PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......

@KrayzieKami said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

@Lwyu well yes it is sometimes really bad for games having negative reviews, but there are games that make great come backs like for example Final Fantasy 14 A Realm Reborn. I played both versions and personally I enjoyed both games. While the first one was more hardcore grind and crafting and the other more for casual. Still it depens how well the game is in the end. Lets just hope this lives up to the expecations we all had after waiting for years. I was frustrated to be honest so I gave it 2 stars now its a 5 star review with big thanks for fast fixes. I am at least honestly hyped for PSO2.

Comebacks dont always happen if the game dies we will know who the blame, but I thank you for changing your reviews and being patient. Game on.

@FlavorfulHen4 said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

@Necro4497 My game was installed to "...\ModifiableWindowsApps\pso2_bin" and modifying the files in there are all I needed to touch to fix it when it broke.

Okay. We all have the non hidden directory modifiablewindowsapps. That's not the directory I'm talking about. Modifiablewindowsapps is the folder you're allowed to see and modify. None of the install packet data is in this folder. This folder has your game, and your game files. There is a hidden folder. You have to go to directory options and select show hidden folder and files. Then Program Files\Windowsapps folder appears. To look inside this folder you have to change ownership back to yourself, because you don't own it and can't access it otherwise. Once you change ownership to Users, you can open this folder, and there will be install data folders for every Windows Store app pre-installed by windows, and those purchased by you. In this folder you will find the folders Mutable, and Mutablebackup. These are the folders where the Windows Store bug is happening. For those of us stuck in the download loop, or those who have the game re-downloaded every restart of their computer, a new copy of the 60 gigs of install packets is added into these folders. They aren't overwritten, just added. You can not delete the install packets without first changing ownership of the folders, and uninstalling the game doesn't remove the packets either. These thousands of files within, if you've already endured multiple installs, are eating up our hard drive spice until manually removed. Do not delete any of the other folders in WIndowsapps, nor the mutable or mutablebackup folders themselves. Just the folders within that hold the PSO2 install files, which you'll have to gain ownership of and look into, because they are not labeled in a helpful manner. In your directory you have to go to View Tab. Options, select Change Folder and Search Options, which opens up a window, select that view tab, and then select show hidden folders, as Don't Show hidden folders is the default setting. This is what a lot of us had to search for, and then gain access to in order to save our computers from a bug in the Windows Store. Once you can see the hidden folders, trying to use them will give you access denies. Click the option in that popup to go to securities tab, in the next window, go to advanced settings. In the next window there's an option to change owner. The word change is lit in blue. Select that. Then change ownership to yourself. In a box below, you'll have to type Users as well. Now you can open the folder and look inside. You'll have to do this again for the files within. It takes time, but for those of us getting the buggy Windows Store this is the option that doesn't involve buying a new hard drive, or reformatting. Otherwise the loop eventually fills up your hard drive, and bricks your computer.

@Necro4497 SEGA does have control, though. The installation path, execution path, dependencies, schemas, all of that is determined and coded in by the developer, based on what their game Application needs.

You think if I say "hey I wanna sell my game on Apple devices" that it is up to Apple to program that part for me? No, all that falls on the developers and publishers. How a program handles and records errors is also up to the developer of the application. This game lacks any modern error recording/translating, which indicates a lack of thorough testing. Very likely they are seeing all these for the first time ever.

@John-Paul-RAGE said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

@Necro4497 SEGA does have control, though. The installation path, execution path, dependencies, schemas, all of that is determined and coded in by the developer, based on what their game Application needs.

You think if I say "hey I wanna sell my game on Apple devices" that it is up to Apple to program that part for me? No, all that falls on the developers and publishers. How a program handles and records errors is also up to the developer of the application. This game lacks any modern error recording/translating, which indicates a lack of thorough testing. Very likely they are seeing all these for the first time ever.

sure sometimes, not every dev/pub contract is the same. Usually the publisher will say they want it to go to...... the dev will then work towards that

Publishers usually have control over this Distrubution platforms also have control over this depending on contract

@KrayzieKami said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

Well the truth is if you can't play the Game it deserves only negative posts..

Truth is you're not good at doing reviews if this is your philosophy.

@Ship04 said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

@John-Paul-RAGE said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

sure sometimes, not every dev/pub contract is the same. Usually the publisher will say they want it to go to...... the dev will then work towards that

Publishers usually have control over this Distrubution platforms also have control over this depending on contract

https://www.minitool.com/news/windows-10-games-location.html

Check it out. Any software, any game, no matter what, if you install it form Windows Store, No matter where you install it on your computer, this is where the install files go, not the game, not the software, the install files downloaded, unpacked, and used to install the actuall game or software. This is where they're at, and how to access them. Unless every single developer on Windows Store, chose the exact same path and restrictions. This is a Microsoft thing. This is their default. Just this time, that default is causing problems since the Microsoft Store is having a download loop error. Whenever you restart your computer, Microsoft store checks to see if all of its installs are in order. For some reason, it detects PSO2 as corrupted for some people, and re-installs, but for some reason, does not remove the previous files..

@Pulptenks well I don't care if I can rate it I do so. If I can't play its how I react negative. I won't take it silently that some can play other not. I will force them to do something soon and well at seems it worked can play now and I changed my rating. So take care bye.

@Ephemiel

I've actually always kind of wondered and scratched my head as to why store fronts like Microsoft and Steam don't require a minimum amount of time to actually play the game before being allowed to review it. Even something like an hour would be better than the ability to literally purchase / download a game, than review bomb it for whatever reason.

But even that wouldn't help things like what happened with Doom Eternal, or any other game when a developer makes a controversial change that the players don't like, and suddenly a game goes from being super great to super crappy, even if the change fundamentally didn't change the game it's self.

It's why reviews that hold any kind of numerical rating are flawed in general, and shouldn't be a thing anymore.

A Better option, than giving the game a negative rating, is going into Microsoft store feedback, and telling them about the problem their store is having, and tell them to fix it. I imagine Microsoft cares more about the feedback their store is receiving, than the reviews of just one more piece of software on their store.

Would love for it to be on Steam, or even it's own launcher. It just needs to be pulled from the app store. That alone is killing the game for PC users. Me and countless others are having issue after issue and it's all because the Microsoft App Store. They need to do something to get it off of there, and fast.

I don't know who designed the App Store, but it's seriously awful. You have no real control over any of the files and deleting them can damage your pc.

@Lwyu yes I am a honest guy take care and game on too !

@Algestes said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

Would love for it to be on Steam, or even it's own launcher. It just needs to be pulled from the app store. That alone is killing the game for PC users. Me and countless others are having issue after issue and it's all because the Microsoft App Store. They need to do something to get it off of there, and fast.

I don't know who designed the App Store, but it's seriously awful. You have no real control over any of the files and deleting them can damage your pc.

It will be on steam. I am positive.

@Blade-Syphon said in PSO2 Ratings Have Tanked And Microsoft Store Is To Blame! But fear not! We have a solution......:

@Ephemiel

I've actually always kind of wondered and scratched my head as to why store fronts like Microsoft and Steam don't require a minimum amount of time to actually play the game before being allowed to review it. Even something like an hour would be better than the ability to literally purchase / download a game, than review bomb it for whatever reason.

But even that wouldn't help things like what happened with Doom Eternal, or any other game when a developer makes a controversial change that the players don't like, and suddenly a game goes from being super great to super crappy, even if the change fundamentally didn't change the game it's self.

It's why reviews that hold any kind of numerical rating are flawed in general, and shouldn't be a thing anymore.

Tbf if you can’t run the game you have the right for a negative review . Because a review is not all about gameplay and such . A poorly ported game or a game that does not even run or runs badly is just as bad as a bad game . However what these stores should do is once the problem is stomped out on (in this case Microsoft store uninstalling the game and all those other problems ironed out) all reviews on the matter should be deleted or put under a catagory as fixed as of 1.1 or whatever the update was with the reviews stars not effecting the games rating anymore . If people could not of put it on the store and such I doubt as much would of been done or it probably would of taken them longer .

@Necro4497 it is the registry that ends up corrupted. I had to do a lot of reading about the MSIX deployment for UWPs with external installers, but it basically uses virtualization from several different areas of the computer to put it all together.

If the wrong folder has inheritance enabled on security permissions when it doesn't by default (meaning someone changed it to something different) it is feasible that the ownership could be changed by the "inherited" virtualization permissions.

Would also explain why it doesn't happen to some until after a reboot/exit. I can't confirm the theory though, not sure of what other f2p game uses an external launcher to both install and play the game.

I have to be honest, because i'm often feeling like that lone PC-user on a island by myself; but i really have to ask:

"What in the world did all of the other PC users that are having major issues do differently?"

Did i not have any issues because i already had a Microsoft account linked to the Xbox-play anywhere system? Is it because i'm on a old Hotmail email account from 1999? That last part is just me being silly. xD

But i do have this mental list going on in the back on my brain when i see the topic of PC-users running into issues with this game and it's relation to the microsoft store.

• Do you have Windows 10 64bit Version 1909? Are you updated to the latest .Net rollout package?

• Do you have the general Microsoft store gaming apps installed? eg: Xbox Companion, Xbox Identity Provider, Gaming Services

• What kind of computer do you have, what tech generation is it?

• Who is your ISP? (Internet Service Prover)

• Are you located and attempting to play from North America?

Before i even thought about pre-downloading on that early morning of the 26th (which really may as well been the 27th)- i updated everything; i made sure all my microsoft plugins and apps on the app store were fully up to date; i double-checked to make sure i my Windows didn't have any lose updates i had forgotten about or hidden away.

Most importantly, and maybe this is just me being paranoid or not trusting my own judgment, but i made absolutely sure NOT to install the launcher onto any other drive outside of the standard C:\ drive.

Also i did not use any type of 3rd party download managers or accelerators; which i know some advanced PC users like to use but i've never had good experiences with in the past.