Better Anti-Aliasing?

hello. the in-game option appears to be FXAA, which looks so terrible. i mean atrocious, and in a bad way. not only does it NOT apply any AA worth a squat, but makes the game blurry. seems poorly implemented, even though it IS implemented at the software level.

i have tried some guides around the internet and tried several Nvidia Profile Inspector profiles and settings, tried doing some things of my own too. and have tried reshade and SweetFX...

nothing works! nothing at all applies any anti-aliasing at all. only anti-aliasing that seems to work any at all is the in-game option, which looks terrible. no matter what i try with nvidiaprofileinspector, AA flat out refuses to work.

anyone got a good way to get some decent AA in this game?

okay! i wasn't able to get any decent AA applied, but did manage make the game look much better.

i had to disable DPI scaling from the desktop settings. it isn't possible to disable this for MSStore apps. normally you can goto the properties page of an exe and apply the compatibility setting to Application to disable DPI scaling, but this doesn't do anything for MSStore apps. even if you take permissions and other stuff. it just never works.

at any rate, i would still be interested in trying to get better AA for this game. i followed every guide i can find, and can't get ANY results what-so-ever. anyone got any ideas? running a GTX 1070 Ti.

anyone?

If you still havent gotten it to work, you add pso2 in 3d settings on nvidia control panel, when you do that itll be called something like 100b7a24 on nvidia inspector, then you can add your compatibility bits and it works. Dont do CSAA or your comp will crash bc they apparently took that out.

i have already tried this method too. there are multiple entries, and i have tried them all. and have also tried manually adding. in all cases, NVCPL just shows an error about file not found. sadly, it isn't entirely possible to add a MSStore app to NVCPL. you have to change the permissions to do this, but that induces auto-repairs on the game with every 3rd launch attempt.

after downloading some games through the Xbox app on PC, games i already own through like STEAM or Epic Games. so, games i know with 100% certainty that is possible to override AA settings on. none of them from the MSStore will allow me to set AA. while the same games through STEAM or Epic work just fine with NVCPL/NvidiaProfileInspector.

just yet another one of the 99 problems from MSStore.

oh wells. thank you for your response. i guess we can just wrap this one up. anyways, thanks a ton.

in the end is no worries. ever since fixing the DPI scaling issue, the FXAA has become much more tolerable. maybe in the future if they release to STEAM.

Man! I really wish there was more freedom to play with the graphical settings in this client version, like you could on JP servers.

Need to really smooth those jaggies, tried a lot of different things on injector to no avail... but oh well.

ReShade works wonders with SMAA

Annotation 2020-06-17 203135.png

thing is, reshade can't work without changing the permissions. it just tells me the error at the top about access being limited and settings won't save. so, like this it also won't load your config from the file in there. so, you have to configure on every launch. and the error doesn't go away until you change permissions, but it still doesn't fix being unable to load your config. because the moment you press home to open the reshade menu, the error pops up again. and that is with full permissions too.

the only way i have ever been able to use reshade is to disable UAC. but that is no longer an option... what with developers now making their software you can't use with UAC disabled. PC has gone so far downhill... can barely do squat these days. lol

have yet to have an issue with permissions on w10 but if ur willing to swap to the pso2 tweaker i believe it fixed all those pesky issues and more. Only possible issue is u have to re-download the whole game during the setup

link to the guide if interested: https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/gv3pdg/new_tweaker_will_fix_all_your_issues_and_not_have/

cant link the tweaker website due to forum rules but should be an easy search

i honestly don't much recommend anyone using PSO2Tweaker. for me, it creates more issues than it solves. changing the permissions is actually what causes some issues. some people can solve issues with this, while others it is inducing issues. i tried deleting the game and only download with PSO2Tweaker. not only is it like 10times slower, but the finished download doesn't even launch. ( people saying is slow download through the launcher, but seems fine to me. utilizes all 200MB of my advertised bandwidth. )

also, PSO2Tweaker makes undocumented changes. 2 of the changes i managed to figure out pretty easily. that is the permissions change and the file rename operation. but there are 2 or 3 other operations being performed that don't seem to be documented anywhere.

overall, i would rather see the people behind this to have released a full written guide to do everything manually. it would be better than downloading unknown software that makes unknown changes.

last time i trusted a program like this, BnSBuddy, was a huge mistake. thankfully, nothing bad happened to the OS/system when using PSO2Tweaker. PSO2Tweaker seems safe.

~

~

~

all-in-all, i was one of those fortunate few who didn't have issue with the MSStore and game. aside from the lobby lag, which they have already solved. so for those of anyone who didn't have any initial issues, PSO2Tweaker seems to do more bad than good.

well, just my experience.

@BLaCKnBLu3B3RRY Ive used the tweaker many times for years now its never broken anything or added any bugs / instability to the JP client and thus far no problems on NA ether. Thats kinda why i recommend it as is always been nothing but helpful. If im being honest you are the first person i seen mention that it crates problems.

" i would rather see the people behind this to have released a full written guide to do everything manually"

They have a github page on the windows store fix tho not sure how helpful that would be.

Yeah, I've had no issues with the Tweaker myself... with neither the JP client nor the NA client now.

But I'm above average when it comes to tech savvynesss... They do have to update & move the instructions of the 'developer mode' bit to the beginning of their guide as their current launcher installer requires you to do it from the beginning to proceed... which their written guide does not reflect. Also... whenever you install tweaker, you cannot have any installed Windows 10 Store version & MUST do the Windows Store fix step (DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP) to connect the Tweaker with the Store. Keep those things in mind... and it's VERY simple & straight forward.

But going back to the graphical options... specifically anti-aliasing. You don't seem to have almost an freedom or as much freedom as the JP client. Cannot make the game look as nice & smooth as the JP client... no matter what you do. Maybe when the Steam version comes out... or someone figures out to force some settings we'll see how nice it can look like the JP client. The Reshader can only do so much... I've tried a lot of options for the past few hours.

Aliasing seems very hard to eliminate in this client... Especially for the hair while looking sharp at the same time.

Nvidia Inspector seemed like a big ticket for these changes for the JP client... but it doesn't work nearly the same or even close to what you could achieve in the JP client.

well, as pointed out. it was the permissions change causing an issue. but even if i did things the alternate way as suggested by a guide on how to download the game with the proper permissions, the changed permissions is always an issue.

eventually, on every 3rd launch of the app shortcut, the system would initiate the "Repair" function you can find through "App settings" from the OS.

in the end i gave up on trying to change permissions.

~

~

i don't mean to say that PSO2Tweaker is bad. and it certainly doesn't seem to cause any harm to the OS. but personally? i know how these programs can be dangerous. and in the end, it hasn't helped to solve anything for me.

~

not that it matters! the only use for it was trying to fix the lobby lag issue. SEGA seems to have fixed that just fine sometime recently.

~

~

~

but regardless, this whole thing is derailed from the graphics thing about AA! LOL!

@Kaneco said in Better Anti-Aliasing?:

But going back to the graphical options... specifically anti-aliasing. You don't seem to have almost an freedom or as much freedom as the JP client. Cannot make the game look as nice & smooth as the JP client... no matter what you do. Maybe when the Steam version comes out... or someone figures out to force some settings we'll see how nice it can look like the JP client. The Reshader can only do so much... I've tried a lot of options for the past few hours.

Aliasing seems very hard to eliminate in this client... Especially for the hair while looking sharp at the same time.

Nvidia Inspector seemed like a big ticket for these changes for the JP client... but it doesn't work nearly the same or even close to what you could achieve in the JP client.

honestly... we appear to be using the JP client. it APPEARS the data downloaded from the MSStore is all the NA base assets. then launcher downloads the JP base client plus patch/update data.

if you use Repair on your app install, it moves to the MutableBackup folder. if you try to launch from there, the launcher is in Japanese. i don't recommend using Repair function. it will take ages to complete.

~

~

~

at any rate... as far as reshade goes, i found the lumasharpen filter to work really well with games that use FXAA. that is, for games that reshade will actually work on for me. lumasharpen all but eliminates any blur made from FXAA. i forget my configuration for it, but default wasn't that great for me.

one thing to keep in mind about PSO2, is your desktop DPI scaling. if using anything other then 100%, this impacts the game. either got to set DPI to 100% or launch the game in fullscreen by changing the settings through a config file in Documents/SEGA.

sadly, i also haven't been able to get any AA working from the driver level either. however, AF does work. so, that is nice.

@BLaCKnBLu3B3RRY Wasn't just for the lag issue but also the game nuking itself off the drive / not wanting to start, the permission problems and some other stuff i did not bother reading on since i only had problems in the lobby loading avatars.

True it did go on a slight detour but still somewhat related to the AA.

update: the game not wanting to start still seems to be an issue hopefully its fully fixed by next patch