Ask a veteran ARKS!

Hey there new ARKS! AnNA Systems leader here to help you with whatever questions you might have!

This thread is for yall to ask any level of question, newbie all the way up to level 95, all classes, all matters!

Teams, rooms, gear, whatever you like!

If I can't answer the question for you, then I'm certain another veteran player like myself would be happy to 🙂

Got a question?

-AnNA Systems

Just gonna bump this because a lot of players seem to have questions and don't quite know where to turn!

🐸

Here are my questions for ya.

1. How frequent were the crossovers in the Japan release?
  2. How was the in-game economy from when you started to now?
  3. Does the specific way you set up a class skill tree affect me heavily later in the game.
  4. Are the weapons bought with Unique Weapon Badges the best in the game or are there better weapons from quests/events/enemy drops?
  5. How much was the minimum amount for AC in the Japan release?
  6. How often were Urgent quests in the Japan release?
  7. Are there holiday-themed quests or events?
  8. How balanced is the game?
  9. After a certain level does the EXP requirement jump up outrageously like more than double/triple the previous amount?
  10. How often is new content added to the game?

Alright here goes!

1. Roughly every 4 months, give or take. Its not quite a solid schedule, but its often enough. Right now there's content for the PSO:O anime, and just before that they were doing Evangelion. Another one is due soon as PSO:O ends in a few days.

2. Its just gotten so much worse, not gonna lie. There's no regulation and so cash-value items have just skyrocketed in value. While real cash items being expensive in MMOs isnt unheard of, PSO2 tends to take it to another level. I'm really hoping that'll be handled with this release.

3. My best advice for skill trees is to do plenty of research. But even if you mess up, don't worry too much about it because it can be reset. PSO2JP has historically given away free skill tree resets every time a new class is introduced, and right now PSO2NA is about ~4 years behind in content, as well as multiple advanced classes. Skill tree resets won't be impossible to get, or if you need one now, they can be purchased for AC.

4. It depends on what you're looking for in a weapon. Some weapons have special abilities that you can't find in other weapons, so you may stick with something even if its weaker. My current weapon is about a year and a half old even though there have been many more upgraded weapons released, because it allows me to keep Red+Blue cast all all times! Also, all weapons can be customized to your liking!

5. If memory serves, it was like 100 yen, roughly $1.00 USD

6. Every 2-3 hours, not quite always a set schedule, but always scheduled a few days in advance. Also, during maintenance, they tend to be fewer of them.

Also from time to time, a random one pops up. Remember, most of the knowledge of the game for English players was strictly community, so everything sort of had to be discovered through our own means, unless you can read Japanese.

7. Always! The yearly Valentine's event is going right now, and in a few weeks the White Day event goes live!

8. There tend to be balance issues when there's a new class introduced, but usually within a few months patches will be rolled out to help fix the issues. The bigger issue is power creep.

9. I'm level 90 right now and its only about 1 million higher per level. Roughly around level 90, the experience for each level is 10-12mil or so.

[That sounds like a lot but given that some bosses give half a million each, its not actually that bad. EXP from enemies is also ridiculously high, and with boosts plus keys, you'll be there in no time!]

10. That's...that's a big question. PSO2JP is entering its 8th year right now and has continually been having content and patches added all 8 years. It hasn't always been on a set schedule for various reasons such as development time and such, but new cosmetics are added every few weeks, and in addition to new levels plus events, the content is pretty frequent.

That was a heck of a round of questions! I hope this provided some answers! Please, keep 'em coming!

lol oops these were numbered 1-10 before formatting hit 'em LOL sorry bout that. I'll fix in future posts.

Also I should probably tag users when I've replied to their posts...

@Plazza7020

@MachineQueen It's okay. We all mess up in small ways every now again. Thank you for the answers! 😄

@MachineQueen I got a few more questions for ya.

1. How did the economy of the Japan PSO2 server get so bad? Did an item that gave ridiculous amounts of Meseta get added or was there a botting issue that led to high amounts of Meseta becoming normal?
  2. Have there been hackers issues recently in the Japan Server?
  3. Is there a problem with bots spamming messages in the Gate area advertising "meseta buying sites" or something around those lines and using an insane amount of @'s?
  4. Are there any types of raid bosses/dungeons in PSO2 or are they just urgent quests?
  5. What happens if an Alliance Leader moves ship? Does it automatically kick you from the alliance or does it allow for people from different ships to be in the same alliance?
  6. Is there a limit to the amount of accessories you can have on one character?
  7. Is there a way to get more than 3 characters on one ship?
  8. Are 13 star items the highest rarity or are there items with 14 stars or higher?
  9. What has been the most unexpected or odd crossover in any Phantasy Star game?
  10. Does the level cap ever get raised?
  11. What is the most strong boss in PSO2?

Did you prefer the old Over-The-Shoulder mechanic with Talis where directional techs/spells would aim at the crosshair where it was pointed? Or do you prefer the new mechanic where the directional tech/spell will only do such if your crosshair is pointed at an enemy's hitbox, otherwise it will go where you're facing instead?

This only applies to when your Talis weapon is deployed, not while in-hand.

Been googling and not found an answer. How do you change name color? I was in an Urgent Quest with someone name Devil who had a red colored name O.o he was the only one I saw like that. I was thinking it was an admin? but not sure.

@Plazza7020 said in Ask a veteran ARKS!:

@MachineQueen I got a few more questions for ya.

1. How did the economy of the Japan PSO2 server get so bad? Did an item that gave ridiculous amounts of Meseta get added or was there a botting issue that led to high amounts of Meseta becoming normal?
  2. Have there been hackers issues recently in the Japan Server?
  3. Is there a problem with bots spamming messages in the Gate area advertising "meseta buying sites" or something around those lines and using an insane amount of @'s?
  4. Are there any types of raid bosses/dungeons in PSO2 or are they just urgent quests?
  5. What happens if an Alliance Leader moves ship? Does it automatically kick you from the alliance or does it allow for people from different ships to be in the same alliance?
  6. Is there a limit to the amount of accessories you can have on one character?
  7. Is there a way to get more than 3 characters on one ship?
  8. Are 13 star items the highest rarity or are there items with 14 stars or higher?
  9. What has been the most unexpected or odd crossover in any Phantasy Star game?
  10. Does the level cap ever get raised?
  11. What is the most strong boss in PSO2?

@Plazza7020

1. That's kind of a complicated question that there isnt one real forward answer to. It was a lot of things. Start with players like what someone said in another thread "I'm gonna horde this item for 6 months and then sell it at an obscene price on the marketplace" -- That kinda thing time infinity is what broke the economy. Another major factor was the difficulty for specific affixes and the value of them skyrocketing over time. And price gouging -- players buying things to resale them at 3-4x their original market value.

2. So any online game is going to have issues with hackers. The issue is never "have there been" and always will be "what is the damage". There have been a few incidents of hackers in games but its never been anything devastating, accounts never compromised, anything like that.

3. Generally speaking, those types of things are pretty nonexistent. Sega seems to keep a real tight lid on that type of thing. I've been playing for years and can only think of maybe a single time I've seen bot selling at all, so consider that a GREAT sign.

4. There's tons of raid bosses and dungeons. And you can actually do old events too with items called "Triggers" which are readily available for a variety of types. Right now, you can acquire the valentines day ones!

5. I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the Alliance leadership is handed to the next person in line, the second in command.

6. 3 accessories can be equipped at any time on a character. But you can own an infinite amount, in theory.

7. AC.

8. There's 15 star items, and I suspect 16 star will be introduced within the next year. Power creep is pretty bad in this game. 13 star armor were just introduced though, that's new.

9. Oof. Okay so. There haven't been a lot of crossovers outside of the PSO games themselves, and PSO2 has had more by far than any of the other PSO games. Oddest? Seeing The Sonic Movie in PSO2NA 🤣

10. Constantly. The cap has been raised from 75 to 95 in just the last few years. It went from 75 to 80 to 85 to 90 to 95, and I think 100 is right around the corner.

11. Let me get back to you on that one. They're all strong, and with new bosses that I havent yet played because of the raise to level 95, I don't have a good answer for you. But trust me, you better start getting a 12 player raid team together!

@oldColdReactive said in Ask a veteran ARKS!:

Did you prefer the old Over-The-Shoulder mechanic with Talis where directional techs/spells would aim at the crosshair where it was pointed? Or do you prefer the new mechanic where the directional tech/spell will only do such if your crosshair is pointed at an enemy's hitbox, otherwise it will go where you're facing instead?

This only applies to when your Talis weapon is deployed, not while in-hand.

@oldColdReactive

I've never really had much of a preference tbh. Talis has always been a little difficult for me to use, and not exactly my favorite weapon, so even on classes like Hero, I generally stuck to guns or swords.

@SpookyOh said in Ask a veteran ARKS!:

Been googling and not found an answer. How do you change name color? I was in an Urgent Quest with someone name Devil who had a red colored name O.o he was the only one I saw like that. I was thinking it was an admin? but not sure.

@SpookyOh

You can't change your name color, but you can change your online status color. {red} or {blu} or {pur} etc before your online status will change the color of it. But it does appear like its part of your name, so that may be the confusion. If someone ACTUALLY had a username that was red then my thoughts are this...

A) Perhaps {red} works in character names?

B) Glitch, possibly

C) Perhaps an admin or dev.

Most likely it was just someone using the online status to change their color though. Sorry this probably isn't as helpful as you thought! I'm willing to bet it was a color online status, as I do this frequently to attract players when recruiting for my team!

Keep your questions coming, everyone! 😸

@MachineQueen said in Ask a veteran ARKS!:

1. That's kind of a complicated question that there isnt one real forward answer to. It was a lot of things. Start with players like what someone said in another thread "I'm gonna horde this item for 6 months and then sell it at an obscene price on the marketplace" -- That kinda thing time infinity is what broke the economy. Another major factor was the difficulty for specific affixes and the value of them skyrocketing over time. And price gouging -- players buying things to resale them at 3-4x their original market value.

Just to kind of add to this, a lot of Scratch Card Items were "once and done", not to mention items that were attached to real merchandise or events (which was also another issue for those playing overseas-- I remember importing a handful of things and I'm just hoping those items will still be considered for this version). But that made a lot of items just raise in price because so many things just... did not make a comeback. I'm hoping this version could consider making some items recurring (even if it's once a year or something, but at least not permanently gone) to help lessen the amount of price gauging.

I can't comment much on how much weapons and armor were (I pretty much got stuff I liked and stuck with it-- I had stuff pretty high leveled from the market and wasn't really close to super end-game content where I need to worry about that stuff), but I remember just how crazy some of the vanity items could get-- new voices and lobby actions being some of the worst.

Anyway, to give a fun question, what's feature are you most looking forward to the North American version hitting? And how do you feel about some of the adjustments made? (As a side note, I recently was comparing my video during the original tutorial when I played the Japanese server yeeears ago and how it started in this and I didn't realize they updated it in Japan so that was really interesting to me.)

A more complicated question, as it's something that wasn't really there when I played, any recommendations for the best ring(s) to make and best food to cook?

I also always found myself going back and forth on Armor. Weapons were pretty easy for me-- after all, there's only so many I can use and there's numbers for stats and things, but I never figured out what the best way to do armor was. I usually went with whatever I had highest for each slot (sometimes trying to balance one to each "type" (IE: Melee/Strike, Range, and Tech)), but is there a better way to go about them to get the most out of them?

Thank you for taking the time to answer people and help out 😄 I've been having a lot of fun reading your advice, even as someone who's played before.

@Princesse-Jen said in Ask a veteran ARKS!:

Anyway, to give a fun question, what's feature are you most looking forward to the North American version hitting? And how do you feel about some of the adjustments made? (As a side note, I recently was comparing my video during the original tutorial when I played the Japanese server yeeears ago and how it started in this and I didn't realize they updated it in Japan so that was really interesting to me.)

A more complicated question, as it's something that wasn't really there when I played, any recommendations for the best ring(s) to make and best food to cook?

I also always found myself going back and forth on Armor. Weapons were pretty easy for me-- after all, there's only so many I can use and there's numbers for stats and things, but I never figured out what the best way to do armor was. I usually went with whatever I had highest for each slot (sometimes trying to balance one to each "type" (IE: Melee/Strike, Range, and Tech)), but is there a better way to go about them to get the most out of them?

Thank you for taking the time to answer people and help out 😄 I've been having a lot of fun reading your advice, even as someone who's played before.

@Princesse-Jen

Okay so this is totally silly but the feature I'm actually already appreciating more than anything else was VOIP. Being able to talk to your party members easily is SO MUCH MORE CONVENIENT THAN DROPPING OUT OF BATTLE TO TYPE FOR THIRTY SECONDS.

As for some of the adjustments, I think 'Alliances' is a little strange versus Teams, but otherwise everything is pretty good. Many of the voices REALLY capture the characters, and while I really hope there's an option to change back to Japanese audio for things like music, I can always just get the discs and go listen to them in my room so that's no big deal LOL.

There's not really any "best rings" because they all have completely different functions, its more like what you need your ring to do. But to make those and also food [also with different functions] just always make sure to harvest! Every day 😸 Also recently in PSO2JP they made some major changes to the ring system that I'm not super familiar with, and I suspect those changes will be implemented to PSO2NA upon launch, so feel free to get back to me on this!

Armor is a...HUGE discussion. Its not just about what has bigger numbers, its also about what type of armor you want, what affixes you want, what works best for you and, yeah, what has bigger numbers. It also becomes about time, money, and meseta. How much of each do you have to put into getting the end-game-iest levels of gear, and do you even need them? My wife has much higher level end game gear than I do, and has spent a lot of time studying and focusing on affixes, because she takes it more seriously than I do. That's not to say I don't do damage -- I focus heavily on buffing and support, but even among end game players, with lower end level gear, I'm still hard to KO. If you want to chase end game gear, do some research. If you just want to have fun, enjoy what drops, and dont worry too hard about it! You'll be plenty strong either way! 🙂

AAAAA THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING!! THAT MEANS A LOT TO ME!!! PSO has been a huge part of my life since I was a kid and so its so nice to be able to get to talk about all this stuff and also help other new players! 😸 Please, feel free to keep asking questions! ^o^ THANK YOU FOR ENJOYING MY THREAD!!!

I ONLY HAVE ONE QUESTION!!

What... is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

You have to know these things when you're an ARKs, after all.

@Sylus said in Ask a veteran ARKS!:

What do you mean, an African or a European swallow?

@MachineQueen said in Ask a veteran ARKS!:

@Sylus said in Ask a veteran ARKS!:

What do you mean, an African or a European swallow?

Huh? I... I don't know that!