Genuinely curious if the story missions are even needed.

They just seem like they're there for solo players with rewards that get outclassed by random drops. Do they unlock anything or is the story purely for rewards/lore?

finishing the story gives a lot of titles and rewards like items, but other than rewards and lore, i don't believe not doing the story gates off any important content i will say though, doing the story is helpful for progressing quicker

@kobacat said in Genuinely curious if the story missions are even needed.:

finishing the story gives a lot of titles and rewards like items, but other than rewards and lore, i don't believe not doing the story gates off any important content i will say though, doing the story is helpful for progressing quicker

Helpful for new people and I've noticed that they made it so you can just watch the cutscene from the lobby instead of scouring the land for stupid datapads. Way back when I remember doing that in PSO2 JP. Was annoying to all oblivion.

So episode 2 and 3 don't unlock any new zones or bosses? Same with episode 4-5-6 when they come out?

Nope. If you're interested in the lore, I suggest you watch the anime and go straight to EP5 when it comes out so you'll get to EP6. EP6 is the best one so far

As a PSO2JP veteran I can say with all confidence that Story Missions only give you titles and rewards. You can choose to skip them but they do give you some nifty rewards, and in the Japanese version they sometimes gave out Weapon Costumes that were really nice as campaign rewards (Kind of like how people can get Coat Edge in the NA version as a different campaign)

Story progression is linked to some nice prizes from ARKS Missions, especially ones that can give you good entry-level gear for higher difficulties.

If I remember right:

• Ep 4 first chapter give you the right to have acces to earth quest( free field, arks quest and Riding quest)
  • Ep 5 first chapter give you the right to go to omega forest free field. The darkblast can be unlocked by doing the story mode of ep5 or by doing Urgent Quest.

@I-UsagiTsuki-I said in Genuinely curious if the story missions are even needed.:

If I remember right:

• Ep 4 first chapter give you the right to have acces to earth quest( free field, arks quest and Riding quest)
  • Ep 5 first chapter give you the right to go to omega forest free field. The darkblast can be unlocked by doing the story mode of ep5 or by doing Urgent Quest.

This was changed about a year back. You no longer need to complete the story to access those locations, as far as I'm aware. This certainly wasn't the case when I made my second character, but special abilities like Darkblast and a few other nifty prizes (particularly rare drop boosters) are provided by the story missions and side-mission dialogue scenes.

Overall, the player progression experience has been greatly streamlined from episode 4 onwards (for reference the closed beta only covers through episode 3), and this seems to be in corelation to the amount of collaboration cash-shop costumes which are released on a regular basis. PSO2JP has, in my opinion, rather sadly become a transparent money trap; the endgame consists almost solely of farming meseta for costumes and weapons, and whaling for costumes to sell on the market place for extra meseta.

@Vicodin-Villian said in Genuinely curious if the story missions are even needed.:

@I-UsagiTsuki-I said in Genuinely curious if the story missions are even needed.:

If I remember right:

This was changed about a year back. You no longer need to complete the story to access those locations, as far as I'm aware. This certainly wasn't the case when I made my second character, but special abilities like Darkblast and a few other nifty prizes (particularly rare drop boosters) are provided by the story missions and side-mission dialogue scenes.

Overall, the player progression experience has been greatly streamlined from episode 4 onwards (for reference the closed beta only covers through episode 3), and this seems to be in corelation to the amount of collaboration cash-shop costumes which are released on a regular basis. PSO2JP has, in my opinion, rather sadly become a transparent money trap; the endgame consists almost solely of farming meseta for costumes and weapons, and whaling for costumes to sell on the market place for extra meseta.

Oh ok, well its been a long time since I made a new character. Since ep4... 😐

@Vicodin-Villian said in Genuinely curious if the story missions are even needed.:

If I remember right:

Yep, They're almost through chapter 6 now, which covers the ARKS-Photoner War.

If I remember right:

Well, I'm still playing. Its juste when you have already done everything on your main character and already have 4 character who are allready lv up,its hard to know how its work with when you start the game, they changed it so many time. Remember the mather board? lol

If I remember right:

Well, I'm still playing. Its juste when you have already done everything on your main character and already have 4 character who are allready lv up,its hard to know how its work with when you start the game, they changed it so many time. Remember the mather board? lol

Yeah, I remember the matter board. Personally, even though I have three characters on the PSO2JP servers, I'm willing to start afresh here if I can't get a region-to-region account transfer, because I have hope, however slim, that things will turn out differently with PSO2NA.

I don't watch the cutscenes, I skip it to get rewards.

I skip the cutscenes also since I have been watching the anime on Hulu.