You have to run the game on PC from the microsoft store if the start menu / taskbar icon doesn' t work.

Just wanted to share this as I sat through 3 installs after attempting to repair corrupted the whole game. Just type "store" n the search bar and open the game from the "PLAY" button off the MS store. This is a workaround for those of you finding that the game won't start up after you've played it once and restarted your PC.

edit: Eventually it once again stopped working and tried to re download itself again. I've deleted everything now and will wait for a proper install option. I will add that if you are going into the windowsapp folder to find the mutablebackup folder and delete it, make sure you don't change ownership of all subfolders in the windowsapp folder as I did. It wont cause problems immediately but can lead to security vulnerabilities in the future. You only need to change ownership of the windowsapp folder so you can get inside, then change ownership of the mutablebackup folder and all of its sub contents. This will allow you to delete the multiple installs of the game and free up HDD space. You might need to restart to finish deleting them if you tried to run the game because gameguard for pso2 is in there also and can not be deleted if it has been run since your last restart.

Very sad to report all of this. I had fun for 3 or 4 hours. Hopefully they can get it working but I fear the Microsoft store will bring this one down in the end. What a terrible decision made by SEGA.

This wont work all the time. I did uninstalls, re-installs, and full pc restore. Eventually it stops working, and or duplicates its self. MS needs to send out a patch. Also if you restart your computer or get out of the launcher you may hose it. The issue is,this launch is a disaster with the bugs they have introduced. It happens, but the silence and no eta is not a good sign for PC NA.

Having issues as well, even if yesterday i managed to play, where is the game directory usually located so I see if i can mess with it and make it work?

@EirinnPryderi Based on the discord and my friends as well, eventually it will stop working. The main issue is its not easy to remove it and re-install. They stored most the files in an area generally you don't have access too, so with out using something like power shell most the time you can't get it all off your pc. Worst case I have seen is it is duplicating so people have like 3-4 installs of it. When i tried to remove it just using the app method it just removed the launcher and i still had 50 GBs left on there. Some people though have had successes. So its hit and miss on the removal.

I just did a pc reset, and waiting for a patch or ANY word from PSO2 or MS. It's been silent which makes me mad. I know it may be a bigger issue to fix, but at least tell us that and an eta for an update message. The PSO2 site just says "WELCOME PSO2 for PC" nothing about "Hey we know there is an issue we are looking into, will update by <TIME>".

Can confirm lol I have at least 2 copy's of the game and most likely 3.

I have been through some bad launches, stuff happens. But this is something else. I was never in a position where it was easier for me to reset my PC than deal with trying to get rid of everything and tinker.

So is more a virus than a game if it self replicates XD

@ImMobile2010 said in You have to run the game on PC from the microsoft store if the start menu / taskbar icon doesn' t work.:

Just wanted to share this as I sat through 3 installs after attempting to repair corrupted the whole game. Just type "store" n the search bar and open the game from the "PLAY" button off the MS store. This is a workaround for those of you finding that the game won't start up after you've played it once and restarted your PC.

edit: Eventually it once again stopped working and tried to re download itself again. I've deleted everything now and will wait for a proper install option. I will add that if you are going into the windowsapp folder to find the mutablebackup folder and delete it, make sure you don't change ownership of all subfolders in the windowsapp folder as I did. It wont cause problems immediately but can lead to security vulnerabilities in the future. You only need to change ownership of the windowsapp folder so you can get inside, then change ownership of the mutablebackup folder and all of its sub contents. This will allow you to delete the multiple installs of the game and free up HDD space. You might need to restart to finish deleting them if you tried to run the game because gameguard for pso2 is in there also and can not be deleted if it has been run since your last restart.

Very sad to report all of this. I had fun for 3 or 4 hours. Hopefully they can get it working but I fear the Microsoft store will bring this one down in the end. What a terrible decision made by SEGA.

I'm pretty sure I changed ownership of all subfolders in WindowsApp. Did I screw something up how do I fix that? What do you mean cause problems in the future, how?

I see everyone talks about not being able to access it. How is that possible? I can honestly go into the folder and see all the icons and launcher and data in the folder that game installs it.

@Pairamedic said in You have to run the game on PC from the microsoft store if the start menu / taskbar icon doesn' t work.:

@ImMobile2010 said in You have to run the game on PC from the microsoft store if the start menu / taskbar icon doesn' t work.:

I'm pretty sure I changed ownership of all subfolders in WindowsApp. Did I screw something up how do I fix that? What do you mean cause problems in the future, how?

The trustedinstaller still has permission to do everything in there. All you did was also allow anyone who gets administrator status on your machine to make changes in there as well. Honestly if someone gets that they can just destroy your windows install elsewhere anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Things will still work as you didnt take anything away, you just added permissions for the administrator account to access that folder.