Why is the game duplicating itself?

Upon installing the game, I specified that I want it to be installed on my H driver, it's currently 50Gb as the download is progressing.

I had permissions issues with files on my C folder, which I managed to resolve. However, upon closer inspection of the folder called 100B7A24.oxyna_1.0.7.0_x64__wyfsmff9ynw7j on my C disk, it has the exact same size as my PSO2_bin folder on H, it's like game data are being copied to both folders at the same time.

What the absolute hell is this? I never asked for the game to be installed on my C SSD, there's clearly not enough space for that. What should I do? I have never seen this kind of issue in any other game before.

@Kattous haven't seen it on any other Microsoft store game, either.

I have found it in 5 locations so far.

People have been saying that renaming their WindowsApp to WindowsApp.old solved the issue but I'm too scared to try at this point. I'm in a bit of a different situation tho as I chose E:/ on Microsoft Store to install it, it installed the launcher just fine, but the launcher downloaded all the files in C:/ So basically now I have a PSO 2 in E:/ around 10GB and another one in C:/ around 69GB. I tried to go in Win 10 Settings > Apps > PSO 2 to move it from there but off course it says it's already in E:/

@Sephirod2960 Windows.old folders are typically removed after 10 days. They exist to rollback an update that didn't go well.

Yea the fact that the game is duplicating itself (60gb) multiple times on people's account is fucked up. I figured out that it was downloading an extra version every single time I hit the "start" button, leading to having to delete 200gb of PSO2 trash off my PC (from the hidden Windowsapps folders containing oxyna).

Subsequently, because i was really itching to play, I downloaded one more time once it was all removed from my computer, and it worked! One time, and then when i logged off and eventually tried to get back in, it did basically the same thing, moving files from the working folder into a hidden windowsapps Oxyna folder, which I had to delete again.

At this point I'm done. I've gone from being super excited (a very rare occurrence these days) to not giving a single shit about this company or their game. The fact that they are dropping dozens/hundreds of gbs of completely wasted space onto people's computers is disgusting. Screw PSO2, screw SEGA, and screw Microsoft for putting up such an awful product on their store.

MS is more to blame since you're downloading it through their shitty store. If it was on another platform it would be smooth sailing except for the resolution issues past 1080p.

I reeally fcking hope a solution can be made for this because I can't even uninstall the previous one I installed. It doesn't recognizee that my account is the administrator. I tried changing the owner to my admin but it just keeps denying me. The option is greyed out 😕 so you guys that are able to delete it/ uninstall are lucky.

@BFGesus Nah its a little bit of both tbh. It's honestly pretty fucking gross that the Microsoft Store would even have such a buggy untested product on their store (I realize with MMO's its out of Microsofts hands, but I don't care).
That being said, it's the installer itself that is duplicating the files, not the app store, and that is a MUCH more disgusting reality because PSO2 is literally tanking people's computers right now by duplicating to a point where they (and I) run out of space based on literal 100's of GBs of empty, unusable data.

They can screw up launch all they want. They can have a game unplayable at launch (virtually all MMO's release totally broken in every way), but to release something that makes drastic and severe changes to people's systems is awful; And we can't pretend they aren't aware of the issue. The download issues have been pasted ALL over the forums at this point.

Sega is just being silent, letting people keep screwing their computers. Company is disgusting. My suggestion is to make a review on the Microsoft Store. PSO2 already has tanking reviews

I heard the jp version wasn't this horrible. I wanna know what keeps installing shit to my C : drive instead of the drive where I initially installed the game.

@BFGesus from what I can tell after many hours (and deleting like 200gb of installs off my pc) is that your computer installs it fine to one location, then moves it to another location (windowsapps in your hidden folders). Then if you try to load it again it will download another copy of the full client onto your computer (basically because it has "misplaced" the first one); Before you know it you end up with 5 oxyna folders, all with 60-66gb of files, hidden in your C:.
Mine was legitimately installing new versions every time i would try to hit the "start" button in the launcher.

I actually dealt with some retarded MStore/Microsoft helper for like an hour before just fixing the issue myself and doing a real thorough check. Totally useless.

That being said, PSO2 has dropped a star in its reviews in the last hour, and 28/30 of the last reviews were 1 star because of the rampant install issues etc; So I feel like PSO will do something about it sooner than later, seeing as its going to tank their NA release if they keep being morons.

Yeah I figured this out not too long ago. I've never dealt with such an anti-PC game like this before. jfc...

I must be super lucky, because I decided to download the game purely for science and see what it does to my rig. I told it to install to my E: drive (My HDD, so not one of my two SSDs) and amazingly enough it downloaded just fine, launcher updated just fine, downloaded all the game just fine. Since then I've loaded the game up 4 times, rebooted my computer once and took ownership of the folders I know of for this game. It loads without issue for me and my harddrive space has not changed since that launcher finished downloading the 60GB patch or however big it is. So like I said somehow I must be lucky....

THAT SAID there is no excuse for this game to be having such a terrible launch that is affecting other people so badly. I so far may have been lucky but I don't need convincing to believe that so many people are having so many issues just trying to get the game to work, or even just install properly. They made players wait 8 years for this, and THIS is what they give the PC crowd after all that time? Sega better do something quick to rectify this, or the PC version of this game will crash and burn as people decide to abandon hope of a legitimate US launch of this game.

@RevAlerond I must be lucky too. I installed my game onto my D drive (because my C drive does not have enough space for much more than essential files). Aside from finding that it had copied a shortcut folder of the WindowsApp stuff onto my C drive, which I took ownership of and have since deleted, I haven't hit this problem that everyone else is having. It hit a friend of mine who I really wanted to play with, but he says that he won't be playing either until this is fixed or until it releases on another platform.

It's a shame, too. This game is really fun, and I finally see what all the fuss was about when people would talk it up back in the day.

I wonder if it's people installing it directly to their C drive that are having the issue? I'm not really savvy with this kind of stuff, but there's got to be SOMETHING different that we're doing that's eliminating the problem. Maybe because my C drive can't actually fit another copy of the game?

That being said I seem to have a WindowsApp folder installed onto my D drive that has roughly 10.9 gigs of data in it that seem to be just a copy of some of the game's files. The folder they're in is labelled with the same "100B7A24.oxyna_1.0.7.0_x64__wyfsmff9ynw7j" we've all come to dread. All the files located in this folder are located in the pso2_bin folder containing the larger 70 gig installation. The 100B7A24.oxyna_1.0.7.0_x64__wyfsmff9ynw7j folder seems to not want me to take ownership of it, as I can't get rid of it.

This post is deleted!

Update : Ok so I figured it out with some help, that the game juste creates a NTFS jun point and that was why it took 69GB of space virtually and forwarding it to E:/ where it's installed. Like to keep it simple, all Appx program "live" in C:\ but use junction points to be able to move the all the folders to another volume.

But now I just found out I have PSO2 4 TIMES ON MY PC :'D So now, I have the "100B7A24.oxyna1.0.7.0_x64_wyfsmff9ynw7j" folder in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps (11GB), another one in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Mutable (70GB) and finally one in E:\WindowsApps (10GB).

AND I also have the game in E:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps\pso2_bin I don't know even know what to think anymore

EDIT : Now I know, in short. You have 2 NTFS junction points if you install it on another drive than C:/ (or if you install in C:/ too anyway ?) One for the launcher, and one for the actual pso2_bin folder.

In my example for the launcher you get the NTFS junction point in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\100B7A24.oxyna1.0.7.0_x64_wyfsmff9ynw7j and the actual E:\WindowsApps\100B7A24.oxyna_1.0.7.0_x64__wyfsmff9ynw7j folder when first intalling the 10GB from the Microsoft Store.

Then you get the NTFS junction point for the actual full game in C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Mutable\100B7A24.oxyna_1.0.7.0_x64__wyfsmff9ynw7j and the actual pso2_bin folder with the launcher you're actually launching when you've finished installing everything and launching the game from the Start Menu + all the data in E:\Program Files\ModifiableWindowsApps

So here you have it. And I wish we could delete 100B7A24.oxyna_1.0.7.0_x64__wyfsmff9ynw7j junction + folder when everything is set and running but huh...