@zaffy2005 This post got super long so I wanted to put this at the top: there's a free augment week (plus a 20% success rate boost) coming up from 3/31 to 4/13 and you can read about it at the bottom of this announcement.
Returning to your post, you were correct in your reading of the image. Guardian Soul requires 1 copy each of Astral Soul + Aether Factor + Mana Reverie + Absolute Glare and even then you only have a base success rate of 10% to create Guardian Soul. You can increase this percentage with Augmentation Aid items and a few other tricks (boost week, same item bonus, having Augment Guidance on your base gear, etc.), but for the super affixes there will pretty much always be a gamble. This is why folks make these augments on 4-slot gear so they can use 4-slot insurance items that can be purchased in the AC swap shop (big reason why AC Recycle Badges shot up in price/stayed high after the limited AC swap shop ended).
As you mentioned, each of the affixes to make Guardian Soul requires the augments on the outer rings of that image. For example, Photoner Glare requires 1 copy each of Mitra Glare + Varuna Glare + Shiva Glare + Origin Glare and then you need to combine Photoner Glare with 4 copies of Glare Catalyst to have a chance at making Absolute Glare. But the thing is, you only have a 10% base chance of making Phontoner Glare using those 4 augments and the same is true of making Glare Catalyst. Thankfully, once you have Photoner Glare + 4x Glare Catalyst you'll have a 60% chance of making Absolute Glare which you can easily bump to 100% with a 40% Augmentation Aid item from the Ex-cube shop.
However, I should note that this process is a lot easier for weapons as you can get many useful components via "Augment Factors" (the augments that you can transfer with 100% success once a weapon is enhanced to +35). Off hand, I know Astral Soul, Reverie Catalyst, and Factor Catalyst exist as Augment Factors and Omega Memoria can drop in the wild. So that means you just need to make your own copies of Aether Soul (not too hard/expensive), Glare Catalyst, and Photoner Glare.
One thing to keep in mind is that if you have a ton of Mission Pass Badges, you can exchange those for capsules that give you Astral Soul, Mana Reverie, and Aether Factor. So if you're really confident you're done with affixing, you could find units with augments you think are strong and then use Augment Transfer Passes to move those to other units while adding affixes via capsules. How might this work?
Let's say you've been saving mission badges since the game's inception and can afford copies of all 3 capsules. And let's also say you're targeting the Klauz set for your endgame units and want them at 8-slots. Then your steps would be:
- Transfer an S-Grade Augment to your Klauz unit (even a placeholder from the Badge shops will do)
- Wait for boost week and upslot your Klauz units to 8-slots using a 45% Augmentation Aid item to get to 7-slots and a 50% AA item to get to 8-slots.
- During boost week create a 3-slot unit with augments you like or find a unit in your inventory (probably from rainbow keys) with 3 augments you like.
- Use 5 Augment Transfer Passes to move those 3 augments to a 4-slot fodder unit while adding Astral Soul via the capsule
- Use 15 Augment Transfer Passes to move those 4 augments to a 5-slot fodder unit while adding Aether Factor via the capsule
- Use 25 Augment Transfer Passes to move those 5 augments to a 6-slot fodder unit while adding Mana Reverie via the capsule
- Use 100 Augment Transfer Passes to move those 6 augments to your 8-slot Klauz unit (with SGA already on it) and add a Grand or Graceful Stat capsule. Now you'll have an 8-slot Klauz unit with your 3 original augments, Astral Soul, Aether Factor, Mana Reverie, and Grand/Graceful Stat.
If you're low on Mission Badges you can adjust this process either by making more of your own affixes from scratch/finding a unit that has more affixes you'd be happy to take. And if you're low on Augment Transfer Passes you can just make a lower slot unit.