Naming terms of Stats/Attributes

I don't know about these Stats Terms. It just feels off. The Jp ver is named Strike Power (打撃力) or Strike for short and the PSO2 Fan Translator team named it S-Atk. But MEL just don't look not right. RNG and TEC I'm kinda okay with it. Its just MEL that just dont sit right with me.

What do you guys think about it?

MEL = Melee abbreviated.

@oldColdReactive said in Naming terms of Stats/Attributes:

MEL = Melee abbreviated.

I know what it mean but just donit feel right.

I'm fine with Mel but Rng is just too meme-able since it also stands for "Random Number Generator"

I'd suggest the Localization team to instead go for M-Pwr, R-Pwr, T-Pwr, M-Def, R-Def, T-Def

I get why they got rid of the word "Strike" it's kinda generic and too broad.

The problem with using M-Anything might take it as Magic.

@oldColdReactive said in Naming terms of Stats/Attributes:

The problem with using M-Anything might take it as Magic.

True, I haven't thought about that.

I much prefer striking as a term for striking attacks instead of melee, and they could use a abbreviation like STR, SRK or STK.

@ChainLis I agree. MEL isn't suitable. Sounds weird. Instead of MEL it should be STR that way it looks "right" and fits well with the others.

@Harriet said in Naming terms of Stats/Attributes:

@ChainLis I agree. MEL isn't suitable. Sounds weird. Instead of MEL it should be STR that way it looks "right" and fits well with the others.

Agree with the STR.

There are many names I found myself pondering, one that really stood out was the character you create to do the quests for you. I cannot remember the name of the platform or what they called them. But it was very odd.

Then again, the problem with STR is that "Strength" is the first thing that comes to my mind, not Strike. Which wouldn't be a big issue if it weren't for all those attacks that use that stat but have nothing to do with strength. Example nr. 1 the skill that gives Force Rod attacks a projectile.

@Cathy said in Naming terms of Stats/Attributes:

I'm fine with Mel but Rng is just too meme-able since it also stands for "Random Number Generator"

I'd suggest the Localization team to instead go for M-Pwr, R-Pwr, T-Pwr, M-Def, R-Def, T-Def

I get why they got rid of the word "Strike" it's kinda generic and too broad.

Ah yea, the good old RNG term for Random Number Generator i totally forgot about that. I kinda cringe as to why they chose MEL over anything. I'd say generic is probably better than using MEL.

@Harriet said in Naming terms of Stats/Attributes:

I also agree too but the thing is Striking just felt right. In PSU the category for Sword is Striking Type so it would only make sense for the term to be S-atk, or S-pwr.

Seems like the romanji version of whatever they use in Japan would work as well, and possibly be less confusing die to it's "alien" nature, to native English speakers. (i.e. obviously not some other english word)

@Seedenator said in Naming terms of Stats/Attributes:

Seems like the romanji version of whatever they use in Japan would work as well, and possibly be less confusing die to it's "alien" nature, to native English speakers. (i.e. obviously not some other english word)

If you break down 打撃力 (Dageki-ryoku) the first 2 character 打撃 means Blow, Shock, Strike and Damage. 力 (ryoku) means Power like how much force or strength its got. putting it together it means Hitting force or Striking force.

So, if you got all three ryoku things listed, then the same three words with something like Kyōka (thanks google) or whatever

Then people wouldn't get confused by English words/abbreviations

Google tells me that striking shooting and technical would be the following, for "power"

Dageki-ryoku, shageki-ryoku, gijutsu-ryoku

So whatever words they actually used are probably better, but an abbreviation like:

Da-R, Sha-R, and Gij-R, with Da-K, Sha-K, Gij-K for defense.

Then folks just memorize, instead of mis-remember what English MEL is.

@Seedenator said in Naming terms of Stats/Attributes:

So, if you got all three ryoku things listed, then the same three words with something like Kyōka (thanks google) or whatever

Then people wouldn't get confused by English words/abbreviations

Google tells me that striking shooting and technical would be the following, for "power"

Dageki-ryoku, shageki-ryoku, gijutsu-ryoku

So whatever words they actually used are probably better, but an abbreviation like:

Da-R, Sha-R, and Gij-R, with Da-K, Sha-K, Gij-K for defense.

Then folks just memorize, instead of mis-remember what English MEL is.

This tells you that the Fan PSO2Translator Team knows what they're doing in translating the Eng Patch on the JP server.