FIX: Working on creating a bundle of powershell scripts to enable players to play the game after restarting PC

final update:

ARKS LAYER DID WHAT I WAS TRYING TO DO

https://na.arks-layer.com/

download the tweaker, and go trhough the setup process it guides you through AFTER you have installed the game through the Microsoft Store

everything below this line is for only for your own curiosity, the arks-layer fix is highly recommended, as well as the launcher skip workaround for reducing lobby lag.

alt text

I have a breakthrough on this issue.

I was able to obtain ownership of the folder shown above. - and then boot the game up, but i still have to redownload all of the previously downloaded files. my hypothesis is that if a user is able to have ownership over all 3 file locations you should hypothetically be able to boot the game without needing to reinstall.

I have a bundle of powershell scripts that I am working on that should allow users to regain control of all of the three file folder locations and boot the game without reinstalling completely. i was able to boot the game after rebooting with the first part of the bundle (out of 3) but i am working on testing the other two and figuring out how to bundle them all together. (i have never written anything in powershell before)

If this works - Microsoft/SEGA i expect a check in the mail for $100'000 - and thats not a joke, you can choose not to pay up but that would be pretty lame

I will update this post when i have further developments.

UPDATE:

I have figured out the main issues so far. They are as follows

• when the game is installed and run - the owner of most of the files are set to either trusted installer or unknown
  • when you restart your computer something happens with the ownership of those folders and they either autodelete like mine did or they stay there like some users have been reporting

as of right now you can obtain ownership to 'Users' for 2/3 of the folder locations.

• C:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps - contains the bulk of the install - the bit that constantly wants to be reinstalled when you reboot - you can set ownership through the GUI for USERS on this one
  • C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\100B7A24.oxyna_1.0.7.0_x64__wyfsmff9ynw7j\ contains the launcher. it appears you cannot launch without permissions/ownership - so far i have been unable to obtain ownership through the GUI the first part of my script fixes this by giving you ownership regardless - i am still working on the rest
  • C:\Program Files\WindoesApps\Mutable\100B7A24.oxyna_1.0.7.0_x64__wyfsmff9ynw7j\ - I am not sure what this does, but you can and should obtain ownership through the GUI

so as it stands now you cannot gain ownership of all 3 file locations just yet without my first part of the script. Let me work on it some more and I will post it in the next update.

Update2:

I cannot seem to get it to work completely. I am being blocked with folders not allowing you to change the permissions at all. I am looking for some form of powershell command to superced the OS itself, which is proving to be difficult, I am starting to think that getting it to run again was a fluke

so I am going to take a break and get something to eat.

while I am gone feel free to try to fix it on your own

you need ownership/permissions

to the three folders and files within listed above.

I may not get to fix this tonight. I have been working on it for 6 hours or so now, and could only get the launcher to work after reboot a handfull of times. So far when the launcher shows back up after reboot, ive gotten the file checker to check the files and not have to download, however you still have to run the check file process.... which can take a while on a lower end machine. this is not idea. i need to get it to just boot like normal. but it seems like every time i reboot it just gets harder and harder to get permissions on the files.

Keep this thread bumped. Appreciate any updates on this and wish for your success.

I tried this route also but I don't know the 3 locations. I do know one is a "hidden" folder called WindowsApps. I was able to take control of that one but not sure where the other 2 are. I'm having an issue where GameGuard gives a list of files but doesn't disclose the error. All of the files reside within WindowsApps\Mutable\ and then something similar to the path above.

@ZOMBIE-CORPSE-7 said in FIX: Working on creating a bundle of powershell scripts to enable players to play the game after restarting PC:

I tried this route also but I don't know the 3 locations. I do know one is a "hidden" folder called WindowsApps. I was able to take control of that one but not sure where the other 2 are. I'm having an issue where GameGuard gives a list of files but doesn't disclose the error. All of the files reside within WindowsApps\Mutable\ and then something similar to the path above.

these are the 3 i have so far.... there might be more. i am looking into where exactly the files are downloaded to first. I am having issues determining which of the 3 locations actually contains the patcher downloads

$drive = Read-Host -Prompt 'input your drive letter - USE CAPS - this is for where pso2 is installed via windows'
$path = $drive+":\Program Files\WindowsApps\100B7A24.oxyna_1.0.7.0_x64__wyfsmff9ynw7j\"
$path2 = $drive+":\Program Files\WindowsApps\Mutable\100B7A24.oxyna_1.0.7.0_x64__wyfsmff9ynw7j\"
$path3 = $drive+":\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps\pso2_bin"

the top location is nearly impossibe to take ownership of. i had to get a custom powershell function involved to even get it to do anything. and even then the recursive function i used gave me about 1000 warns about not being able to take ownership of the files inside of the folder... at least recursively, thats where I am stuck on that issue right now.

maybe something like this:

TAKEOWN /F "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps" /R /D Y

I still feel silly working this hard to try to play something that should work out of the box but will keep posting my efforts here in hopes that it will help others

These are the GG errors I'm getting:

event.erv

1npggl.erl

0npgmup

0npgl.erl

0npgg.erl

TAKEOWN does not work @ZOMBIE-CORPSE-7 I am using Set-Owner it has a few things in it that differentiate from TAKEOWN from what I am seeing/reading. its a long shot but it might work.

Update: I have figured out that the bulk of the install is contained in

C:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps\pso2_bin

this is going to be the biggest stopper I feel. I have already gotten the launcher to boot up again like i said but... im pretty scared about rebooting after redownloading the entire game for the 6th time.... but I want to figure this out for you guys. here goes nothing. wish me luck. cross your fingers.... etc. I am writing down steps to reproduce what I have so far and then taking the plunge

@ScraggYT LOL can't get the game to download now. Getting an error 0x80070003 at full download and it won't complete.

thats not the issue I am trying to fix XD @ZOMBIE-CORPSE-7

@ScraggYT said in FIX: Working on creating a bundle of powershell scripts to enable players to play the game after restarting PC:

TAKEOWN does not work @ZOMBIE-CORPSE-7 I am using Set-Owner it has a few things in it that differentiate from TAKEOWN from what I am seeing/reading. its a long shot but it might work.

Update: I have figured out that the bulk of the install is contained in

C:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps\pso2_bin

this is going to be the biggest stopper I feel. I have already gotten the launcher to boot up again like i said but... im pretty scared about rebooting after redownloading the entire game for the 6th time.... but I want to figure this out for you guys. here goes nothing. wish me luck. cross your fingers.... etc. I am writing down steps to reproduce what I have so far and then taking the plunge

Godspeed. If in theory your method works, you could potentially have a standalone launcher setup or at the very least, a backup.

@Eye-ce it looks like from what I have found that they modified the launcher itself to use variables set/recorded to a file by windows when you install/login to the microsoft store???? so i probably wont be able to piece together a standalone launcher anytime soon. my hope is that i can get a fix good enough to keep people going until they have an official fix... and receive a reward of monetary value for my efforts hahaha (Microsoft i again am not joking)

ok restarting. if i did everything right i should be able to boot the game as normal. - and then finish the script to distribute

f i didnt well.... guess ill be redownloading 60gb again.

If you run "Check File" from the installer, it seems to recheck that directory "C:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps\pso2_bin" couldn't you just backup the files to an external drive before trying your script? At least you'd avoid the 60Gb redownload....

@Taishi-kun i could have. but it worked!, so i am working on making the script usable by the average user!

if this works do i need to install powershell or is it installed as default ?