HDD Space Not Given Back After Uninstall

Hope this gets fixed soon 😕

i had forcibly re-installed the game for the 3rd time now after playing quite a bit and i started using a program a friend referred me called treesize... it finds where my space is..and well.. this is what i've found which is laughable...

https://i.imgur.com/jSb685U.png

that does not account for the 70gb or so from modifiable windows apps.. lol

@SSJ-KP said in HDD Space Not Given Back After Uninstall:

i had forcibly re-installed the game for the 3rd time now after playing quite a bit and i started using a program a friend referred me called treesize... it finds where my space is..and well.. this is what i've found which is laughable...

here is the program for those interested so they can locate/delete https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free

here is the program for those interested so they can locate/delete https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free

Dude, seriously, thank you. I had the SAME exact issue, it was eating over 200 GB on my fucking 500 GB SSD

@Ragnawind said in HDD Space Not Given Back After Uninstall:

To be clear, you do NOT delete the whole WindowsApp folder. For this game, the launcher is directly inside the folder in a folder that includes "oxyna" in its name. The actual data downloaded should be in Mutable in a folder with the same name.

This is what worked for me. Thank you so much. So to recapitulate:

• You need to set your Explorer to show hidden folders&files.
  • You need to change ownership of WindowsApp folder to yourself (remember to checkbox the option that makes it apply to subfolders).
  • You need to delete the "oxyna" folder and also everything inside the MutableBackup folder (don't delete the folder itself).

Microsoft Store sucks so much. How could they make this game installation so bad? It installs stuff on 5 different places on your PC (including settings on MyDocuments) and only deletes one of them upon uninstall (10 GB out of 70). Steam and other game/app stores do something similar, but by far not at this level. This is such an embarrassment.

Was this ever fixed? I have a mutable backup folder that is 59gb. I have uninstalled the game once and had to reinstall. I noticed my SSD space becoming quite low and looked into it. I have a windowsapps and a modifiablewindowsapps folder. The windowsapps folder has a mutablebackup folder with 58gb of data. The modifiablewindowsapps folder has pso2_bin with another 58gb of data. I clearly don't need one of these and I'm guessing its the mutablebackup folder. I have been trying to get the permissions changed but have been unsuccessful. I was able to change myself to the owner but i am unable to change permisions to allow myself to delete it though, all the boxes are grayed out.

This is the most irritable thing I have ever encountered from a simple damn game installation. I wonder how many people out there are even aware of the complete fuckery of this system and have this data locked onto their SSD unable to delete. I bet alot of people don't even realize it.

What am I doing wrong and is there another way to remove it?

-Edit: I was able to get permissions changed. Not sure how or what caused it but the full control box became checkable.

PSO2 has eaten almost 400 gigs of my hard drive...... I want to reinstall it agaun but I can't risk losing more space

So even according to that treesize program, there's nothing in my windowsapps folder, where else should I look to free up the space taken up by an old install of pso2?

If I delete the folders inside the MutableBackup folders, will I lose my saved data? I put so much time into this game I don't want to lose my progress.

@AnderPander5 said in HDD Space Not Given Back After Uninstall:

If I delete the folders inside the MutableBackup folders, will I lose my saved data? I put so much time into this game I don't want to lose my progress.

No, you will not. Your progress is kept server side, your settings/customizations are kept in your My Documents folder.

@Sephlock said in HDD Space Not Given Back After Uninstall:

So even according to that treesize program, there's nothing in my windowsapps folder, where else should I look to free up the space taken up by an old install of pso2?

You need to go under C:\Program Files\WindowsApps Find a folder named MutableBackup and delete everything inside. It'll take a while, since you prob have thousands of files in there.

Be advised, you'll need to claim rights over your system to access those folders.

@StudiedTie3 said in HDD Space Not Given Back After Uninstall:

PSO2 has eaten almost 400 gigs of my hard drive...... I want to reinstall it agaun but I can't risk losing more space

Read some of the most recent threads above, they show you how to clean up that space. You need to clear your MutableBackup folder.

Problem is, you can't delete the mutable back up without SYSTEM permissions. so you have to go through a long ass process of making yourself become the proclaimed owner of that folder. to do this find the windowsapp folder. click permissions go to security go to advanced at the top you will see a thing that says owner. click on that enter your admin password and use your username for your workstation. when thats done you will now be allowed access into your windowsappdata folder. inside you want ot find mutable backup you want to click that folder do what you did as you did before make yourself the ownwer of that folder. don't delete the mutable folder but go in finde the other two files make yourself the owner of those go in agian make yourself the owner of the data and game guard then delete them. done.