. But since I already have it on JP I'm not overly worried myself about it on here.