ARKS LAYER DID WHAT I WAS TRYING TO DO
download the tweaker, and go trhough the setup process it guides you through AFTER you have installed the game through the Microsoft Store
everything below this line is for only for your own curiosity, the arks-layer fix is highly recommended, as well as the launcher skip workaround for reducing lobby lag.
I have a breakthrough on this issue.
I was able to obtain ownership of the folder shown above. - and then boot the game up, but i still have to redownload all of the previously downloaded files. my hypothesis is that if a user is able to have ownership over all 3 file locations you should hypothetically be able to boot the game without needing to reinstall.
I have a bundle of powershell scripts that I am working on that should allow users to regain control of all of the three file folder locations and boot the game without reinstalling completely. i was able to boot the game after rebooting with the first part of the bundle (out of 3) but i am working on testing the other two and figuring out how to bundle them all together. (i have never written anything in powershell before)
If this works - Microsoft/SEGA i expect a check in the mail for $100'000 - and thats not a joke, you can choose not to pay up but that would be pretty lame
I will update this post when i have further developments.
I have figured out the main issues so far. They are as follows
- when the game is installed and run - the owner of most of the files are set to either trusted installer or unknown
- when you restart your computer something happens with the ownership of those folders and they either autodelete like mine did or they stay there like some users have been reporting
as of right now you can obtain ownership to 'Users' for 2/3 of the folder locations.
- C:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps - contains the bulk of the install - the bit that constantly wants to be reinstalled when you reboot - you can set ownership through the GUI for USERS on this one
- C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\100B7A24.oxyna_184.108.40.206_x64__wyfsmff9ynw7j\ contains the launcher. it appears you cannot launch without permissions/ownership - so far i have been unable to obtain ownership through the GUI the first part of my script fixes this by giving you ownership regardless - i am still working on the rest
- C:\Program Files\WindoesApps\Mutable\100B7A24.oxyna_220.127.116.11_x64__wyfsmff9ynw7j\ - I am not sure what this does, but you can and should obtain ownership through the GUI
so as it stands now you cannot gain ownership of all 3 file locations just yet without my first part of the script. Let me work on it some more and I will post it in the next update.
I cannot seem to get it to work completely. I am being blocked with folders not allowing you to change the permissions at all. I am looking for some form of powershell command to superced the OS itself, which is proving to be difficult, I am starting to think that getting it to run again was a fluke
so I am going to take a break and get something to eat.
while I am gone feel free to try to fix it on your own
you need ownership/permissions
to the three folders and files within listed above.
I may not get to fix this tonight. I have been working on it for 6 hours or so now, and could only get the launcher to work after reboot a handfull of times. So far when the launcher shows back up after reboot, ive gotten the file checker to check the files and not have to download, however you still have to run the check file process.... which can take a while on a lower end machine. this is not idea. i need to get it to just boot like normal. but it seems like every time i reboot it just gets harder and harder to get permissions on the files.