Unable to input Japanese text

I have a USB wireless keyboard paired. Works great, always has. The issue with Japanese text is that it never appears in the game. I should be able to switch the console's IME mode with Shift+Caps on the keyboard to turn on kana input, but it doesn't show up, so instead I press Enter and it brings up the onscreen Xbox software keyboard. When I type the Japanese I want and press Enter or Start the text never appears in the game (in any window: chat, comment box, party window, etc). I can tell the keyboard layout in the game is still in Japanese layout, because my special character inputs are different: for example, Shift+7 is an apostrophe for me, which is correct for the Xbox Japanese keyboard layout. Seeing as how the game is entirely in Japanese text and voice for me (Xbox is set to Japanese), this is somewhat unfortunate. I was hoping to start a Japanese-speaking team in the game on the NA Xbox release.

Is your Xbox region set to Japanese or the United States? it's possible the game is using that to provide game localization, maybe.

@Lucky-13-X Mt Xbox is in Japanese, and the Xbox keyboard is set to Japanese. I want to be able to type Japanese, but cannot. I can type it everywhere in my Xbox, including friend messaging in the Dashboard, just fine.

@Duchess-May said in Unable to input Japanese text:

@Lucky-13-X Mt Xbox is in Japanese, and the Xbox keyboard is set to Japanese. I want to be able to type Japanese, but cannot. I can type it everywhere in my Xbox, including friend messaging in the Dashboard, just fine.

Did you try switching each language setting to Japanese and see if that helped correct the issue?

@Rzarcasm Sorry, I am not following. PSO2 is already in Japanese in the game by default for me. I never had it in English.

@Rzarcasm Sorry, I am not following. PSO2 is already in Japanese in the game by default for me. I never had it in English.

I was thinking since the font is different from the PSO2 JP version that it might not support Japanese text, but after seeing some error messages in Japanese that knocks out that possibility. Also since your game is already in Japanese, I am sure this is a bug. I recommend reporting it as a bug here to get it checked into faster: https://pso2.com/support#contact-us

@Rzarcasm said in Unable to input Japanese text:

I was thinking since the font is different from the PSO2 JP version that it might not support Japanese text, but after seeing some error messages in Japanese that knocks out that possibility. Also since your game is already in Japanese, I am sure this is a bug. I recommend reporting it as a bug here to get it checked into faster: https://pso2.com/support#contact-us

Submitted.

@Duchess-May I tested multiple language texts while in game. Only english A-Z worked. The rest were just auto deleted whenever I would enter.

@The-Question said in Unable to input Japanese text:

@Duchess-May I tested multiple language texts while in game. Only english A-Z worked. The rest were just auto deleted whenever I would enter.

Interesting, hopefully this gets fixed before OBT!

@Rzarcasm They most likely want to keep it english only. Which is why they would set it up that way. You would have to manually block non english characters for them to not even show after being typed.

@The-Question said in Unable to input Japanese text:

@Rzarcasm They most likely want to keep it english only. Which is why they would set it up that way. You would have to manually block non english characters for them to not even show after being typed.

Good theory, did you see the characters that you were entering in the game or did they not show up at all?

I couldn't switch to the input method to get to the Japanese. On the software keyboard, you can type there and the characters show up, but as soon as you try to input them, it doesn't. I've done engineering before--double-bit may not be turned on on the Xbox version at the moment.

@Rzarcasm They showed up but when you press enter they are gone. If you type english text within the other language characters only the english characters showed. The rest were gone.