I feel a little bad for brand new players who didn’t play the JP version.

They throw EVERYTHING at you right away. For one, they give you far too many client quests and they are still poorly managed on where to go to find what etc. As a veteran player of course it’s all easy to figure out but if you’ve never played it, it’s cumbersome. The tutorials cut off too soon and require a lot of reading. Which of course you should read to find out the information but it’s still right in your face at the start. New players need to shift through 3 expansions worth of content immediately to figure out exactly what’s going on.

I myself made a brand new account to remember everything I had to do at the start in the JP version. It had been a couple years since I’d played but they shove a lot of information at you right from the get go. I can’t tell you how many groups I’d been In with no mag or even how to get one. It seemed after each quest 5 areas opened up 9 people have new client orders and they aren’t all that organized to begin with. Even a veteran player since the beginning of PSO 2 in Japan I was still confused a few times trying to figure out which client quests pertained to which area I was going to.

In any event it was a blast to play. Now it’s off to work and the real world begins. Here’s to hoping we get a roadmap of what’s next and not weeks of waiting in silence.

Anyways just my take.

They throw EVERYTHING at you right away.

This was expected. When it was announced, they said there would be no patch catch-up.

@oldColdReactive said in I feel a little bad for brand new players who didn’t play the JP version.:

This was expected. When it was announced, they said there would be no patch catch-up.

Yeah, but that having all the content doesn't mean it should be dropped on the player with no explanation. For example, when Destiny 2 went F2P they changed the way the game started and added a brand new questline for players starting out to make sure they understand what the game has to offer before it gave them the option to explore story content

@StupeiAceDefect said in I feel a little bad for brand new players who didn’t play the JP version.:

@oldColdReactive said in I feel a little bad for brand new players who didn’t play the JP version.:

Yeah, but that having all the content doesn't mean it should be dropped on the player with no explanation. For example, when Destiny 2 went F2P they changed the way the game started and added a brand new questline for players starting out to make sure they understand what the game has to offer before it gave them the option to explore story content

New player here! I'm having a grand honestly I wish there wasn't only 30ish hours to enjoy things!

In terms of story ect - my main feeling is that I wish I had a bit more time to soak it all in - but I've taken to it pretty well I think? I was very nervous as the last MMO I played was Final Fantasy 11 and once I got to the raids I got a bit stuck trying to progress + I don't really have friends who play MMO's so no built in party.

Once we get a longer test or release, I think I will be able to focus more on the story stuff. I do enjoy the character writing for quests though!

I played FInal Fantasy XI early last year myself. A lot of changes occured between its release in 2002 and 2019. I mainly played it to pass the time until FFXIV Shadowbringers. I can say that PSO2 is a lot simpler. It is more similar to that of FFXIV 1.0 in design however. But that's to be expected considering Guild Wars 2 is also pretty goofy when it comes to pointing out stuff for you to do. (At least originally. it took them years to finally make changes for new players, and as a result of it, a lot of fun content actually got cut that old players enjoyed before the so-called "NPE" or "New Player Experience" patch.)

The last FF game I played I'm pretty sure was VIII, no trouble here.

The jp server was shit anyway, jp players were hostile towards foreigners and tried their hardest to get non jp players banned.

@Geordie-P said in I feel a little bad for brand new players who didn’t play the JP version.:

The jp server was shit anyway, jp players were hostile towards foreigners and tried their hardest to get non jp players banned.

None of this is true.

@Ilúvatar said in I feel a little bad for brand new players who didn’t play the JP version.:

@Geordie-P said in I feel a little bad for brand new players who didn’t play the JP version.:

None of this is true.

oh yes it is, my first account was banned after 4 days right after buying arcs cash. I then tried several years later with the translation running and it was still shit.

Sounds like maybe you did something you shouldn't have. I know many people who have playing there for close to 8 years without issue.

@Ilúvatar said in I feel a little bad for brand new players who didn’t play the JP version.:

Sounds like maybe you did something you shouldn't have. I know many people who have playing there for close to 8 years without issue.

Youre right. I gave pso2jp my time and money.

Well, I'm sorry you're so clearly tupset over this, but it's not really relevant to the thread at hand.

On that note, I will say that it is just as overwhelming for new JP players who start now, but the game tends to be pretty intuitive on the whole, once you get your bearings.

There are 10 servers on Japanese server, ship2: Ur, is the place where there's a dedicated community on there. The reason why JP players were hostile toward Westerner was because the English players were assaulting them. Not to mention that was more than 5 years ago, happened on block20. JP players are actually nice, same for the Western players. At least nowadays when I do log onto JP PSO2 ship2, it's peaceful.

The translation group has been working on PSO2 JP translation for years, it's a dedicated thing already. If they were just to ban most of the westerner from playing PSO2 JP version, there won't be a community there at the moment. Also I've been there for 6 years and I do not believe any of my friends got banned for just buying AC. It's highly something happened on your end, ends up banned.

The most likely case was that you may have gotten a ban from someone reporting you for using a placeholder link while using the English Translation patch made by the community. The translation patch made these placeholders (IE: <loc > or <pos >) link in English. Doing such would be a viable way for a JP user to report you to SEGA JP and get you perma-banned for modifying the game's files.

It probably was not that. People (even Japanese players) use English words/phrases in chat without issue.