Naming terms of Stats/Attributes

Oh, another one I find confusing. When trying to hide your unit appearance. Instead of just being “hide” it’s “engage stealth”

@hAZE-1561 said in Naming terms of Stats/Attributes:

Oh, another one I find confusing. When trying to hide your unit appearance. Instead of just being “hide” it’s “engage stealth”

Thats funny lol. New players are gonna be like "Wow we can cloak ourself like WarFrame."

I also agree STK is better than MEL

MEL is a bad choice for the melee stat. I've never seen melee abbreviated like that, and it just looks odd.

RNG has always been an abbreviation for Range in my mind, so I'm cool with that.

TEC is fine too since it's just Tech without the H, and the H it's practically silent anyway.

I don't see why S-Atk, R-Atk, etc. aren't good enough.

What I have I bigger issue with is the use of Pwr, instead of Atk. Most games refer to attack stats with ATK, not PWR, so this its kind of weird seeing it that way. If you're set on using Power, use POW instead of PWR.

The biggest issue people will run into soon will be looking up guides or builds that are going to use terminology from the translated version. As the NA version takes off, it's terminology will make it's way into the wild, though there are many veterans of the Japanese version who will likely never use those terms.

I am OK with their choices to change it, honestly. My wife didn't have an issue understanding wHAT MEL, RNG, TEC and all that stuff meant (first PSO game she has played).

All the core stuff has the old school terminology, so they can change whatever else they want and it wont bother me. (I was fearful of monomates bring called potions)

@CFR I'm a Jp Vet and i know im not gonna use it. Just gonna stick to S/R/T-Atk/Def instead.

I'm gonna use the dub terms just to not confuse people who aren't familiar with the Arks Layer terminology.

I've been trying to think of a good alternative to MEL Pwr, but I can't think of anything other than Striking. But even then, STR is strength, STK reminds me too much of Stack... If they're dead-set on using Melee Power, I think M-Pwr would be fine. M could mean Magic, but the game already has another term for magic, so that's doable.

But also they have other more important translation issues than the stat names right now, that I hope they're working on.

@Seedenator said in Naming terms of Stats/Attributes:

So, if you got all three ryoku things listed, then the same three words with something like Kyōka (thanks google) or whatever

Then people wouldn't get confused by English words/abbreviations

Google tells me that striking shooting and technical would be the following, for "power"

Dageki-ryoku, shageki-ryoku, gijutsu-ryoku

So whatever words they actually used are probably better, but an abbreviation like:

Da-R, Sha-R, and Gij-R, with Da-K, Sha-K, Gij-K for defense.

Then folks just memorize, instead of mis-remember what English MEL is.

Sorry, but this is an incredibly bad idea.

The names they went with are fine. Not what I'd prefer, but they're fine.

Fun Fact: The DEX stat is really something closer to "ability" (too confusing with abilities affixed to weapons/units) or "capability" (confusing when abbreviated). When we were originally making the fanslation patch, I really wanted to call the stat "knack" (NAK) for the dumb PSO reference. I wasn't allowed to have my way.

@ChainLis said in Naming terms of Stats/Attributes:

@hAZE-1561 said in Naming terms of Stats/Attributes:

Thats funny lol. New players are gonna be like "Wow we can cloak ourself like WarFrame."

DID YOU REALLY BELIEVE IT WOULD BE THIS EASY?!

@xMIGHTYx said in Naming terms of Stats/Attributes:

I also agree STeaK is better than MEL

I’m wondering if the devs will read this post and take a look at some of their translations.

The term “auxiliaries” and the “auxiliary console” for the partner system are very off putting as well. That’s the one I was trying to think of earlier in the post.

@hAZE-1561 So they named the Partner Console to Auxiliary Console? Well, the definition of Auxiliary is a person or thing providing supplementary or additional help and support. Shouldn't be that much of a problem.

@ChainLis

I didn’t say they were wrong with the translation. I said the term is off putting. Like many others in the game. Something like “partner” is far better and easier for people to comprehend quickly.

@hAZE-1561 I didn't happen to look during the CBT, but did the leave the NPCs as "Partners"?

If so, it may explain changing the companion thingy to Auxiliary unit to avoid the confusion of newer players to the series.

S-atk makes more sense to me. Or if it was STR or something.