Ask a veteran ARKS!

@xshadowburnx

1. NA doesn't functionally have anything significant that JPN doesn't that would be a major factor in bringing people over. Everyone who transferred over might have their own reasons, be it because it is easier to get their friends to play a "fully" translated version, or they dropped off playing years ago and figured it would be easier to just start fresh than to go through reinstalling the JPN version. I personally still play the JPN version actively while spending a bit of time on the NA version just to be able to help out with questions and such.

2. It is not hard, and the biggest deterrent for a lot of people has been the captcha that you need to solve to start the account creation process. After that it is just a matter of installing the game and using the non-official launcher for translation. I won't go any further or be more specific than that since this isn't the forum for it.

Honestly, the main difference between the NA and JPN server is the fact that NA has way more monetization of cosmetics that cannot be traded/sold on the Player Shops than what is on the JPN server.

If your main concern is cosmetics, then yes, the NA server's set up can be incredibly frustrating since it basically requires you to spend real money constantly just to get the cosmetics you want since they are only available for a day, as opposed to the JPN server where mostly everything just requires you to invest time into the game since those same items can be bought from the Player Shops for the in-game currency, supply and perceived market value of the item being the limiting factor.

If you are more about gameplay, then they are mostly the same, just with NA having less content unlocked since they wanted to give players a sense of progression instead of dumping 7+ years of content that can heavily vary from Quest to Quest on players. Ultimately, the game is a loot grinder, and even currently on JPN there is a bit of a content drought as the current "endgame" content has been the same for the past couple of months with nothing on the horizon due to current world events.

The biggest difference is the translation. On the JP version is pretty bad fan translation (which turned me out of the JP server pretty fast), on NA I'm not sure how translation looks like but I expect better quality. One difference I am aware of is:

JP - Just Attack (wth that's supposed to mean lol :D?)

NA - Perfect Attack - this actually makes some sense

@Chiryuu2609 said in Ask a veteran ARKS!:

The biggest difference is the translation. On the JP version is pretty bad fan translation (which turned me out of the JP server pretty fast), on NA I'm not sure how translation looks like but I expect better quality. One difference I am aware of is:

Ahhh, I wondered what that little accronym-y thing was. Maybe its Just Perfect attack? ;~)

o/ =^.^=

@Chiryuu2609 That's the difference between more of a literal translation/transliteration and a contextual interpretation translation. The fan translation uses terms that are pretty much just transliterations of the Japanese terms since many of them are "English" written out phonetically in katakana; for example, you have ジャストアタックwhich is read along the lines of "jasuto atakku" which is literally Just Attack.

Also, Just Attack is technically a grammatically correct term, though it is pretty clunky for the context, and that likely just comes down to whatever Japanese dev originally came up with the term not having a 100% grasp on English usage. "Just" as an adjective can mean "deserved or appropriate in the circumstances" so the dev likely meant it to reflect that doing it right gave you a well deserved boost.

@AndrlCh said in Ask a veteran ARKS!:

@Chiryuu2609 That's the difference between more of a literal translation and a contextual interpretation translation. The fan translation uses terms that are pretty much just transliterations of the Japanese terms since many of them are "English" written out phonetically in katakana; for example, you have ジャストアタックwhich is read along the lines of "jasuto atakku" which is literally Just Attack. Also, Just Attack is technically a grammatically correct term, though it is pretty clunky for the context, and that likely just comes down to whatever Japanese dev originally came up with the term not having a 100% grasp on English usage. "Just" as an adjective can mean "deserved or appropriate in the circumstances" so the dev likely meant it to reflect that doing it right gave you a well deserved boost.

I know why it's like this but...

• Translation of fiction should NEVER be literal.
  • Japanese people use "english" to make things "cooler".

@Chiryuu2609 By that mentality, does that mean that all the classes should be renamed, since they too are transliterations of the the katakana terms used in the JPN version, even in the NA version? After all, what is a Braver?

@Chiryuu2609 said in Ask a veteran ARKS!:

You probably want to define 'Better quality'. The NA version does seem to have quite a bit of inconsistency problems. Not sure how much of these have been fixed, and if all inconsistencies have been reported.

I personally prefer the Fan Translation, but I have to give it to you that 'Perfect Attack' is overall better than 'Just Attack'. But I have one for you too, 'Dual Blades' makes more sense than 'Soaring Blades'. Won't you agree? 🙂

@AndrlCh said in Ask a veteran ARKS!:

@Chiryuu2609 By that mentality, does that mean that all the classes should be renamed, since they too are transliterations of the the katakana terms used in the JPN version, even in the NA version? After all, what is a Braver?

Names are something a little different, for me - yeah, they should translate every class name that doesn't really make sense, but like I said, I'm a little more accepting when it comes to names.

@ErinXh said in Ask a veteran ARKS!:

You probably want to define 'Better quality'. The NA version does seem to have quite a bit of inconsistency problems. Not sure how much of these have been fixed, and if all inconsistencies have been reported.

Like I said, I expect better quality, considering how bad it was in the fan translation, but I don't know how it will look like, I haven't played yet.

@ErinXh said in Ask a veteran ARKS!:

But I have one for you too, 'Dual Blades' makes more sense than 'Soaring Blades'. Won't you agree?

Hmm... could you give some context, because without context I can't really tell you what I think about it.

in terms of the JP version for translations where you expect it to be imperfect due to it being fan made,it is to be expected in most cases...but i did laugh at the just attack vs perfect attack. NA having weird text that is harder to understand than the JP version is still somewhat funny.

@AndrlCh on the case on NA and JP differences though,that helped a lot. i find myself more laid back for the game play and more into cosmetic releases,prices and attainability so i may get into NA for awhile and try JP later if it doesn't change. Cant forget that there are many new games and patches/expansions coming out for different games this year so either way i am happy 😄

As long as we always have "YOU MAGENCY! Code... DUEL!!" I'll be happy. ;)~

o/ =^.^=

@xshadowburnx Honestly, yes, there are a lot of "add-ons" for the game that are RIDICULOUSLY expensive. For example fully expanding the "carrying" inventory and "Character Storage" for all three freebie characters would cost a grand total of $441. Yikes. And then there are the "subscription options (30, 60, and 90 day varieties) for extended storage options, access to the "premium" personal quarters as opposed to the tiny free version, access to your Personal Shop, etc. Those can add up pretty quick, with I believe the cheapest Premium Set option being the 90-day pack which comes out to about $11 a month and does not include all the additional storage "slots."

But here's the thing: while all of those things ARE quite nice (especialy the inventory and storage boosts), absolutely NONE of them are necessary. I've been able to earn enough SG in-game to be able to buy the Mission Pass Gold and have enough to buy two more before I'd need to earn more SG. And really, earning SG is fairly easy now and once more options (currently available in the JP version) make it to the NA release, it will become even easier. I mean really all you have to do is go into the Personal Shop and look for any Outerwear or CAST bodies (depending on what your character is) that hasn't already been milked for SG, buy it, wear it for a day or so, and poof, 10 SG with minimal effort, purchased with Meseta. Easy peasy.

As for the Personal Quarters and Personal Shop, yea, it's nice to have, but not necessary, and you have the emans in-game to earn a currency called "FUN points" which can be used for FUN scratch tickets which in turn can reward you with 3-day pass access to either of these features. Once you've stocked your Personal Shop using one of these passes even after the pass expires you've only lost access to adding more to the shop. What you have in stock can still be sold and you will still be able to withdraw any earnings from those sales. And if you use the 3-day Quarters pass you can set your room up however you want and it will be saved to the server so that if/when you have access to it again everything will be just as you left it.

The only thing you really "need" to spend money for is the AC items, such as subscriptions and cosmetic items. Again, nothing you actually need in order to play the game. This is where PSO2 varies greatly from another "F2P" game I use to play: Destiny 2. PSO2 is a TRUE F2P experience, there is ZERO paid DLC/"content expansions." Destiny 2 on the other hand, I would call "Free to log on" but in order to get any actual content beyond the base game you have to buy each new "season" of ultimately temporary content (and a poor excuse for content at that). With D2 you actually DO have to pay to keep playing new content, whereas PSO2 the actual game content is free, and the microtransactions or "paid content" is all purely cosmetic or for convenience.

So in the end, how much of a "money pit" the game is really all depends on how much you want to invest in it. So far all I've purchased is the $60 "Sonic Collaboration Founder's Pack" which includes more of the permanent inventory and character storage boosts than could be purchased separately for that price along with a bunch of other extras and goodies, and while I would like more storage (I'm a bit of a hoarder) I don't actually NEED it, it's just a matter of "this would be more convenient." I could still be playing and enjoying the game fully without having spent a dime on it.

@Chiryuu2609 Ah my apologies, indeed context should be provided in order to accumulate an opinion on this matter. And this actually provides an interesting story as well. Allow me:

(Gonna try to avoid using the words Dual, Twin & Double when my opinion is given to deliver this information as objective as possible.)

Since the game Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II was released on the Gamecube. A new weapon category was introduced to the Phantasy Star franchise.

"This weapon type holds a sword, blade or saber in ones left hand, and another sword, blade or saber in ones right hand." In most pairings, these swords, blades or sabers are identical but they do not need to be. This weapon category was officially named "Twin Sword" in Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II.

The table below indicates the official name of this weapon category for each Phantasy Star game it appeared in.

Game Official name
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Twin Sword
Phantasy Star Online Episode III: CARD Revolution Sword (Type)
Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst Twin Sword
Phantasy Star Universe Twin Sabers
Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus Twin Sabers
Phantasy Star Portable Twin Sabers
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Twin Sabers
Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity Twin Sabers

The weapon category did not appear in Phantasy Star Zero & Phantasy Star Nova.

A quick glance provides us that the name for the category is synonymous with the word 'Two'. (Except for one instance: Phantasy Star Online Episode III: CARD Revolution. There is a particular reason for that, if you're interested I could tell you. Unless you know it already.)

Now of course 'history' should not always determine the outcome, nor should it be the deciding factor on naming a certain entity or object.

As a philosopher once beautifully said: Past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Al tough, they sometimes tend to forget that history does give you a direction or at least a foundation.

Anyway, forget about past games. It was merely meant as introduction. Let us return to 'Phantasy Star Online 2' that's what we're here for.

The official name for the weapon category in the Japanese version of Phantasy Star Online 2 is デュアルブレード. We can dissect this word into the following 2:

• デュアル (De~yuaru) = Dual or a synonym of it.
  • ブレード (Burēdo) = Blade or a synonym of it.

(Not to forget the word デュアルブレード is an English inspired Japanese word.)

We know that the Fan translation named it "Dual Blades" as a direct translation/conversion of it's official Japanese name. However the NA version has called this category "Soaring Blade".

The "Blade" part seems to be correct, but "Soaring" is not related to Double, Dual, Twin, Couple, Two, Binary or any synonym I could think of.

With all this said, I leave it to thou what thy opinion on the matter is. Does thee favor "Dual Blades" or "Soaring Blades" or perhaps something else?

It does however raise the question why "Soaring"? I could think of 2 reasons.

One being, they thought that the players wouldn't be able to distinguish "Dual Blades" from the other category: "Double Saber". Which is indeed a fair point, but one could wonder: Isn't it up to the players to learn it? Is our intelligent not rich enough to understand? Will we always be confused with Dual Blades and Double Saber?

The other, they named it "Soaring" due the capabilities of a couple of the weapon's PA's. Some PA's tend to levitate the player or push the player into the sky for follow-up movement and mid-air gameplay, in this case "Soaring". But one does wonder why define a name of a weapon category after the capabilities of a couple PA's? To represent those certain PA's but not all of its PA's? In my opinion if thou wants to do it right, thou shalt not only represent a handful of its PA's but thou shalt represent 'ALL' of its PA's, to do it truly justice. Anyway, none of the other weapon categories are named in that fashion. For example, the "Sword" category is not named "Sword" due its PA's nor is it to represent them.

One could ask thyself. If "Soaring Blades" is mentioned, is the first thing what comes to mind a pair of blades?

When I think of Soaring Blades I thought it to be a name for a certain weapon, but not a weapon category. Of course there is no wrong answer here, to each their own I suppose.

@ErinXh Well your context was a little overboard, but thank you for all this info ;).

Answering your question - yes, in this case twin/dual blades would be much more explicit and probably would make more sense. I have no idea why they picked soaring blades instead. Though from what you say - it's not like they are actually twins?

Translation is actually pretty hard process and it's not like you can please everyone. Translation shouldn't ever be literal, because then it usually just sounds wrong, but you also can't go overboard or people will just eat you for it, it's all about finding the perfect zone.

@ErinXh The name of Soaring Blade probably comes from its Kanji weapon name of "飛翔剣". Every weapon type of PSO2 has a Kanji name and English word based Katakana name. For example, Sword has a Kanji name of "大剣" (literally, great/large sword) and a Katakana name of "ソード" (which is the loan word of English word "sword").

For "飛翔剣", "飛翔" is rather an elegant word of "飛行", which is pretty neutral and generic word for "flying". So very literally translated, "飛翔剣" will be flying sword. Adding in some elegance of "飛翔" and the in-game characteristics of the weapon type, Soaring Blades is a fine translation of "飛翔剣", IMPO.

Still, I had to question "Why this weapon only takes the Kanji name!?" when I first knew the NA name of the weapon was Soaring Blades 😆

Also, I tend to mix up Dual Blade and Double Saber, I welcome the adoption of Soaring Blades 😃