PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......

@landman said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

I doubt most problems are not Launcher related, the Japanese client had permision problems too, just "easier" to solve since you installed the game where you wanted instead of restricted folders. We just forgot about those problems once we stopped using the official client and used the fanmade tweaker client.

The PSO2JP launcher still has permission issues up to this day. I just verified it. If the launcher has to write data to disk, they get instantly set to SYSTEM, but the launcher works normally. It's only AFTER you re-open the launcher, it messes up, throwing "Last Fives". If the files do exist at this point, it just carries on no, it also breaks them. Means, once you finished downloading the game, you have to reset ACLs first - then it works up to the next patch or Store intervention.

I assume PSO2NA does exactly the same.

sure, put it on steam, i mean, gears 5 and halo MCC are on it and they requier a microsoft/xbox account, just need to make sure the game will not launch with modified files to prevent the obligitory nude texture mod, and other mods.

@FlavorfulHen4 said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

The servers are hosted by Sega, not MS. So all server problems, like the frame drops in the lobby, are on Sega not MS.

Aren't the servers hosted on Microsoft Azure, which was originally part of their promotional program (what limited of that they did) so all server issues are in fact a Microsoft problem?

@Clesalir said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

@FlavorfulHen4 said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

The servers are hosted by Sega, not MS. So all server problems, like the frame drops in the lobby, are on Sega not MS.

Aren't the servers hosted on Microsoft Azure, which was originally part of their promotional program (what limited of that they did) so all server issues are in fact a Microsoft problem?

It's on SEGA to make sure it works. I mean the game runs on Xbox just fine using the Azure servers. It's obvious they didn't do enough PC testing and felt it would just work.

@BloodKitten28 said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

sure, put it on steam, [...]

It will break there, too unless the patching mechanism is done by steam, not by it's own launcher and starts PSO2 directly.

@PhantasyStar369 said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

@Clesalir said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

It's on SEGA to make sure it works. I mean the game runs on Xbox just fine using the Azure servers. It's obvious they didn't do enough PC testing and felt it would just work.

The Azure Servers have nothing to do with why PSO2 isn't working on PC. The problem lies with MS Store setting permissions where certain people can't access them, which makes things not work right. The problem here is MS, though, since their store is what sets the improper permissions, which in turn screw things up after launching the launcher. One thing that might ix the problem is for people to completely uninstall the game, then take complete ownership of the WindowsApps Folder, and then download it. With proper permissions for the launcher, it should download the game properly. This would also only be possible if users logged into Windows with their Microsoft Account and that account was set as an Administrator.

The PC version itself is perfectly fine. Many have been able to get in, to the point the servers are pretty much overloaded and we NEED those new Ships soon.

The problem is, and will always be, the Microsoft Store.

Well, the good news is that PSO2 is not on the Microsoft Store's front page anymore, so... someone has to have noticed.

@Ragnawind the problem is that the developers for PSO2NA did not design it correctly to be able to use an external launcher to patch the game properly for users who have at some point manually altered certain file permissions.

Microsoft launched a packaging tool to allow .exe installers to be packaged and used as UWPs, without fully developing the game as a UWP. (Probably because of the upcoming xCloud push to bring people in).

Part of that required the UWP appxmanifest, schemas, and design to create folders that would allow the apps to be modified (ModifiableWindowsApps). Something with launcher, maybe a logical error or environmental call error, caused the launcher to make the MUTABLE folder and backup INSIDE the immutable WindowsApp folder. The Mutable should be PSO2, and should only be installed in ModifiableWindowsApps.

The permission errors are a result of files being installed where, by design, they shouldn't have been installed to allow for the .exe launcher to properly run in the UWP environment.

@NerevarBrand said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

10 hours ago, before work, i was playing the game and having a great time doing my first urgent quest and level 20 something. Get home to do a few missions before i pass out post night duty and instead MS store has corrupted the install and now i am redownloading...

MS store is crap. plain and simple. Stopped playing State of decay after several installs. Gave up on The Outer worlds for the same reason, can't even access the damn folders it installs into without screwing with permissions despite being the admin account on my own PC.

Epic, Steam, GoG all would have been better, hell even bloody Origin is better than MS store....

Same here, yesterday evening late the game install was at last done (after 5 retries thanks to MS Store) I just had the time to log in and appreciate the character creation process and was expecting a great WE discovering PSO2. But NO of course NO this morning that fu*** sh*** of MS Store had decided the game needed to be reinstalled ! Result: I cannot launch the game and I cannot reinstall it either !

Microsoft has had a financial stake in the Phantasy Star series since 2000, i don't know if there was ever a chance to begin with for PSO2 to come to steam.

As much as i like Steam as a gaming platform, Valve has created a monster over the years; and it's gotten a bit unwieldy- it feels very much like the wild west on Steam now, and far less developers seem to be choosing steam then they used to; either that or they are consistently being outbid by other platforms and publishers.

Even so, it's a really dysfunctional place now. I'd rather just see single-player games come to steam- as it just hasn't become the best place in the world for MMOrpg's.

At the end of the day, i think i prefer Microsoft being the publisher/distributor. 🙂

I can't do shit with MS folders. Worst Gaming Platform Point period. Thats awful no properties and permission I am the fucking PC owner ! And thats the end from me either they fix it or I gonna pass on this game. I have enough 2 days in trying to fix my problem but still the same.

@NoSpax said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

It will break there, too unless the patching mechanism is done by steam, not by it's own launcher and starts PSO2 directly.

It's not only the PSO2 launcher's permissions issues, it's a mix of both the permissions issues and the MS Store restricted folders. A Steam or standalone releases wouldn't place the game's data in restricted folders, and so working around the permissions issues would be far easier, and some issues like the game deleting itself if it's not on the Windows drive wouldn't happen.

All of the Microsoft haters need to turn off their computers. To be quite frank, you don't even know why this issue was occurring.

PSO uses a virus for it's security, did you know that? You can complain about how locked down things are, but GameGuard and other copy protection systems go hand in hand with these walled gardens. If Microsoft didn't dump a bunch of money to bring this to us, you'd somehow complain less? Maybe what you SHOULD be doing is complaining to Valve, about why they didn't bring PSO2 years ago. Focus on that.

well you can hate on the haters they won't listen all we want is to simply play but can't is it so hard to understand dear RomBinHood